+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Manchester City v Barnsley Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Good thoughtful post.
    And comparing that with the Man City game I.e. the tactics Schopp seems to be employing.

Firstly - Man City didn’t play their 1st team - but neither did we.
    And that was clearly evident when going forward - when the ball was played forward nothing stuck.
    Last season our most successful period of a match was when Dike and Morris were on the field at the same time.
    IMO we greatly missed that against City - as Obbi wasn’t available.
    WE NEVER OFFERED A THREAT
    Our movement going forward was abysmal.

But if we had Obbi available at the side of Morris then we would have had the players on the field to hold the ball up allowing our midfield and wing backs to get forward.
    Against City I can’t remember a time when our wing backs crossed the half way line.
    And if this is an example of how Oduor plays as a wing back - then we know now why Valérien didn’t give him any game time last season.
    We are after another left wing back - and we desperately need one.
    Oduor maybe a good fullback - but he doesn’t know how to play as a wing back.
    In saying that - neither did Styles at the beginning of last season - but he soon learnt.

With nothing happening up front Styles didn’t get a chance to show what he can do going forward.
    BIG POSITIVE - and mark my words here - even on just a 2nd half showing - Benson looked to be a better player than Mowatt.
    He is quicker, tackled stronger and his distribution is good.

So then - in conclusion:
    Defence - Kitchen and Moon struggled against City but then again they were facing top opposition.
    Our defence is basically solid - but with Mads out we have only 4 players available to fill 3 positions.

Midfield - If we get another left wing back our midfield now that we have Benson should be stronger than last season.

Strikers - with the availability of better strikers Obbi, Cole and hopefully Leya - and to add to that Morris - then our strike force should be better than last season.

Ive only seen one match and the highlights of others - but on the face of things - Schopp is struggling to get a grip of the players and tactics.
    He is an experienced manager so he will get there in time.
    But at the moment it’s looking like the continuity within the club has been broken - it seems Adam Murray, the person who was there when a new manager was appointed is being missed.

Yes of course our players are here to improve individually and by doing so move the club forward. And if a good offer comes in they are there to make money for the club.
    Will our players have more value finishing 5th under the Valérien style - or finishing say 12th under the passing style of Schopp ???
    That would be a hard one to call.
    The club is definitely going through a period of transition there's little argument there .

Whilst we aren't exactly building a new squad as we did two years ago the transition taking place is none the less difficult to negotiate .

The fan base may have to be patient and try not to make too many comparisons to last season with regard to results .

With fans back inside Oakwell I sincerely hope expectations are sensible ones .

This transition may take several months to come to fruition and they maybe some disappointing results early doors .

I do think we have the players to play out from the back to a certain degree , Sibbick , Kitching and Helik are comfortably enough on the ball although Andersen may be a slight concern when he's back fit as good a defender that he is .

The midfield lads and wing backs are all part of the process of playing out , Benson looks assured , Styles too with the ball , Palmer may need some work on his first touch when under pressure so it's going to be a work in progress .

Ultimately playing out starts with the keeper and Collins looks to have won the gig in goal , if it looks tight his decision making is key and if it needs to go out of play then it needs to and we reset .

We've got to be sensible with this .

The key thing to understand is that if you play through the opposition press then there's space to work with going forward .

It's a risk and reward strategy but as I say there has to be a certain level of common sense attached to it .

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I have a feeling mixing it up may well be the case animal.

Here’s what Toby Sibbick recently had to say:

I’m looking forward to playing the ball out from defence under Markus Schopp but believes Barnsley will not repeat the errors of the 2019/20 season as he says: ‘when the ball has to go, it has to go.’
    That's comforting to know Poggy .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Well you can carry on climbing up onto 'other platforms' all you like kid, I don't really care.

Yes we do all have an opinion and I WILL always stick by mine (whether its wrong or ridiculous or sh*ite etc), but thank you very much for pointing that out.
    I’m going to hold you to that Acido.
    If anyone is likely to have views on here that are perceived to be odd then thats likely to be me.
    I know that - not just on message boards but in life in general.
    Never one to run with the pack.
    But always welcoming of alternative views.

If anyone is likely to have views on here that are perceived to be odd then thats likely to be me.
    I know that - not just on message boards but in life in general.
    Never one to run with the pack.
    But always welcoming of alternative views.
    Alternative opinions come with credible views Nudge .

Putting something out there for the sake of it will always come with a reaction .

Acido says he sticks to his guns no matter how ridiculous his view is which is something I find bizarre .

SB hasn't a single good thing to say about the club no matter what , under Cryne he didn't have a bad word to say .

There comes a point when it's difficult to take posters seriously under such circumstances .

You yourself at TIMES fall in to that bracket so understandably you get a reaction .

We are all wrong on here from time to time but knowing your wrong and still maintaining your position is probably not a good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Alternative opinions come with credible views Nudge .

Putting something out there for the sake of it will always come with a reaction .

Acido says he sticks to his guns no matter how ridiculous his view is which is something I find bizarre .

SB hasn't a single good thing to say about the club no matter what , under Cryne he didn't have a bad word to say .

There comes a point when it's difficult to take posters seriously under such circumstances .

You yourself at TIMES fall in to that bracket so understandably you get a reaction .

We are all wrong on here from time to time but knowing your wrong and still maintaining your position is probably not a good idea .
    Yep ….. if yer proved wrong it is only fair to admit it.
    If I’m proved to be wrong - I’ll be the first to admit it.
    But in saying that - I don’t know SB or his views - but if those are his views then I for one will accept and support him having those views - even tho I very much do not agree with him on this occasion.

I recently posted views on Woodrow that I knew would not be popular - I sincerely hope Woodrow proves me wrong this season.
    And if he does I’ll be there to admit it.

Football message boards are all about opinions.
    If everyone agreed about things all of the time then the message board would ultimately die.
    But this is football - and it sparks passion and debate.

So if you have a view - don’t be scared, put it on the message board and argue your case.
    How many do you hear say - they read the message boards but don’t post ???
    Why - are they concerned they may receive personal abuse ???
    You won’t get any personal abuse coming from me that’s for sure.
    Anyone throwing personal abuse about means …… childish behaviour because they lost the debate.

Me im just a fan (fanatic). So shoot me for being this wy but i start every season wanting to win the thing.....
    Never been part of the i dont care how they do club....infact thease people are my mortal enemy.
    In life im an old bloke trying to live a modern life.
    But.
    If you can show me im wrong without being condescending ill listen.

I seem to have been brought into this debate.

I agree with your general premise Nudge about being able to express a view about something which may differ from others. I may not agree with every word you say but will defend to the upmost your right to say it. It doesn't matter one jot if self-styled leaders of board opinion and their followers do not respect your opinions or take your views seriously. i have received several instances of personal abuse, mocking or attempts to denigrate me over recent times.

I loved the season under Daniel Stendel and praised the player's efforts on several occasions. I reserve the right not to praise Ismael and Conway.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyDaft View Post
    Me im just a fan (fanatic). So shoot me for being this wy but i start every season wanting to win the thing.....
    Never been part of the i dont care how they do club....infact thease people are my mortal enemy.
    In life im an old bloke trying to live a modern life.
    But.
    If you can show me im wrong without being condescending ill listen.
    Thing what I’m getting from that is that you CARE.
    Some supporters forget about the club as soon as they leave the ground …… I don’t - and it looks like you don’t.

If anyone is likely to have views on here that are perceived to be odd then thats likely to be me. I know that - not just on message boards but in life in general. Never one to run with the pack. But always welcoming of alternative views.
    I actually take that as a compliment Nudger, cheers lad.

Anyway as most of us have suggested, this match away at Man City of all teams was perhaps a wrong choice for us to take. And thats before we think of how badly the Watford match cancellation happened.

But alas its almost upon us again, another new season with new thoughts and expectations etc. And who do we play first on the opening day ehh, only one of our worst bogey team fixtures in Cardiff away!!.
    Id TAP right now if I could, that means I would Take A Point there if I/we could.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I actually take that as a compliment Nudger, cheers lad.

Anyway as most of us have suggested, this match away at Man City of all teams was perhaps a wrong choice for us to take. And thats before we think of how badly the Watford match cancellation happened.

But alas its almost upon us again, another new season with new thoughts and expectations etc. And who do we play first on the opening day ehh, only one of our worst bogey team fixtures in Cardiff away!!.
    Id TAP right now if I could, that means I would Take A Point there if I/we could.
    Ont TAP ageeun !! Nowt changes lol !! That meeunz( lots of love) a think !!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast