+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Peterborough v Derby

I have, forest lost after saying Derby are the gift that just keeps giving well they aren't doing any better infact minding the gap currently

I get we have a thread bare squad but.............. the tactics were cr**
    One point = what was going on with our Goal kicks ffs pass it two yards to Roos, and he kicks it under pressure , why the f*** can't the defenders push up and Roos kick it in the first place
    I just didn't get the logic

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    I get we have a thread bare squad but.............. the tactics were cr**
    One point = what was going on with our Goal kicks ffs pass it two yards to Roos, and he kicks it under pressure , why the f*** can't the defenders push up and Roos kick it in the first place
    I just didn't get the logic
    Agreed. Who’s idea was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    My two penn'orth

1, Lets hope CKR isn't as injured as he looked
    2, First half completely dire, so many different personnel have adopted the 'play pointlessly across the back' it must be a management instruction, and who of those who watched that today would want to pay to see more?
    3, What's with this 'pass goal kicks to Roos in the six yard box' thing? Bonkers
    4, Notwithstanding 3, Roos distribution is somewhere between poor and alarming
    5, Esebole disappointing, may we all got a bit carried away with tuesday's efforts
    6, Jozwiak a liability and with respect to other opinions I'm not interested in him missing his mate, played better for Poland, needs to settle - we need him to perform to at least a basic level NOW
    7, Lawrence not much better

I don't have any positives
    Bet you would have had after ninety minutes...but I can’t argue with much of that.

Roos nearly caught in possession twice, once his own fault, once from a hospital pass. Kept well. Caught a few and punched when he had to. Distribution wasn't good.
    Byrne. At fault for both goals. Rather have Festy there.
    Stearman. Steady. Not a player you'd want in the pass it about and invite the oppo onto us yet that's what happened.
    Davies. Steady. Same as Stearman,
    Fozzy. Adequate. No more than that.
    Bird. had a good un.
    Shinnie. How many times was he caught in possession? Passing below standard as well.
    Festy. Not the standard he set midweek. Might be better off playing RB with Sibs ahead of him?
    Lawro. Spent more time at DM than our 2 DM's.
    Ravel. Same as Lawro. Assist for the goal
    Kazim. Huffed and puffed as he should but failed to blow any houses down. Hope his injury isn't as bad as it looked.

Strets. Good performance, cracking goal. If Kaz is out a while I'm happy enough with his stand in
    Sibs. Did what Sibs does including the obligatory yellow card which I'll address in a minute. Good shift.
    Joz. Came on on 84 mins. Started well enough. Taking the ball off Posh players beating them and passing. To no avail unfortunately. Wrong side of his man for their equaliser but the free kick that led to it should have been ours not theirs. Kept having a go. It didn't work.

Ref.
    Their equaliser. Our free kick not theirs so Sibs shouldn't have been booked and they wouldn't have got that equaliser. That put the wind in their sales and deflated us... and it shouldn't have done. Give the FK our way, they don't equalise, don't get the huge encouragement it gave and we may have won it. Ref let a lot go but didn't seem biased, just intent on letting the game flow.

Overall, we were a yard slow getting to the ball, held on too long when we had it which led to rushed passes or interceptions or simply getting caught on the ball and losing it. Too slow traverisng the thirds of the field which gave them time to get back in numbers. Getting forward quickly is impossible when 2 of your 4 forward players are constantly between the 2DMs and the defence. We have the right round pegs to make midtable security. They seem to be deciding to put themselves into the square pegs... that or Rooney's tactics suck. We need a little more balance. Maybe 1 or 2 more young uns in who aren't stifled. Play Ravel in the 2 maybe and Watson left of the 3 with Lawro central. Festy and Sibs at RB and the right of the 3. Plyaers who think of winning rather than not losing and constantly search forward options and DARE to pass forwards.

I noticed again today an old failing with the full backs and Shinnie. A huge reticence to use their "wrong" foot. Especially close to the side line with their back to it. It's always the pass back to the CD. Do they have no confidence in that foot. It must be that because all 3 have shown the CAN use it but, backs to the line with good attacking short range attacking passes on, they bottle it and DaviesStearman gets the ball again. Both good solid defensive centre halves but neither is a footballing CH in the mould of a Stimac/Mac/Wright and others we've had. Play to player's strengths and if they don't have confidence in the wrong foot have them practise with it every day after lunch until they DO have confidence...... and then practise some more with it.

Oh well looks like we are in for a long season.

If we had a seasoned manager who knew how to get the best from a an average bunch of players then I'd have some hope. But no we ahve a manager with no experience, not even got the coaching badges and whatever his strengths as a footballer has never come across as a deep thinker.

Oh Mel what ahve you done to Derby? You came in with your big plans, your financial chicanery and now left us with a crap team, a crap manager and financially ****ed! You should have stuck to video games!

The worry with Rooney is that he doesn't know that he doesn't know what he's doing!

Agree about the free kick, MA...but I fear that mac’s succinct appraisal may be spot on.

For me, in Stearman and Curtis Davies we have two very decent old school central defenders, but they aren’t great ball players. Coupled with Forsyth’s and an out of form Byrne’s similar limitations I don’t understand why Rooney insists on trying to repeatedly play it out from the back because he’s seen much better players than ours use such a tactic.
    It isn’t compulsory, and coupled with Roos’ poor decision making and distribution yesterday we repeatedly just looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Having said that, I thought we were unfortunate yesterday and there were, as highlighted elsewhere, some brave performances. Some senior and experienced players though are letting us down. Prior to his unfortunate injury CKR, a player I very much admire, had offered nothing and may as well not have been on the pitch. That though is untypical.

More typical were the displays from Lawrence, Byrne and, albeit in a very abbreviated form, Jozwiak. They are, allegedly, our three most saleable players. If that’s the case...fine.
    We need new blood and we’ve identified three potential signings so let them go. No harsh words, no recriminations but, in the case of Lawrence and Jozwiak, it just hasn’t worked out and in the case of Byrne we already have better options.

So, let’s get that business done and hope that Rooney has the sense to abandon current ‘fashion’ for simply identifying and playing to our strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    hope that Rooney has the sense to abandon current ‘fashion’ for simply identifying and playing to our strengths.
    My guess is that he, and his coaching team, won't, and there's a simple reason IMO for that. He/they are ambitious to manage a 'better' team, and that better team WILL, with more adept personnel, already be in the 'pass it around' mentality (from which they would generate a chance, not give the bugger away like we do), and he will be able to either a) apply what he's learned at Derby to that new environment or, more likely, b)hang on to the shirt tails of an existing ethos at his new club til he's up to speed

And its not just in our own half. There was an occasion yesterday (not sure whether it was a corner or a free kick in the last third) where the obvious thing was to pump it in the box, yet six passes later we'd contrived to be under pressure in our own half

The more I think about it, with the players we have, 2 DMs, 3 AMs and a single striker are the wrong tactics.

We got away with it, once we started to play, against Salford because the front 6 plus the 2 full backs were all attack minded. The 1st XI is starting with 7 defensively minded player plus we then see 2 of our 3 AMs spending half the game deeper than the DMs..... The collective mindset seems safety first and that merely serves to beg the oppo on to close us down and force errors. It works.

What should we do?

Starting up top, I still firmly believe that strikers hunt in pairs. Look what happened when Rooney burst into the England team at 17 and partnered Lineker up top. They scared defenders to death. Now we have had half a dozen seasons where we've had Martin or Vydra or Kazim on their own and it hasn't given us success although we did get close a couple of times. Let's give Kazim (Strets in the next few game I think) a partner to work with. Go 1-4-1-3-2 with Festy and Buchanan at full back, Watson and Sibs as the 2 wide players in the 3. Kaz and Strets up top. Middle of the 3? Lawro and Ravel woud have a fight on their hands to keep the other one out I'd hope. Bird and Shinnie fighting for the DM spot..... and we have Bielik to return......

1-3-5-2 might suit us better than the current system.

I agree we have to change tack on tactics too. Nothing wrong in playing out from the back WHEN YOU HAVE FOOTBALLING CENTRE HALVES. If we had modern day Roy Macs or Stimacs or Wrights at CH we could do it. We haven't so we shouldn't. We started to faff about at the back, Posh put us under pressure and we made mistakes. It was that simple. Too often players dribbled slowly upfield and seemed shocked that an oppo ran in robbed us of the ball. All too slow and ponderous. It has to change. Davies to Roos at a goal kick? Asking for trouble. We got away with it against Posh. There are many sides where we wouldn't. Drop that routine.

We all have our own ideas. Some will have different ones to mine. Be nice to see them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)