+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Galatasaray vs. St Johnstone

Galatasaray vs. St Johnstone

Watching this game on BBC Scotland. Not so long ago those four St Johnstone players were at Palmerston. Clark, Kane, Kerr and Rooney...

I thought they played very well last night, - and over the piece 2-3 would have been about right.

Kane showed electric pace and the yellow card should have been a red as he was straight through on goal.

Should the subs have been considered before the 2nd Galatasaray goal?..........................probably, as they would have changed the momentum of the game..........................but Kane had had such a stormer until that point.

Overall, an impressive performance for a wee team, - not that far removed from QOS.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I thought they played very well last night, - and over the piece 2-3 would have been about right.

Kane showed electric pace and the yellow card should have been a red as he was straight through on goal.

Should the subs have been considered before the 2nd Galatasaray goal?..........................probably, as they would have changed the momentum of the game..........................but Kane had had such a stormer until that point.

Overall, an impressive performance for a wee team, - not that far removed from QOS.
    Yes Jardi the Perth Saints played really well but the one thing far removed from Queens was the fantastic
    crowd of over 9,000 while we are currently struggling along on 700 - odd home fans. Hopefully with
    Covid rules relaxing a bit we can get back to 1000 plus sooner than later.

No more staggered entry times , no more track and trace & emailed tickets , no more social distancing and face masks are no longer mandatory.

They played well but were always second best to the crisp sharp passing of Galatasaray and to see a capacity crowd was great. They benefited greatly when the farmer gave them the land to build the all seater stadium meaning that they could host their home European game unlike Queens who were forced to play their tie at Airdrie.. Substitution timing is always very subjective but an injection of fresh players should be made before it's too late to make a difference.

Got to disagree Jardi. St Johnstone are miles in front of qos. They are now an established SPL side that compete regularly with Celtic and rangers giving both a run for there money. Won 3 major domestic trophies in the past 5 odd years and are playing in Europe for the ump****th time and playing in a stadium that is described as a mini ibrox. We still celebrate getting to a final 13 years ago, played in Europe once, and play in a stadium that is seagulls toilet on a plastic pitch. The only comparison is we got 3 of there players on loan when they were learning there trade and they got Rooney from Inverness because the manager at that time didn’t fancy him and gave him limited game time. They are so far in front of us that they are out of sight at this time.

Fatfan, - I entirely agree with everything you say, - the essential point I was trying to make is that QOS and St. Johnstone come from similar sized towns, yet one is punching way above their head in Europe, and in Scotland too.

Last year's achievements were nothing less than astonishing for St. J, and will probably never be repeated again.

If St Johnstone, Hamilton and Motherwell can all regularly compete in the top league in Scotland, along with Ross County a team from a town not much bigger than Dalbeattie, - then it is not out-with the bounds of possibility that Queens could aim to be there too. However, there must be a sea change in the way the public perceives their top senior team for that to happen.

Fatfan, - I entirely agree with everything you say, - the essential point I was trying to make is that QOS and St. Johnstone come from similar sized towns, yet one is punching way above their head in Europe, and in Scotland too.

Last year's achievements were nothing less than astonishing for St. J, and will probably never be repeated again.

If St Johnstone, Hamilton and Motherwell can all regularly compete in the top league in Scotland, along with Ross County a team from a town not much bigger than Dalbeattie, - then it is not out-with the bounds of possibility that Queens could aim to be there too. However, there must be a sea change in the way the public perceives their top senior team for that to happen.
    Totally agree. But every team you mention have had a fair amount of investment and are supported by there community. We have very limited investment compared to the teams you mention and we are still seen as a bit of a joke by a large number of the public in Dumfries and still suffering from the harkness era where if it could be done on the cheap then it would be. I appreciate we have had investment under certain chairmen and we have been so close in joining saints etc but we have came full circle and are back to the harkness era.
    We have almost scrapped a promising youth policy and if rumours are to be believed the club get money for purchasing tracksuits etc for youths from the sfa yet parents are having to stump up a load of cash each season for kit. So where does that cash go? The rent paid from businesses in the arena are allegedly paid to a local building company, there was the rumours of the land sale. Wages being given to young players that can only be described as child labour
    Yes we have hopefully turned a corner with the contract lengths being given to promising players, but I suspect there could be so much more investment could be done.
    Maybe when the public see the club being ran in a professional manner and the club being more transparent then maybe they will receive a far better support from the community because that is the way the majority of the local public see the club.
    No doubt this will cause a bit of an uproar however can anyone say that is not the image of the club within dumfries

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Totally agree. But every team you mention have had a fair amount of investment and are supported by there community. We have very limited investment compared to the teams you mention and we are still seen as a bit of a joke by a large number of the public in Dumfries and still suffering from the harkness era where if it could be done on the cheap then it would be. I appreciate we have had investment under certain chairmen and we have been so close in joining saints etc but we have came full circle and are back to the harkness era.
    We have almost scrapped a promising youth policy and if rumours are to be believed the club get money for purchasing tracksuits etc for youths from the sfa yet parents are having to stump up a load of cash each season for kit. So where does that cash go? The rent paid from businesses in the arena are allegedly paid to a local building company, there was the rumours of the land sale. Wages being given to young players that can only be described as child labour
    Yes we have hopefully turned a corner with the contract lengths being given to promising players, but I suspect there could be so much more investment could be done.
    Maybe when the public see the club being ran in a professional manner and the club being more transparent then maybe they will receive a far better support from the community because that is the way the majority of the local public see the club.
    No doubt this will cause a bit of an uproar however can anyone say that is not the image of the club within dumfries

nail on the head with that fatfan ,and for the size of town we have we do have a big support when times are good ,and the potential support beyond that is there also ,we see the evidence of our big support fleetingly over the last couple of decades ,seeing huge away supports turn up randomly on some occasions ,you know as well as me fatfan whats needed to keep these fans come more consistently ,however i canny see it happen for a long time yet as we have too many diehards who only care about turning up no matter the dross on the park ,hewitson and co see this and are under zero pressure running this club so as i say our only hope is a fresh chairman at somepoint down the line with a fire in his or her bellies .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)