+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cultural references

Cultural references

Sat here, whiling away the time waiting (and waiting…..and waiting) for a transfer to be confirmed I started pondering on cultural references to my beloved Millers and come up with a handful. Do you remember these or any I’ve missed?

MINDER - Arthur Daly’s old army mate needs to be picked up from Rotherham, featuring Brian Glover and a cab office decked out in millers scarf and team photo. Terry McCann moaning “why would I want to go to bleedin Rovram!”

PORRIDGE - Lenny Godber sat reminiscing with Fletcher, talks about an FA Cup tie in 1968 where his beloved Villa lost 1-0 to Rotherham (a genuine result)

THE BILL - Very tenuous this one, but my ears twitched at DCI Meadows briefing CID about Moore and Towner, who had turned up on sun hills patch from up north (writers joke? Surely not a pure coincidence)

Any more?

I sure it was Jasper carrots tv show though might be wrong but I am sure it was…did a spoof Grand Prix which was called and announced by a Murray Walker impressionist as the “rotherham Grand Prix”..complete p1ss take…

Ah yes, how could I forget that one. Cheeky sod lol.

Clarkson had another of his regular digs at Rotherham in his Amazon farming show when a ram kicked one of the ewes he said "he must be from Rotherham".

Fake Tales Of San Fransico

Has anyone seen a film called Five Pillars about an ex Soldier who returns home to Rotherham and struggles to fit back into society? Some of his mates have joined far right groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Fake Tales Of San Fransico
    What’s that?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Clarkson had another of his regular digs at Rotherham in his Amazon farming show when a ram kicked one of the ewes he said "he must be from Rotherham".
    This is the one that came to my mind but I couldn't remember what he said "must be from Rotherham" over. Glad you have a better memory, I weren't watching it back to find out!

As we’ve now expanded it to the town, rather than just RUFC, a mention also for Tread Softly Stranger. A black and white pot boiler featuring George Baker and Diana Dors about a payroll robbery at Rawborough Steelworks (amalgam of Rawmarsh and Masborough) filmed at Parkgate with very recognisable local scenes at the Station Inn and the now demolished iron bridge amongst others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast