+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is a brilliant response.

This is a brilliant response.

So good to see that the idiots are outnumbered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58138453

Excellent response from the Spurs fans, and to do it against your biggest rivals makes it even better. Racism will be defeated one day, just a shame it's taking so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Excellent response from the Spurs fans, and to do it against your biggest rivals makes it even better. Racism will be defeated one day, just a shame it's taking so long.
    The "Kick it out" campaign didn't seem to work.

This is not meant to be provocative in any way, (and I will not bite if anyone accuses me of stirring trouble), just a genuine question. Does anyone know if the players took the knee before the game.
    This gesture by the Spurs fans is indeed heart warming, and as EP says, to do it in a match against your local rivals makes it even better. Lets hope it is spread across all media outlets, as we know they tend to thrive on bad news, given half a chance.
    I genuinely feel this show of support for Saka, given the publicity it deserves, could do more to stamp out racism, than 10 seasons of taking the knee.
    There is hooe after all 😎

Well after trawling through the papers online today, much as I suspected, and to my dismay there was not a mention that I could see about the Spurs fans' fantastic response to Bukayo Saka coming on as sub yesterday. It doesn't fit their narrative about racism in football. This should have been headline news, never mind just the sporting back pages. Maybe there is no hope after all. Oh well back to the useless virtue signalling that is 'taking the knee'. That suits the media's devisive agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Well after trawling through the papers online today, much as I suspected, and to my dismay there was not a mention that I could see about the Spurs fans' fantastic response to Bukayo Saka coming on as sub yesterday. It doesn't fit their narrative about racism in football. This should have been headline news, never mind just the sporting back pages. Maybe there is no hope after all. Oh well back to the useless virtue signalling that is 'taking the knee'. That suits the media's devisive agenda.
    Who cares about mainstream media outlets? Only old people read newspapers or the BBC. The power of social media has meant that more people got to hear about what happened. Social media is vilified when some people post something ridiculous, but on this occasion those who despise it keep quiet.

Notts78, it was not on my twitter feed, which is awash with all negative racist media, and are you are seriously telling me that it wouldn't have been better to have it headlining the TV news channels. The fact it wasn't, is a disgrace.

I sometimes wonder why those people who claim the BBC doesn't cover stuff don't just check on the BBC to see whether that's actually true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58138453

It was actually on BBC TV news too as I watched it.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 09-08-2021 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Who cares about mainstream media outlets? Only old people read newspapers or the BBC. The power of social media has meant that more people got to hear about what happened. Social media is vilified when some people post something ridiculous, but on this occasion those who despise it keep quiet.
    Some of us "old people" stay well away from social media!

Negative press usually gets far more interaction ( and therefore is worth far more from am advertising prespective) than positive press.

The balance required here is would that situation have got the same amount of press if the spurs fans had shouted racist abuse instead of doing what they did. Of course the answer to that is a resounding no there would have been a massive outcry. There is no doubt that this tremendous gesture was reported but I still see little acknowledgement in the British media that the vast majority of racist abuse these England players received was deliberately targeted at the time it came from troll social media accounts. There were notable exceptions to that rule and a number of those idiots were caught and dealt with. Stamping out racism still has some way to go but it has come a long way from the day I used to stand on the County Road with dad while someone shouting monkey noises at Richard Young and most just looked on with many sniggering. Reporting these more positive incidents in the same light as negative ones will go a long way. It has come a long way in my life time. yes it still has a way to go but lets celebrate the progress just as much as we deride the lack of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast