+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: GIRUY 2021/22 Season

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    13 games, and not all of 90 minutes, before Glass has given him new responsibilities, I think the commentary on the first Hacken game said.

“Minutes” is the new cliché. Not sure how many he got, and the sending off for one bookable offence in that European game would have reduced them appreciably. Enough however, to see him vilified by the armchair Herreras in these here parts. I suppose at least it gave Andrew Considine a bit of respite.

Had fans’ reaction in 77-79 been listened to, Gordon Strachan would have been binned almost before he started. His debut was memorable though. Thanks, Ian Fleming. http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...8&squad=Senior
    Mind that well, was the match on Sportscene, in off the post in the last minutes fae the creator of 007

Short Narey passback (his 114th of the match) in the 89th minute. Fleming intercepted and squeezed the leathern sphere in from near the touchline. 3500 of us massed behind the Allotment End goal gave a polite ripple of applause as it nestled in front of us.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 13-08-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    13 games, and not all of 90 minutes, before Glass has given him new responsibilities, I think the commentary on the first Hacken game said.

“Minutes” is the new cliché. Not sure how many he got, and the sending off for one bookable offence in that European game would have reduced them appreciably. Enough however, to see him vilified by the armchair Herreras in these here parts. I suppose at least it gave Andrew Considine a bit of respite.

Had fans’ reaction in 77-79 been listened to, Gordon Strachan would have been binned almost before he started. His debut was memorable though. Thanks, Ian Fleming. http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...8&squad=Senior
    I M D Foote WHAT A CNUT

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I thought I saw promise in Ojo to begin with but he soon lost his way completely.
    If he makes a comeback as a fans favorite then it'll be the biggest turnaround I've ever seen, and I include Strachan in that.
    With Strachan, I think everyone knew he had the talent, it just wasn't working for him.
    I wasn't short of shouting at him myself.
    Yeah wee Gorden wasn't an instant hit...Jim Shirra went as part of the deal. I always liked him, remember he half inched a hun shortly after joining so became a favourite. I thought we had done a bad deal, what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    Yeah wee Gorden wasn't an instant hit...Jim Shirra went as part of the deal. I always liked him, remember he half inched a hun shortly after joining so became a favourite. I thought we had done a bad deal, what do I know
    Shirra made his debut after we signed him from Brockville v the Tims in a memorable 2-1 win in October 76. He kicked everything in green that came into his sphere of nastiness, following that up a week later by out-toughing the sneaky late-tackling cowardice of George Fleming and associated McLean brutes as we caned them 3-2. In between, he missed the 5-1 extirpation if the huns (1872-2012, Rot In Purgatory) as he was cup-tied with the Bairns. Vicious, but nearly always* fair, he looked like a man with something to prove, and a 40 gallon drum of peroxide in his shed. Epitomised the phrase , ‘when he tackled, you STAYED ****ing tackled’. Proper Mannies’ midfield ‘enforcer’.

* needs further research

Jim Shirra, aye he was a plaaaaaaer.
    Proper auld school midfielder.
    I do recall some disquiet at him being used as "makeweight" in the Strachan deal.

As a lad, I always had faith in Strachan after seeing him tear us a new one in a cup tie at Dens that finished 0-0 due to Bobby Clark playing a blinder.

We contrived to lose the reply at the Pitt 2 - 1 due to a late Willie Miller cock up that saw him being booed for the remainder of the game.
    This game later became somewhat controversial when The Sunday Mail, displaying journalistic acumen that would've had Woodward and Bernstein sh1tting themselves, published allegations that some Dons' players threw the game.
    Their latter day Deep Throat being an overheard conversation in a call box involving a p1shed bloke.

And the Saturday after the ill-fated cup tie I recall we beat raselickbyrawaybutbigman 2 - 0 at a sun kissed Pitt.... possibly via a Dom Sullivan double?
    And it was "One Willie Miller" from the Beach End.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post

We contrived to lose the reply at the Pitt 2 - 1.
    I remember as a wee 10 year old lad crying on my walk home after that game. No idea why I got so emotional, but I remember greeting.

Yip
    I was nearly greeting myself.
    Was there a big crowd that night?
    I remember watching the game from an unusual vantage point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Kennedy is definitely on his way out anyway.
    He’s never been good enough. He doesn’t beat his man. His crossing is poor. Doesn’t get efforts on goal. In fact, He’s utterly bang average and its best he be on his way.

Seems odds on to me that the likes of Watford will play a game of brinksmanship and bid 2M for Ferguson on the last day of the window to see how much we need the money and can resist the players urge to leave.

Hedges will, as all players who are fancied in England, turn down the contract and we may yet have a larger bid to deal with as he’s looking good. I can see at least two new faces if the Merry go round starts spinning. We’re so thin as a squad.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post

And the Saturday after the ill-fated cup tie I recall we beat raselickbyrawaybutbigman 2 - 0 at a sun kissed Pitt.... possibly via a Dom Sullivan double?
    And it was "One Willie Miller" from the Beach End.
    Played in a howling gale coming off the North Sea. The pitch was drier than a witch’s pap or a nun’s nasty. Wind at our backs we scored about 20 minutes in, dreading the turnaround when we’d be under the cosh. The Tims made **** all of it though, and Bumper (see elsewhere) got a second about ten minutes fae the end if my memory serves.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...7&squad=Senior

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast