+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Significance of Benson

Significance of Benson

Why I believe Benson is a significant step forward.
    We have signed young players in the last couple of years that were quite expensive - but they come with the tag of ‘one for the future’.
    Young midfielders that need coaching and developing to bring them up to speed.

Barnsley supporters in recent history have been put through the mill of watching loan players come and go.
    Unfortunately the club at that time couldn’t afford them - even though the asking price was usually around the £1 million mark.

Players like Drinkwater and Pearson - who the supporters knew were already good enough to fit straight into the 1st team.
    It was heartbreaking to see these loan players leave knowing it wouldn’t have taken much to secure their signing.
    Benson is in that category - a quality young midfielder that can hit the ground running - but this time it’s not a loan signing - this time he’s ours.
    And there lies the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

Players like Drinkwater and Pearson - who the supporters knew were already good enough to fit straight into the 1st team.
    It was heartbreaking to see these loan players leave knowing it wouldn’t have taken much to secure their signing.
    Drinkwater signed for Leicester from parent club Man Utd
    Pearson went to established Championship club Preston from parent club Man Utd when we were still in Third Division

Not a hope of signing either

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Drinkwater signed for Leicester from parent club Man Utd
    Pearson went to established Championship club Preston from parent club Man Utd when we were still in Third Division

Not a hope of signing either
    At that time.
    Which is exactly my point.

Why I believe Benson is a significant step forward.
    We have signed young players in the last couple of years that were quite expensive - but they come with the tag of ‘one for the future’.
    Young midfielders that need coaching and developing to bring them up to speed.

Barnsley supporters in recent history have been put through the mill of watching loan players come and go.
    Unfortunately the club at that time couldn’t afford them - even though the asking price was usually around the £1 million mark.

Benson is in that category - a quality young midfielder that can hit the ground running - but this time it’s not a loan signing - this time he’s ours.
    And there lies the change.
    A see weer tha coming frum Nudger and I agree that it's better to sign permenant rather than draught in on loan.

A think wi drinkwater it was wages. Leicester offered him a contract that we simply couldn't afford to offer him at the time and probably still can't afford 10 years later in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    A see weer tha coming frum Nudger and I agree that it's better to sign permenant rather than draught in on loan.

A think wi drinkwater it was wages. Leicester offered him a contract that we simply couldn't afford to offer him at the time and probably still can't afford 10 years later in all honesty.
    We couldn’t afford him now as he’s been around the block and built up his wage demands - but we could have had him back then.
    I’ve mentioned just 2 - but there were others that came through the revolving door at that time.
    More or less a new team had to be built at the start of each season.

At that time.
    Which is exactly my point.
    We are operating within a limited number of fees under £1 million and one of the lowest wages in the Championship. Only players who don't see a future at their present Premiership or European clubs would consider coming to Barnsley as a permanent signing. A last chance saloon.

Do you really think it was a long burning ambition of Oulare, Iseka, Benson etc to come to Barnsley ?
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-08-2021 at 04:55 PM.

But we've got love × love just gimme the night ( matches ) !!

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    We are operating within a limited number of fees under £1 million and one of the lowest wages in the Championship. Only players who don't see a future at their present Premiership or European clubs would consider coming to Barnsley as a permanent signing. A last chance saloon.

Do you really think it was a long burning ambition of Oulare, Iseka, Benson etc to come to Barnsley ?
    It’s no players burning ambition to come to Barnsley - unless of course they are a Barnsley fan.
    And this applies to nearly every other club in the football league.
    But what Barnsley has - which many other clubs don’t have - is a route through the club to another club that will pay bigger wages.
    A shop that’s prepared to put you in the shop window.
    If I was stuck in the under 23s of a Premier club I’d consider Barnsley as a top move.

The loan market does sometimes work Nudger, but I know its so annoying isn't it when the loan ends.
    We want to sign the player, and his club will never play him in their first team etc, but we can't agree terms for whatever reason.

Matty James is a big example here, will he ever play in Leicester's first team ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    The loan market does sometimes work Nudger, but I know its so annoying isn't it when the loan ends.
    We want to sign the player, and his club will never play him in their first team etc, but we can't agree terms for whatever reason.

Matty James is a big example here, will he ever play in Leicester's first team ?.
    he's signed for Brizzle, Harvey Barnes did well here , Lesta took him back halfway thru loan ? Then didn't play him much only occasional cup tie,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast