+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: All quiet on the transfer front...

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post

Because it has cost them next to nothing to buy a PL club.If we do get relegated then they can syphon out the parachute payments and whats left and quietly retire to the land of the free and the home of the brave.....it is a win win situation.
    Grim assessment once again CiB, but bob on the money once more, I'm afraid to say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Grim assessment once again CiB, but bob on the money once more, I'm afraid to say.
    I prefer realistic to grim because it is only grim for us except Sub.Not grim for Pace and ALK or Garlick and Co.I cannot see any other logical answer as to why Yanks would want to buy BFC other than to make profit on an investment whilst trying to front a picture of being tuned in to the local community just like the banks and other corporations pretend whilst shafting you.I forget the number of e-mails I get from such multi nationals asking if I was satisfied with their customer service and when you rant and rave in reply nothing happens and they just carry on as before.
    Come to think of it, Pace just looks like a bank manager.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 31-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Finding a buyer who wants to grow the club and is willing and able to put in the requisite resources is very difficult indeed - as we know all too well at Bolton - and maybe there's a ray of light for you guys in our experience?
    When Eddie Davies finally called time on throwing more money at us, it took a while for the board to realise the urgency of the situation and by the time panic stations set in they were pretty much ready to sell to anyone and Ken Anderson - a used car salesman who had previously been banned for 9 years from holding a Directorship finally got the gig allegedly for a quid. For which he took ownership of >£100 million of assets including the ground, hotel, loads of land, training ground and Category 1 Academy.

After he pissed away over half of the assets it got to a point where he in turn wanted an exit but the man was an arsehole. One of the potential buyers was an American - Ron Burkle - a billionaire with a strong track record in investing in - and moreover developing sports teams including taking the Pittsburgh Penguins from the brink of oblivion to multiple Stanley Cup wins. Ron kicked the tyres but Anderson pissed him off so much with outrageous demands that he walked.

Then we had serial bankrupt ex-Watford Chairman Laurence Bassini who nobody wanted to come anywhere near the club but when he also fell out with Anderson he took out a court injunction blocking the sale of the club. Wnkr.

By then Bolton and Bury, both founder members of the football league faced extinction and Bury went under but with hours remaining we were bought by the unlikely combination of a lifelong Burnley fan, Pink Floyd's former drummer and some altruistic local businessmen.
    They saved us no mistake although they made it clear from the start we would be operating on a shoestring. This year, 5 Academy kids were given full squad contracts and we put together a promotion winning team with freebies and loanees.

Lessons learned?
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Some fans are never satisfied. In our case we should be glad we exist but there are still a few who are critical of our Board, even though it's been made clear from the outset we are spending f*** all.
    Wring every last drop of pleasure out of the successful times.
    The majority of fans are happier being the underdog.
    It's your club, not the "owners"

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Finding a buyer who wants to grow the club and is willing and able to put in the requisite resources is very difficult indeed - as we know all too well at Bolton - and maybe there's a ray of light for you guys in our experience?
    When Eddie Davies finally called time on throwing more money at us, it took a while for the board to realise the urgency of the situation and by the time panic stations set in they were pretty much ready to sell to anyone and Ken Anderson - a used car salesman who had previously been banned for 9 years from holding a Directorship finally got the gig allegedly for a quid. For which he took ownership of >£100 million of assets including the ground, hotel, loads of land, training ground and Category 1 Academy.

After he pissed away over half of the assets it got to a point where he in turn wanted an exit but the man was an arsehole. One of the potential buyers was an American - Ron Burkle - a billionaire with a strong track record in investing in - and moreover developing sports teams including taking the Pittsburgh Penguins from the brink of oblivion to multiple Stanley Cup wins. Ron kicked the tyres but Anderson pissed him off so much with outrageous demands that he walked.

Then we had serial bankrupt ex-Watford Chairman Laurence Bassini who nobody wanted to come anywhere near the club but when he also fell out with Anderson he took out a court injunction blocking the sale of the club. Wnkr.

By then Bolton and Bury, both founder members of the football league faced extinction and Bury went under but with hours remaining we were bought by the unlikely combination of a lifelong Burnley fan, Pink Floyd's former drummer and some altruistic local businessmen.
    They saved us no mistake although they made it clear from the start we would be operating on a shoestring. This year, 5 Academy kids were given full squad contracts and we put together a promotion winning team with freebies and loanees.

Lessons learned?
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Some fans are never satisfied. In our case we should be glad we exist but there are still a few who are critical of our Board, even though it's been made clear from the outset we are spending f*** all.
    Wring every last drop of pleasure out of the successful times.
    The majority of fans are happier being the underdog.
    It's your club, not the "owners"
    Lusty we survived the "Orient Game". Not much else can phase us.

Lusty we survived the "Orient Game". Not much else can phase us.
    Hopefully not amigo.

I might get phased by this afternoon's game though - we have 5 first teamers out with injury or Covid isolation. Wouldn't normally bother me but it's against a strong Rovers team featuring Armstrong who we had as a 19 year old and was crap, but now he's scoring for fun. Can't be doing with losing to Rovers. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Hopefully not amigo.

I might get phased by this afternoon's game though - we have 5 first teamers out with injury or Covid isolation. Wouldn't normally bother me but it's against a strong Rovers team featuring Armstrong who we had as a 19 year old and was crap, but now he's scoring for fun. Can't be doing with losing to Rovers. Ever.
    Us neither.

Us neither.
    HT and you'll be pleased to know it's going fine so far. MJ has Armstrong in his pocket and we're winning 1 nil. Suspect we'll need Santos, our beast at the back in the second half but he's been rested today.
    Rovers surely won't be comfortable losing to a team that was just promoted to the league below them so close to the start of the season?
    TBH they were already putting in some naughty tackles towards the end of the half so I imagine they'll be going for the throat when they come back out. F*** 'em.

Getting feisty now after Wanderers score a superb second. Rovers fans screaming at their team and manager. You'd love it BT.

Starting to dominate them now, so the Evatt is starting to throw on more kids for the first teamers - which I understand but am not overjoyed about because .....it's Blackburn so I want to be sure of the win.

....and sure enough Blackburn pull one back FFS.
    Last edited by wanderlust; 31-07-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Update

And now a f****** equaliser

I know the young 'uns need game time but there's no way we should be letting Rovers off the hook like this.

Our manager's response? Throw a couple more kids on.
    Last edited by wanderlust; 31-07-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Ended up with 8 kids and 3 seniors on the pitch, but they rallied and nearly snatched the winner.
    2 -2 was a fair result but it's Rovers FFS and I'm not sure our manager realises what it means to beat them.
    Apologies for not giving you guys ammo to taunt them with.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)