+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A GREAT football club....

A GREAT football club....

... only loses the players it wants to lose and NEVER the ones it wants to keep.
    Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miller View Post
    ... only loses the players it wants to lose and NEVER the ones it wants to keep.
    Discuss.
    Doesn't exist.

I think autocorrect put great instead of wealthy.

Well of course a lot like Man City might spring to mind.. but of course they wouldn't pass the autocorrect test.
    What about the new Leeds then. Or Leicester? A few others like them? Bournemouth for many a year?
    One thing is certain ... It's never been Rotherham who for my 59 years watching them have ALWAYS been prepared to take a passing florin for anybody...

I think you have to factor in managers

Man Utd for example struggled after Ferguson, also Arsenal after Wenger.

The philosophy of the club may be the same regarding discarding players etc but a different manager can upset that goal.

Once a decline starts it can be hard to stop it.

Discuss.
    Substitute ” A Great” with “NO” and I would agree.

Even the wealthiest club cannot make a player stay. There are a whole host of reasons why.

Well of course a lot like Man City might spring to mind.. but of course they wouldn't pass the autocorrect test.
    What about the new Leeds then. Or Leicester? A few others like them? Bournemouth for many a year?
    One thing is certain ... It's never been Rotherham who for my 59 years watching them have ALWAYS been prepared to take a passing florin for anybody...
    Man City wanted to keep Sancho a couple of years ago but he forced his way out to B Dortmund. Kompany wanted to leave and did, club legend. They didn't want him to go. Eric Garcia, young CB went to Barca on a free this summer, wouldn't sign a new deal. Leroy Sane to Bayern, forced his way out after making it pretty clear he didn't want to stay.
    David Silva wanted to go back to Spain, hardly wanted rid of him.

Leicester. Chilwell to Chelsea last summer? Mahrez to Man City? Harry Maguire to Man Utd?

I can't be bothered going through the others.

Wealth, as mentioned, has, is and will always be the biggest factor on who people can keep and who they have to sell. Other reasons come into play also but to argue that a great club is only one who doesn't have to sell regularly is what I would expect from some Premier League plastic. I'm sure fans of most clubs think they are great, regardless of what they have in the bank. Wealth doesn't determine how great any club is. Just how much £££ they have.

Look at your argument with Leeds and Bournemouth, they didn't become great overnight by refusing to sell anyone. They reached the Premier League and that changes everything. They didn't have the same pressures because of our old friend, £££.