+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strongest team

Strongest team

On another thread, I've suggested that DA would want to put his starting 11 out tonight. Bearing in mind that Lowery is on the naughty step and unlikely to be considered, what do you think is Artell's strongest line-up, for when the season starts for real? The middle section of the team is going to be the hardest part to judge.
    For me (at this precise moment) it is:

Jaskelainen

Ramsey
    Daniels
    Offord
    Adebisi

Murphy
    Lundstram

Ainley

Dale
    Mandron
    Kirk

Subs: Richards (!); Hoban; Johnson; Finney; Griffiths; Long; and Onyeka

Clearly that means no McDonald, who may shape up as the season progresses; no Sass Davies as although he is useful at dead ball situations, doesn't seem to have the temperament at the moment; no Porter who will only be making occasional appearances anyway. Some might wonder about my inclusion of Mandron considering we haven't seen much of him pre-season but I believe his ball holding skills to be essential to our attack. I'm also less inclined to play Ainley and Finney in the same team as both are relatively weak when we don't have the ball and when we do have it, at least Ainley shows considerable skills getting it forward. Finney's one (but very important) advantage, scoring from midfield, may not be as strong if Ainley adds goals to his locker.
    Murphy is in for his strength, solidity and ability to calm things down. Lundstram is also calm on the ball and has quick feet. He has also shown he can find space upfront and score a good goal.
    Up front was difficult for me. As everyone will know, I whinge and get very exasperated with Charlie. However, I have enough faith in him to expect him to realise that he is being overtaken by others in the production stakes and for him to up his involvement in the game. Dale for me is automatic and the first name on the sheet. We are now very lucky to have Long available. He has come here expecting to get games and he will be included depending on how the team is set up to play. The point is he can easily step in for any of the front three but, I'd prefer him to be wide rather than down the middle (If we are playing 3 up front). In other formations he could play off the number 9. Onyeka will be a great player to have on the bench. His pace is great and he has already shown how easily he can nick the ball off opponents toes. Just the player to come off the bench when the opposition are getting tired.

Artell says he's still looking for a left back and we certainly need cover in that position. All we need now is a another goalkeeper (?)
    Last edited by gazan; 27-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.

For me the back four would be Ramsay, Daniels, Sass-Davies, Adebisi. Believe Sass is better in the air, more mobile, and has better distribution.
    Murphy and Lundstram without a doubt.

Doubt that Mandrom has had enough game time so would prefer Long in the middle supported by Ainley, Dale and Kirk.

Could be that this season our attacks will be more direct and quicker

Certainly agree with half that. We'll just have to continue this season with a new pair to disagree about: Offord/Sass-Davies (although latter undoubtedly better in the air).
    Thing with Long is that the style of play would have to be different from when Mandron plays.
    However, am looker forward to a pacier style of play.

Sounds like you have your team spot on. A goalie who does not control his penalty area and a centre back who cannot head the ball. Nice to see that you have the dead ball situation covered and there will be no soft goals conceded.

You prefer Richards????

Heading away dead balls is what Daniels is for.
    Why be so antagonistic????

No I do not prefer Richards. Neither of our goalie make any attempt to control the penalty area.

Ah so clearing the ball from dead ball situations is DDs responsibility LOL. Can just imagine where we give away a soft goal and the goalie and Offord turn on DD and say "Why the hell did you not clear that ball, that is your fault. You know fine well that clearing balls in the air is not our job.".

If I point out glaring weaknesses in our team I am being antagonistic, WOW.

No, just the aggressive sarcasm. This is a forum for discussion. So you disagree with me? That's the point of discussion. It's not about winning and pouring scorn on other people's opinions. If you look at my post where I disagree with you, it's done in a light-hearted way as due a fellow Alex fan. I am not your enemy.

Oh for goodness sake Gazan stop letting your imagination running away. I have never intentionally stooped to aggressive sarcasm. I really got so used to being the one who was getting slagged off because I openly admitted that I did not rate a certain midfielder. I was continually accused of having no football knowledge whatsoever by self opiniated supporters, and none of it pleasant. Unfortunately that is the name of the game. I am sure you are not aware, but you do have a tendency to post in a manner that you assume that you are right, and therefore you take offence easily when other supporters disagree with you. It does get a touch tiresome at times. No offence meant.

If you are going to continue posting on a football forum learn to have a thick skin. You really have no idea how offensive previous Crewe Alex forums were. Quite a few ended up being banned. Don`t take my word for it ask MikeSB.

I am aware how bad they got. I was there too. Why should I be thick-skinned, we're discussing ideas not engaging in personal fights. I thought we were on the same side- alex fans!.
    As for thinking I am right, why would I argue for something if I knew it was wrong?
    All my arguments are about football and ideas. I'm not interested in silly point-scoring.
    This website has been dealing with discussion of ideas for the last couple of years. I would rather it stayed that way.
    Anyway, can we get away from the personal bickering as we're using up a valid thread - this is what used to happen a few years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast