+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football betting

Football betting

I am a regular but small bet player on horse racing and golf. Just for fun and further interest. Keep records to make sure not losing much and money comes out of joint account so ‘she who must be obeyed’ is the auditor! Small profit of £112 over the last 5 years but more about fun and interest and in fact quite often now go a couple of weeks at least without having a bet.

Haven’t got into football betting but I know from industry reports and hearsay that this has become a huge part of betting. Wondered if anyone has got into this at all and has any best bets. I sometimes have the odd cash fiver when I am at any of our games, usually on first goal scorer but never particularly focussed as my other bets are, and usually because others, who don’t bet on anything else now see it as part of the match day experience.

I have been looking at bets to see if I can see any value and a couple have interested me.

Bet365 have made up Regional leagues and we are 13/8 favourites to win that league which is just us, Stoke, Coventry, Blues, Forest and Derby. That looks a great price to me, surely we should win that league?

We are around 5/1 to win the league and 11/4 to be promoted.

Anyone laid any bets on us this year?

Not me Yarm but I suspect a lot of the football players family place a few bets!! You get my drift?

I managed to get 8's on us a few weeks ago. I also do a patent each year on Championship, Div1 & 2. I have included Ioswich and Salford with us in this ew patent. Have a small bet most Saturdays on the Both Teams to Score coupon. Probably ended last season slightly ahead.

I usually bet on both teams to score. Have won a few times but invariably just one team lets me down. I never bet on the Albion!

I don’t bet but I often think that a bet against the Albion is a good idea.

If we win you’re happy anyway and if we lose at least you have the solace of a financial gain.

One of our former posters on here is one of my best mates, BrockmoorBaggie, he makes his living from placing bets and from his own betting service called TipsterStreet.

Neil is incredibly successful and the best “gambler” I’ve ever met personally, he can suss out real value and has a wonderful knack of making money at it.

He’s done this for about 20 years now.

If any f you are interested just message him through his website and tell him you’re off the old West Brom FootyMad Forum and that MickyD has recommended him and I’m sure you’ll get a discounted service.

Like I say, I don’t bet but I do know that people that use his service do get a positive annual result, the guy is a genius at spotting value in various markets, he’s like Einstein at non league football 😏

If I have a firm view on a match I will normally do some correct scores and quite often cash out early.

I have a couple of quid via Sky bet (min £2 stake) Normally just the division that we’re in. Sometimes a selection including doubles and trebles.
    Over the years I suspect I am down, albeit I have had successful seasons.

Mugs game.
    When I was at work we used to have our breakfast from Gregg's in the Avion centre. Every morning a bloke with a stick would go in the bookies and place a bet. It was just simulated racing that was on and he would bet on that.
    He would come out and say that jockey didn't ride very well.
    My mate would say, " It's not real you daft b astard."

Unless you're extremely successful in life, everything is probably a mugs game. I worked for over 50 years and spent my hard earned wages on what I wanted to. I dismissed the idea of smoking and drinking as mugs games. I love having a bet and enjoy it, win or lose. Even going to football games and spending money on watching your team could be considered a mugs game by some, especially if your team is not successful. I never decry anyone who spends money on doing what they enjoy whether successful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Unless you're extremely successful in life, everything is probably a mugs game. I worked for over 50 years and spent my hard earned wages on what I wanted to. I dismissed the idea of smoking and drinking as mugs games. I love having a bet and enjoy it, win or lose. Even going to football games and spending money on watching your team could be considered a mugs game by some, especially if your team is not successful. I never decry anyone who spends money on doing what they enjoy whether successful or not.
    Quite similar to me. I have never smoked, hardly ever have a drink, was last drunk in April 1973 when I then declared drinking a mugs game. I don’t spend on lavish clothes and have budgeted for losses of no more than £200 on my betting in any one year, which I have never yet reached.

People say it is a mugs game, and yes for some it is. However, as Tips says those who throw that accusation often are mugs themselves when it comes to how they spend their money.

For me everyone can spend what they have how they want to, as long as they don’t overspend beyond their means and they don’t get addicted so that it impacts on others in a negative way, and yes that includes spending too much on following sport as much as betting on it.

Enjoy what you like and thank goodness we are all different. Better go and have something that I am addicted to, which is another cup of tea and a piece of cake to go with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)