+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If it happens, I suspect it will be in aid of charity rather than Lee Hughes.

I would be happy to attend.
    And so would I.

"Everyone knows" is a bit weird, I certainly didn't know. If it was organised to support a worthy charity, such as Victim Support, I might attend. Don't doubt for a second that he was one of the best forwards I have seen playing for Notts. Can't see current owners wanting to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    If it happens, I suspect it will be in aid of charity rather than Lee Hughes.

I would be happy to attend.
    Reading the article to the end he is quoted as saying the proceeds are intended to go to the NHS. I am another happy to attend. Hughes committed an awful crime for which he served his sentence and has shown true remorse over the years. He, like anyone from any walk of life, should be permitted a second chance once punishment has been served.

Last few lines of the Post article:

''Now, he’s looking to return to the pitch one final time to end his 25-year football career, alongside some of his former teammates at both Notts County and West Brom.

Plans were in place last summer for a match to take place when he initially hung up his boots.

The game was set to be played at Halesowen Town in order to raise money for the NHS, but the pandemic halted those plans''.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Reading the article to the end he is quoted as saying the proceeds are intended to go to the NHS. I am another happy to attend. Hughes committed an awful crime for which he served his sentence and has shown true remorse over the years. He, like anyone from any walk of life, should be permitted a second chance once punishment has been served.
    Agree with this. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people at Notts doing the job he was born and loved to do. Our top scorer in a single season since Tommy Lawton and he probably would have gone on longer and scored more for Notts if it hadn't have been for Keith Curle.
    If he's going to do it at Notts, he'd probably get a much bigger crowd if he can arrange it to take place in the summer/pre-season, but probably too late for that this year.

The mention of George Burley makes me think that someone’s taking the p1zz.

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I certainly won't be going,I've got the same respect for his actions that I have for Joey Bartons
    Did his time so in our system he's paid his dues but also can see both sides. Still was a good player for Notts, loves the club and I for one would love to see him scoring one last time at the lane for Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    The link to the Nottingham Post article suggests that he isn't.

It wouldn't be Mapperley without a sneaky mention of George Burley!

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    I thought that too.

The best finisher I’ve seen at Meadow Lane and never gave less than 100%. As has already been pointed out, any funds would go to charity so I’d be happy to see that dance one more time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12