+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Var has now been 'tweaked' for season 2021/22.

So Var has now been 'tweaked' for season 2021/22.

New interpretation of contact.

So if you’ve got clear contact that has a consequence then that’s what you have got to penalise - easy enough or is it ?
    While the change of emphasis should mean that attackers who initiate or exaggerate contact will not be rewarded, referees will be on the lookout to award penalties where there is clear & meaningful contact but players stay on their feet.

The on field officials and VARs will be told to establish 'clear' contact & whether it has a 'consequence' and whether an attacking player has tried to use that contact to win a penalty.

Well - good luck on that but in honesty it really is turning into a non-contact scenario in the box.As my younger goalkeeping brother said to me 'it'll just add another keeping dimension to his game to work on' and will leave keepers more exposed with the lack of defensive tackling/blocking.

Thoughts anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    New interpretation of contact.

So if you’ve got clear contact that has a consequence then that’s what you have got to penalise - easy enough or is it ?
    While the change of emphasis should mean that attackers who initiate or exaggerate contact will not be rewarded, referees will be on the lookout to award penalties where there is clear & meaningful contact but players stay on their feet.

The on field officials and VARs will be told to establish 'clear' contact & whether it has a 'consequence' and whether an attacking player has tried to use that contact to win a penalty.

Well - good luck on that but in honesty it really is turning into a non-contact scenario in the box.As my younger goalkeeping brother said to me 'it'll just add another keeping dimension to his game to work on' and will leave keepers more exposed with the lack of defensive tackling/blocking.

Thoughts anyone.
    Football is supposed to be a fast paced game - VAR should only be used if the ref isn’t sure - run of the green always was a part of sport and I think should remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Football is supposed to be a fast paced game - VAR should only be used if the ref isn’t sure - run of the green always was a part of sport and I think should remain so.
    Would be happier if officials concentrated more on the ridiculous shirt pulling that goes on! Start giving penalties and they might start taking notice. Amounts to cheating in my books. 😕

Two things I want to see-

1- Soft signals from referee, if the ref thinks its a penalty, red, goal etc or a linesman thinks its onside/offside they indicate this to VAR then unless there is OBVIOUS evidence to change that decision that can be spotted within 30 seconds it is not overturned.

2- Straight reds for blatant/repeat cheating to stop these diving pricks

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Two things I want to see-

1- Soft signals from referee, if the ref thinks its a penalty, red, goal etc or a linesman thinks its onside/offside they indicate this to VAR then unless there is OBVIOUS evidence to change that decision that can be spotted within 30 seconds it is not overturned.

2- Straight reds for blatant/repeat cheating to stop these diving pricks
    Would be very happy for cheating to be stamped down on and for the pundits who praise professional fouls to be called out for endorsing cheating. Lee Dixon seems to love a professional foul.

I also don’t like the constant appealing which is now starting to become endemic in rugby too.

Sadly that would require clarity of purpose from the governing bodies …….

Can someone send a copy of this to Grealish, he needs to absorb and have time to adjust his techniques

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Would be very happy for cheating to be stamped down on and for the pundits who praise professional fouls to be called out for endorsing cheating. Lee Dixon seems to love a professional foul.

I also don’t like the constant appealing which is now starting to become endemic in rugby too.

Sadly that would require clarity of purpose from the governing bodies …….
    Intentional fouls should be a red. Goalscoring opportunity or not.

Like that one on Raphinha where he got injured because some buffoon cleared him out to stop him breaking away.

The tweaked rules now also include:

1.In the case of handball:

What is the hand or arm position in relation to body movement?

Is the body being made unnaturally bigger?

2.For accidental handball:

It is an offence if an attacker scores directly or immediately after the ball touches a hand or arm.So the penalty Leeds conceded at Liverpool in September 2020 would now NOT be given as Mo Salah flicked the ball off Robin Koch's knee and his arm !

3. Offsides:
    Benefit of doubt for attacking sides now restored.
    The toenails and noses that might have been offside last year won't be next season !

Its the people who operate it that need tweaked.

Sad for the game.

Might as well go full bore and just get rid of the ref and linesman entirely. If you have technology to drive a car or fly a plane you can develop an overall officiating system using AI. the only tricky part would be to build in the "fudge factor" of how much you allow before a foul is triggered.

Of course, the system would have to build in extra time for scumchester and eliminate diving for Chelski and Grealish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)