+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowflake Culture Infecting Our Olympic Team.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    There's a lot of truth in this Mick. I'm 61. A sixtees child. The tough plenty of backbone approach did a lot of good except for where kids needed the opposite. As you know I am suffering now due to a schizophrenic cruel mother and a dad who was told "Don't praise kids, it will go to their heads" How I needed some attention, love and praise but no nothing. Now I can't see love if it stares me in the face. I don't know how to smile, if I try it feels like the most false thing ever. I remember going to school and if a kid had cross eyes the parents did nothing, "She'll be alright" they would say. It was a case of shut up or put up. Interestingly I have been trying to access parental records to try and understand as much as I can and the guy from social services said that we have been inundated with people from my age group doing the same thing. Took him three months to come back to me with nothing as it happened. I agree with having strong standards but only if the kids can take it. Many with stable backgrounds can and it builds an inner steel, but those who are battered as an infant need the complete opposite. They need to know and feel that someone actually cares about them.

Totally understand and get all that Boingy. Every child is different where one needs constant praise and attention and another one does not. Autism and Aspergers were not really recognised years ago but thank the lord they are now and much needed help is there. It’s also true a school is different and suits every individual child - I know a friend who sends one child to a state school as nothing worries her but the other child goes to a private school where there’s 15 in a class and she gets constant attention and a loving arm around the shoulder.

I do though agree there was more respect in the sixties which is missing now and a much firmer approach. The recent police attacks up 20% is shocking and for those offenders they should be birched in public and named and shamed.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    There's a lot of truth in this Mick. I'm 61. A sixtees child. The tough plenty of backbone approach did a lot of good except for where kids needed the opposite. As you know I am suffering now due to a schizophrenic cruel mother and a dad who was told "Don't praise kids, it will go to their heads" How I needed some attention, love and praise but no nothing. Now I can't see love if it stares me in the face. I don't know how to smile, if I try it feels like the most false thing ever. I remember going to school and if a kid had cross eyes the parents did nothing, "She'll be alright" they would say. It was a case of shut up or put up. Interestingly I have been trying to access parental records to try and understand as much as I can and the guy from social services said that we have been inundated with people from my age group doing the same thing. Took him three months to come back to me with nothing as it happened. I agree with having strong standards but only if the kids can take it. Many with stable backgrounds can and it builds an inner steel, but those who are battered as an infant need the complete opposite. They need to know and feel that someone actually cares about them.
    I’m sorry to hear how badly you were affected by terrible parenting mate.

Only in recent days have I been discussing my relationship with my own mother with one of my daughters and my wife.

Mum had mentioned to my daughter about how much she’s missed my dad over the last 18 years and how their relationship was “a laugh a minute” according to mum.

This came as a massive surprise to me seeing as all I could recall was the constant rows and the numerous times my dad “left” her due to her being such a neurotic pain in the a r s e.

Constantly moody and short tempered, nothing ever seemed right for her and any trip was a misery with her forever on my case and my brothers and niggling at my dad.

I’m nearly 60 but when I gave it some thought I couldn’t remember mum ever cuddling or comforting me.

Dad was different, he could be a disciplinarian when needed but he was fun and funny and would comfort you when it was needed.

Even now at nearly 83 mum can be very difficult and selfish and I have an awkward relationship with her, I’m the one who calls her out and confronts her unacceptable behaviour.

I totally agree with what you say about this in relation to kids etc and especially home life.

My point is more about people like this rower, a grown man who’s entered a sport which is well documented to have a tough, Spartan regime in GB under Juergen Grobler for more than 30 years.

It was the same when Aussie Bill Sweetnam took over at GB swimming in the 90’s when our results were dire, he ruffled feathers with his boot camp approach but it started getting results and look where we are now.

Our cycling team has had fantastic results but we’re on the decline since hard a r s e s like Shane Sutton were accused of being too “bullying” and discarded.

I’m sorry but if you’re an adult and you can’t stand the heat then get out of the kitchen when it comes to elite sport.

I totally get your point Mick. Sorry to hear about your lack as a child too. Those first few years are pivotal in giving an adult the tools to cope with life successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Like most people I only take any real notice of rowing when the Olympics is on, it is a sport that I regret not having given a go to on a personal level.

Our performance has been utterly woeful and we’ve gone from dominating the previous three Olympics to now finish 14th despite being the best funded U.K. sport at the games.

I wondered why, under head coach Juergen Grobler we’d ruled supreme.

Ahhh......it now transpires that Juergen was forced out last August and the new head man prefers a new age “softer” approach and athletes have “more say” in the way they are trained and their mental health is a massive factor!

Sir Steve Redgrave hit the nail on the head when he retorted that this is all fine and dandy but just expect “softer” results as we fall back to levels of performance we saw in the 70’s.

One of the 8 member bronze winning team ( we normally always win the goal ) symtsyed behind after getting his medal yesterday to catch the eye of the TV stations and accused Juergen of “destroying souls” amongst other things......the other 7 team members vehemently defended the previous coach when asked.

I’d like to bet the one who did the complaining ( Josh Bugajski ) becomes a media darling and poster boy for all this “Nancy Boy” s h I t in the coming months.

It’s interesting that swimming hasn’t yet been infected with this nonsense and just look at the results.

I honestly don’t understand what any athlete would fail to understand about this elite level, it’s going to be painful and it’s going to take extreme sacrifice and pain so if you’re not up to it mentally then don’t stay involved.

I be was a decent runner at the end of my 20’s, any runner will tell you that a self taught 36.05 time for 10k running is pretty damned good and boy did it hurt to get to that.

To get that down by another 4-5 minutes to be at elite county level blows my mind just thinking about it and to chip around 10 minutes of it to get to Mo Farrah’s level is beyond my comprehension.......I’d have loved to have started my running in my early years though just to have had the chance to “hurt” that much because I’ve always had the steel and discipline to train hard.

I fear for our competitive future with idiots like this rower throwing hand grenades around.

The occasional “voice on a stick” like this does more damage than the 99% who fit into the expected regime.

Image of Tom Daly knitting whilst many were watching the women's springboard final. Talk about showing the world you are gay - why does he not just put his a rse in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Image of Tom Daly knitting whilst many were watching the women's springboard final. Talk about showing the world you are gay - why does he not just put his a rse in the air?
    I don’t need Tom Daly to knit or to be on all fours with his a r s e pointing at a portrait of Dale Winton to know he’s gay mate.

I’m not being wise after the event either.

When he first came to public attention at 12 years of age I said to my wife that it was obvious he was gay.

Maybe it’s my “straight” antenna that picks this up but it’s the way gay men tend to hold their heads and their mannerisms that I immediately notice, they seem to have very female type movements.

With gay women it’s different, a lot of them seem to be very “hard faced” as my mum would describe it, they seem to have a definite tendency towards male mannerisms in a lot of cases.

Watching the female cricket is a prime example, it’s very obvious that a large majority are gay, I’m never remotely surprised when Nasser Hussain asks one of the laydeees about their wife.

Maybe it’s just me but I seem to be able to spot a gay a mile off!?

I don’t need Tom Daly to knit or to be on all fours with his a r s e pointing at a portrait of Dale Winton to know he’s gay mate.

I’m not being wise after the event either.

When he first came to public attention at 12 years of age I said to my wife that it was obvious he was gay.

Maybe it’s my “straight” antenna that picks this up but it’s the way gay men tend to hold their heads and their mannerisms that I immediately notice, they seem to have very female type movements.

With gay women it’s different, a lot of them seem to be very “hard faced” as my mum would describe it, they seem to have a definite tendency towards male mannerisms in a lot of cases.

Watching the female cricket is a prime example, it’s very obvious that a large majority are gay, I’m never remotely surprised when Nasser Hussain asks one of the laydeees about their wife.

Maybe it’s just me but I seem to be able to spot a gay a mile off!?

Maybe it’s your natural defence mechanism/intuition?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    [/B]

Maybe it’s your natural defence mechanism/intuition?
    I really don’t know Kets.

Probably a result of the way us born in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s were brought up to think that being gay was wrong.

I have a cousin who was born with both male abs female parts, they didn’t know if they’d got Arthur or Martha.

Sadly they chose the wrong option and “Malcolm” stood out a mile, from a very young age it was obvious that the female option should’ve been chosen.

Hey just on a side note Mick seeing as its August 1st, happy Yorkshire day to you, from one Yorkie to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey just on a side note Mick seeing as its August 1st, happy Yorkshire day to you, from one Yorkie to another.
    I only dare celebrate Black Country Day these days 🤣

I only dare celebrate Black Country Day these days ��
    Its one of the few things that still always makes me proud Mick, the white rose county. And Im sure we all feel the same don't we, about where we come from.

I do always like supporting our athletes when it comes to something like the Olympics, and I really don't think differently about anybody, regarding their 'preferences'.
    I don't blame Tom Daley for this, its the awful presenters and media who just have to keep making an issue out of it.

Anyway lads, lets all raise a glass to this picture, and yes hey Im buying you all a beer today, 'cos its Yorkie day and that puts me in a happy mood.

Name:  yorkshire badge.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  79.2 KB
    Last edited by Acido; 01-08-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)