+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Cahill anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We bought Collins on a long term deal, I hope Thomas can break through too!

I back Vydra to score 15 goals in the EPL this season - no problem.
    I think he’ll do well to get that many BT with all the high ball we play into him, when I played if opposition had big centre backs and we were winning nothing we change tact and play channels more , not at Burnley though we keep on with the same ball if we’re winning it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We bought Collins on a long term deal, I hope Thomas can break through too!

I back Vydra to score 15 goals in the EPL this season - no problem.
    That’s if he gets starts. Even when he has played well for a couple of matches, he then gets dropped. A good run of games and you could be right BT

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I think he’ll do well to get that many BT with all the high ball we play into him, when I played if opposition had big centre backs and we were winning nothing we change tact and play channels more , not at Burnley though we keep on with the same ball if we’re winning it or not.
    I agree army.Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing, hoping that the outcome will be different. Vydra needs it to his feet or a ball to run on to. He is more of an Ings or Gray type of player, not a Woods or Barnes. Dwight M is being effective in midfield in preseason. Perhaps he will be able to play balls that suit Vydra.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Cahill was class when he was learning his trade with us, but watching him last season it looks like he's slowing down a bit these days so I'd be wary of signing him.
    He was only a t-eenager when he played on loan for us lusty, but his class shone through and it was clear he was going right to the top. I could never work out why Villa let him go to your lot for £5 million, a real bargain, honestly I'd have happily paid double that for him. How did you pull that one off, were Villa strapped for cash or what ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 02-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Cahill and Jones are both available on a free.

A manager with insight might make that work in a five man back five.

Fat Sam would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    He was only a t-eenager when he played on loan for us lusty, but his class shone through and it was clear he was going right to the top. I could never work out why Villa let him go to your lot for £5 million, a real bargain, honestly I'd have happily paid double that for him. How did you pull that one off, were Villa strapped for cash or what ?
    He was still rash and error prone when he arrived but after a year of partnering the experienced Sam Ricketts he calmed down and learnt his craft. £5 million seemed like a lot for him when he arrived but when he went to Chelsea for £7 million we felt robbed as it was obvious that he was going to be a full international.

He was still rash and error prone when he arrived but after a year of partnering the experienced Sam Ricketts he calmed down and learnt his craft. £5 million seemed like a lot for him when he arrived but when he went to Chelsea for £7 million we felt robbed as it was obvious that he was going to be a full international.
    He was percieved by most Burnley fans, on the msgboards anyway, to be a future England international if ever they saw one. I was surprised Villa let him go, I can remember talking to a Villa fan in France after his loan spell ended, and told him how we'd like to have him back again, his response was on the lines of you keep your fecking hands off him, but let him go they did.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    He was percieved by most Burnley fans, on the msgboards anyway, to be a future England international if ever they saw one. I was surprised Villa let him go, I can remember talking to a Villa fan in France after his loan spell ended, and told him how we'd like to have him back again, his response was on the lines of you keep your fecking hands off him, but let him go they did.
    Think he gave away 2 pens in his first few games so there were plenty of doubters but he came good for us. Not sure how we signed him - maybe Megson was offering him "extras"?
    Question is can he do a job for the Clarets now?

Think he gave away 2 pens in his first few games so there were plenty of doubters but he came good for us. Not sure how we signed him - maybe Megson was offering him "extras"?
    Question is can he do a job for the Clarets now?
    I'm sure he could lusty, playing in the middle of a Sean Dyche defence is one of the easier PL gigs, even Kevin Long can do it, and he's not fit to lace Cahill's boots, as Glenn Roeder might have said if he was still with us. But we don't need him, add in the fact that his wages will be more than we like to pay, and I'm sure the lad himself would prefer to stay down south, so it's a definite non-runner imo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)