+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s going on here???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    It's not we can't, It is we won't compete with Brentford. Or any other club on the planet.
    Now that is perfectly in context Scott.

Without wanting to make the situation seem worse, does anybody else think that this might jeopardise the takeover? I don't mean 'if we get relegated because we haven't signed anyone' even, which clearly would change the picture massively. But even if we stay up, this lack of recruitment is surely a problem. Imagine you bid for a fully furnished house, but because of solicitors dragging their heels, covid delays to viewings, searches, etc. it took way longer than you imagined. You really want the house though, so you say you're happy to wait. But, what if - in the meantime - the seller then started selling off some pretty decent bits of furniture, and just letting other bits go for nowt to the charity shops? When the deal is ready to finally sign off, would you be happy still paying the same price? It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that they'd been asset stripping during the delay, and that the thing you initially put an offer in for now isn't worth what you bid. A reasonable seller might 'fess up and agree to lower the price. But what if they're a total dick, and insist on the agreed sale price? How would you move forward there?

That's basically what is happening at the moment. I'm not too pessimistic yet because the window is still open, but if we don't sign anyone other than loans, and we've sold off players like Lejeune who is actually a good player, then we're potentially going to be left in a situation where the buyers say 'Hang on a minute...' The only real assets our club has is the player contracts. We'll have fewer of those on the books after this window IF we fail to sign players. We don't own the ground our stadium sits on, so the buyers aren't in it for a property deal, so it's literally about the footballing potential of the club. Given that, I can't see how the club isn't devalued by inaction in the window.

Well ASM is probably worth £50 mill of the £350 mill Ashley wants for the club. And you could argue that Callum Wilson is worth about £20 mill....

I see what you're saying...not strengthening the team must devalue the price of the club

It's a fair point...but I think the takeover is doomed regardless.

The PL's stalling tactics are going to get them what they want in the end, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    It's a fair point...but I think the takeover is doomed regardless.

The PL's stalling tactics are going to get them what they want in the end, imo.
    Yeah, I probably should have said I don't think it's a done deal or anything - I just mean it's creating yet another hurdle. And it isn't one we can blame the PL for.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    Yeah, I probably should have said I don't think it's a done deal or anything - I just mean it's creating yet another hurdle. And it isn't one we can blame the PL for.
    Well...we kinda can. If it wasn't for them, we'd be shopping in Fenwick's foodhall instead of standing outside Gregg's at closing time asking if there's anything we could have from the stuff they're chucking away.

I’ve been away to Greenland the past few weeks, so sorry for being slow - but have we even signed a single player for the senior squad for this season???

Even for Ashley this seems unprecedented. We usually get a few freebies from the relegated sides.

Indeed we have not, Hughie.

Only PL club not to sign anyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)