Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
Thanks for the info, always interesting to see how others do things. For a minute I assumed that they didn't even have anyone checking people look for work as they don't have Job Centres. $400 a week, not to be sniffed at.

So when these adverts say you can get $100 a month, back on your social security to use on things like dental treatment or pharmacy costs, why would people get this on top? The old phone up to see if you're eligible blah blah.
CTMilller may be able to better answer it as he's already living it but I think it's related to Medicaid (the medical piece of social security) where some 'sales people' are saying if you opt out of it and go with them instead then the government will give you more social security as you won't be using the government piece. I did look into it after seeing one of those ads on TV but it was far too complicated for my brain to comprehend so I assumed it had some element of scam about it, a bit like the way people in the UK were enticed to opt out of SERPS and put the money in private pensions.