+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Guess Sidders' Avatar Thread

Aha... first thought was Malinois, but it's a Basenji isn't it. Is there a Congo connection, other than an oblique reference to Belgium?

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    Aha... first thought was Malinois, but it's a Basenji isn't it. Is there a Congo connection, other than an oblique reference to Belgium?
    I've been fortunate enough to have 3 Basenjis. They are brilliant pets and quite unique. They were originally bred by pygmies as hunting dogs in the Congo. They have no bark because their voice box is suppressed so they are ideal for flat living. Most Basenjis however do manage an occasional yodel!
    They are also fastidiously clean. Almost no doggy smell and ooze personality. Full of mischief and incredibly loyal. Get along great with cats.

I'd heard of Basenjis but don't recall ever having encountered one. I guess they're fairly rare in the UK, although you'd think the lack of a bark would make an already attractive dog even more attractive for a lot of people. We're on our second Smooth Collie, and with it being a vulnerable British breed (~50 pups per annum) hardly anyone guesses him right. People are reluctant to believe he's a Collie because most folk think only of Border Collies. There are a few unusual dogs round here (Stabyhoun, Pharaoh Hound, Vizla etc) that live in a rising tide of Cocker Poos. Thanks for the info on Basenjis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12