+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cultural references

The Beiderbecke Affair (or one of its sequels) with James Bolam.

They met a grumpy musician on a cross-channel ferry. He was in a bad mood because he'd travelled over to The Netherlands for a gig only for his agent to tell him he should have been in Rotherham not Rotterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    This is the one that came to my mind but I couldn't remember what he said "must be from Rotherham" over. Glad you have a better memory, I weren't watching it back to find out!
    Yes he kicked it or butted it.

Clarkson worked for the Rotherham Advertiser in the 70s so I guess he must have covered a fair number of domestic abuse cases and it's left him with prejudicial views.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    What’s that?
    It is an Arctic Monkey's song about Rock Stars changing their identities and accents to looks cool.

"And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
    You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
    So get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"

There's an episode of Bullseye where the landlord of (I think) The Station Hotel in Rawmarsh is on and Jim Bowen says "That's a really nice area that, Rawmarsh" (or Parkgate) and the audience laughs.

He got knocked out in the first round too.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    There's an episode of Bullseye where the landlord of (I think) The Station Hotel in Rawmarsh is on and Jim Bowen says "That's a really nice area that, Rawmarsh" (or Parkgate) and the audience laughs.

He got knocked out in the first round too.
    It probably was in Victorian times, workers at Parkgate, upper management at Rawmarsh, nice new park etc

This is a pic from an episode of TV show Glee.

Name:  EEDRLTLXoAEnrxy.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  86.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    This is a pic from an episode of TV show Glee.

Name:  EEDRLTLXoAEnrxy.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  86.2 KB

I just see legs ....

.... (I know I'm meant to see the sign)

I think Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse, might have had a bit of an issue with Rotherham.
    I remember one of his characters in one of the Morse novels making quite a disparaging remark to his wife, I can't remember which book or the exact comment, but along the lines of '' Where do you think I'm from, Rotherham?''
    Although the wife did dispute the comment.

I've been trying to find the reference and book without success, and in doing so found a throwaway quote in one of Dexter's obituaries that said Dexter reckoned that he would never have become a writer had he moved to Rotherham, but I couldn't find the source article to see what context he said it.
    There was also a quoted letter from somebody saying it was ''If he'd married a woman from Rotherham, he'd never have become a writer''
    but they also countered, that the Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope, did in fact marry a woman from Rotherham and it didn't do his writing any harm.

Noel Gallagher makes disparaging remarks about us regularly.
    If he wants to mention a really poor English team then he mentions us.
    No such thing as bad publicity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12