+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake Culture Infecting Our Olympic Team.

Snowflake Culture Infecting Our Olympic Team.

Like most people I only take any real notice of rowing when the Olympics is on, it is a sport that I regret not having given a go to on a personal level.

Our performance has been utterly woeful and we’ve gone from dominating the previous three Olympics to now finish 14th despite being the best funded U.K. sport at the games.

I wondered why, under head coach Juergen Grobler we’d ruled supreme.

Ahhh......it now transpires that Juergen was forced out last August and the new head man prefers a new age “softer” approach and athletes have “more say” in the way they are trained and their mental health is a massive factor!

Sir Steve Redgrave hit the nail on the head when he retorted that this is all fine and dandy but just expect “softer” results as we fall back to levels of performance we saw in the 70’s.

One of the 8 member bronze winning team ( we normally always win the goal ) symtsyed behind after getting his medal yesterday to catch the eye of the TV stations and accused Juergen of “destroying souls” amongst other things......the other 7 team members vehemently defended the previous coach when asked.

I’d like to bet the one who did the complaining ( Josh Bugajski ) becomes a media darling and poster boy for all this “Nancy Boy” s h I t in the coming months.

It’s interesting that swimming hasn’t yet been infected with this nonsense and just look at the results.

I honestly don’t understand what any athlete would fail to understand about this elite level, it’s going to be painful and it’s going to take extreme sacrifice and pain so if you’re not up to it mentally then don’t stay involved.

I be was a decent runner at the end of my 20’s, any runner will tell you that a self taught 36.05 time for 10k running is pretty damned good and boy did it hurt to get to that.

To get that down by another 4-5 minutes to be at elite county level blows my mind just thinking about it and to chip around 10 minutes of it to get to Mo Farrah’s level is beyond my comprehension.......I’d have loved to have started my running in my early years though just to have had the chance to “hurt” that much because I’ve always had the steel and discipline to train hard.

I fear for our competitive future with idiots like this rower throwing hand grenades around.

The occasional “voice on a stick” like this does more damage than the 99% who fit into the expected regime.

Softer approach - mental health!! Poor c unts!

Hard graft in a factory 10 hours a day to put food on the table can put more pressure on mental health! Frightened of bills landing on the doorstep can trigger mental health and not whether it’s steak or f uckin salmon for dinner!

I don’t know enough about the rowing performances or reasons for the drop at this olympics but seen snippets of what this guy said. I think if you are ever going to come out and say that someone demoralised you, at least win a medal to prove your point.

Anyway, I think sometimes in football especially with England we get this snowflake reaction/mentality.. Southgate is one, some of the players maybe too. Would be keen to hear what others view on this?

I think the whole mental health thing has gone too far. Like that american Biles, how old is she? I know depression and anxiety is serious stuff, but how easy is it to say you are suffering from it? Do people just look for that escape and go down that road of misery and once in, you are in the shi te? i don’t know. It seems so easy to say you are having mental health issues these days especially when you have not had enough of life of incidents to really know how bad something is. Anyway i’m rambling and drinking so probably not making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    I don’t know enough about the rowing performances or reasons for the drop at this olympics but seen snippets of what this guy said. I think if you are ever going to come out and say that someone demoralised you, at least win a medal to prove your point.

Anyway, I think sometimes in football especially with England we get this snowflake reaction/mentality.. Southgate is one, some of the players maybe too. Would be keen to hear what others view on this?

I think the whole mental health thing has gone too far. Like that american Biles, how old is she? I know depression and anxiety is serious stuff, but how easy is it to say you are suffering from it? Do people just look for that escape and go down that road of misery and once in, you are in the shi te? i don’t know. It seems so easy to say you are having mental health issues these days especially when you have not had enough of life of incidents to really know how bad something is. Anyway i’m rambling and drinking so probably not making sense.

You make perfect sense Regis! Some of these rich/successful people do it for attention seeking! Biles for example has been headline news and probably had less news if she had not competed. I know she's had a tough time - but stay at f uckin home if your mental health is an issue - I am sure the rest of the team don't want to hear it! What is the hope - they all cuddle the person telling them they are fantastic for more attention.

Maybe Meghan and Biles should spend a few weeks in a textile/fish factory earning the minimum wage to feed themselves and get up around 5am. The mental pressure then is to earn to eat and clothe oneself! I know it's not all about money but there's less sympathy for those who are a celebrity or who are loaded. I am sure there are private clinics at many thousands of pounds per day that these rich people could go to with all the mod cons. Those with no money and who have mental health issues have to wait 2 weeks to see a GP if lucky! Many who use mental health/suicidal thoughts actually block up the system for those who are on the verge!

A lot of us have days when we feel really low.

Outside of this years health issues I’ve had another serious issue that’s been on my mind for almost 7 months now and still not resolved.

Some days I’ve felt utterly dismal but I just put my boots on and get on with work and life.

If you’re in your mid to late 50’s like a lot of us on here we were taught at school in the 60’s and 70’s by people who fought in WW2 and others who were children in that period.

Same when I stated work in 78, the lads who were the age I am now ( 59 ) were born around the end of WW1 and fought in WW2 and well into the 1980’s it was these people who were the gaffers at work.

It was f u c k I n g tough being handled by these people, they were as hard as nails physically and mentally but scrupulously fair I usually found and they taught great values and had huge backbone.

In realty a lot of our age group have been too easy on the kids we’ve brought into the world allied to the s h y t e spouted in the media over the last 25 years.

Anyone much below 50 years of age wouldn’t have a clue as to the way many of us were brought up and taught life skills by these giants born in the early part of the 20th century.

The “heroes” these days are that simpering, walking foetus Greta Thunberg and blokes with a beard and a f u c k I n g skirt who want a public toilet with no “gender bias” written on the door.

All this extended maternity leave for men was a sign of the way things were going to go, we’ve encouraged everyone to be too bloody soft.

It’s nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post

I do agree that athletes need to be pushed hard and need to do more than their competition to win which isn’t conducive to good mental health or can easily allow people to blame mental health issues for sympathy / excuses

But in Biles case she was apparently ***ually abused by her coach for an extended period of time which only came to light over last few years

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Softer approach - mental health!! Poor c unts!

Hard graft in a factory 10 hours a day to put food on the table can put more pressure on mental health! Frightened of bills landing on the doorstep can trigger mental health and not whether it’s steak or f uckin salmon for dinner!
    I dunno I’d go a bit wobbly if given salmon especially if the missus cooked it

Hope you’re keeping well Al

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    I dunno I’d go a bit wobbly if given salmon especially if the missus cooked it

Hope you’re keeping well Al

Cheers BS mate! Hope to have a beer with you soon at a forthcoming match! Might even come to the Luton match as it’s the day before my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    I do agree that athletes need to be pushed hard and need to do more than their competition to win which isn’t conducive to good mental health or can easily allow people to blame mental health issues for sympathy / excuses

But in Biles case she was apparently ***ually abused by her coach for an extended period of time which only came to light over last few years
    Ah baggiesingh, I hadn’t known that about her so that makes sense. I take back what I’ve said about her.

I agree with you Mick, it’s from a certain time.. perhaps it’s the so called millennials who have become so weak mentally. But at the same time the drug companies make a lot of money out of this, not sure if it can be attributed to that though. I think a lot has to do with how we are living, particularly in this age information and how we all need to be perceived as, especially on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    A lot of us have days when we feel really low.

Outside of this years health issues I’ve had another serious issue that’s been on my mind for almost 7 months now and still not resolved.

Some days I’ve felt utterly dismal but I just put my boots on and get on with work and life.

If you’re in your mid to late 50’s like a lot of us on here we were taught at school in the 60’s and 70’s by people who fought in WW2 and others who were children in that period.

Same when I stated work in 78, the lads who were the age I am now ( 59 ) were born around the end of WW1 and fought in WW2 and well into the 1980’s it was these people who were the gaffers at work.

It was f u c k I n g tough being handled by these people, they were as hard as nails physically and mentally but scrupulously fair I usually found and they taught great values and had huge backbone.

In realty a lot of our age group have been too easy on the kids we’ve brought into the world allied to the s h y t e spouted in the media over the last 25 years.

Anyone much below 50 years of age wouldn’t have a clue as to the way many of us were brought up and taught life skills by these giants born in the early part of the 20th century.

The “heroes” these days are that simpering, walking foetus Greta Thunberg and blokes with a beard and a f u c k I n g skirt who want a public toilet with no “gender bias” written on the door.

All this extended maternity leave for men was a sign of the way things were going to go, we’ve encouraged everyone to be too bloody soft.

It’s nauseating.
    There's a lot of truth in this Mick. I'm 61. A sixtees child. The tough plenty of backbone approach did a lot of good except for where kids needed the opposite. As you know I am suffering now due to a schizophrenic cruel mother and a dad who was told "Don't praise kids, it will go to their heads" How I needed some attention, love and praise but no nothing. Now I can't see love if it stares me in the face. I don't know how to smile, if I try it feels like the most false thing ever. I remember going to school and if a kid had cross eyes the parents did nothing, "She'll be alright" they would say. It was a case of shut up or put up. Interestingly I have been trying to access parental records to try and understand as much as I can and the guy from social services said that we have been inundated with people from my age group doing the same thing. Took him three months to come back to me with nothing as it happened. I agree with having strong standards but only if the kids can take it. Many with stable backgrounds can and it builds an inner steel, but those who are battered as an infant need the complete opposite. They need to know and feel that someone actually cares about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)