+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We will attack the Premier League"

"We will attack the Premier League"

No not Bruce's words......Thomas Frank of the mighty Brentford:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58179956

I'm looking forward to seeing them play actually as they played some good football in the Championship.

Can see them finishing above us....

Eh?? Did he not sigh and roll his eyes and say we can't compete with the big boys or talk about how expectations are high up here but people need to realise where we are?

No talk of 'it's all about the accumulation of points then we'll see where we are'?

Sheesh...this lad has NOT read the script. This optimism lark will never catch on.

Pragmatism, damping down the fires of hope and crushing dreams, that's where it's at.

Isn't it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    No not Bruce's words......Thomas Frank of the mighty Brentford:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58179956

I'm looking forward to seeing them play actually as they played some good football in the Championship.

Can see them finishing above us....
    I used to watch them in the old 3rd div. when I first moved south in 1967. Griffin Park was very primitive then with long wooden benches instead of individual seats.

They always played attractive attacking football in those days too.

The ground was unique too being the only ground in the country with a pub on each corner.

It is so depressing reading that and then taking into account our gob****e **** of a head coach.

I think we’ll have a very good season. Just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by BenArfa10 View Post
    Where on earth do you get that feeling from? Our central midfield cannot put together a forward pass, except for Shelvey who cannot perform adequately in more than 1 per 8 games.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Where on earth do you get that feeling from? Our central midfield cannot put together a forward pass, except for Shelvey who cannot perform adequately in more than 1 per 8 games.
    Just feeling. I fancy a Top 8 finish. Based on zero data. Just a feeling in gut.

I thought it was Bruce saying it sarcasticaly.

Quote Originally Posted by BenArfa10 View Post
    I wish i shared your optimism but i think a serious injury to Wilson and we're down. We just don't have the strength in depth up front

You and I seem to have been contemporaries in the area Ex-Pat.
    I lived in Ealing from 1966 to 1973.
    Saturday afternoons were spent at Old Deer Park watching the London Welsh rugby team with my Welsh flatmates.
    On the way back we would get off the bus at Griffinb Park and get in free to watch the second half of the match.

I may have mentioned here before, but I have two sentimental attachments to Brentford.

When I was a student, the Bees always provided one of their players as a coach to the university football team.
    One year we had an inter-faculty cup competition and were short of a set of shirts, so Brentford kindly stepped in with a full set of shirts and shorts. You can imagine my reaction when that kit was allocated to my team. The horror of playing for a team wearing the hated red and white stripes of the Mackems.

I moaned like hell in the dressing room pre-match, even though I was the goalkeeper, so didn't actually have to wear the strip.
    Anyway, the match was 1-1 heading into the last minute, a cross came in, I dropped it and the opposition scored.
    Not one of my team mates would believe I didn't do it on purpose!
    Never lived it down.

Scroll on a couple of years. My then-girlfriend, now wife, introduces me to her mother, Brentford-born and whose granddad it turns out was groundsman at Griffin Park. She shows me a photo of her as a little ankle-biter standing on the centre circle with her foot on a massive old caseball.

Great club. I wish them the best of luck this season. Despite the shirts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)