+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lads on Tour

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sat Oct 23rd Widnes, League game. I think we should make firm arrangements for this one if we can all agree.
    Fine by me BT.

I can pick and choose who I go to see because there are plenty of teams with Blyth Spartans, Morpeth, Ashington, Alnwick all within very easy reach. I am out every Sunday morning too watching Sunday league stuff so I am always getting my fill of 'Proper football' and just take the PL as it comes these days.

If you can pick and choose from non-league locally Sub, you'll be saving on your petrol bill compared to the long drag down to Turf Moor. Just following Clitheroe has bumped up my fuel bill compared with a regular run over to Turf Moor, a week last Sunday it was Northwich, last Saturday Glossop, this Saturday Ellesmere Port for a FA Cup game against City of Liverpoll, next Tuesday Ellesmere Port again for a League game. My ST, like yours, only cost me £30, but the saving goes straight into the fuel tank. But I don't mind one little bit, I love football again after the PL and VAR almost killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If you can pick and choose from non-league locally Sub, you'll be saving on your petrol bill compared to the long drag down to Turf Moor. Just following Clitheroe has bumped up my fuel bill compared with a regular run over to Turf Moor, a week last Sunday it was Northwich, last Saturday Glossop, this Saturday Ellesmere Port for a FA Cup game against City of Liverpoll, next Tuesday Ellesmere Port again for a League game. My ST, like yours, only cost me £30, but the saving goes straight into the fuel tank. But I don't mind one little bit, I love football again after the PL and VAR almost killed it for me.
    My mate, Ken, who is an ex-Secretary at various clubs, including Blyth Spartans and Bedlington Terriers, is an absolute fon of knowledge as far as the non-league scene is concerned and he is made most welcome at whichever ground we turn up at. We will probably go to a few Ashington away matches, however, with Blyth and Morpeth playing at higher levels and within four to five miles away we will be going to see them on occasions. We will also be making the odd trip down to the Turf because Ken made quite a lot of friends when he was ferrying me up and down and then became a ST holder so we will pop down to keep in touch with friends.

Ashington came a cropper last night in a game which they dominated. If you don't score when you are on top it almost always comes back to haunt you. 1-1 at half time, missed chance after missed chance, concede a sloppy goal and then another right on the final whistle and Redcar were well pleased with their victory!

The Clitheroe game against Runcorn Linnets yesterday was proceeding amicably enough, just another game of non-league football, when the liner on the top side, close to where we were stood, asked the ref to come over and they engaged in a whispered conversation for several minutes. No one knew what it was about, the players stood about looking bemused and the fans began to get restless, by this time the ref had got his little black book out and was making notes, this was obviously serious stuff. After what seemed like ages he trotted over to the other side of the pitch and started talking to the two managers, still no one had clue WTF it was all about. Then the Clitheroe manager trotted over to the top side towards us fans, who were asking him what was happening. He said the liner had heard homophobic chanting and if there was any more of it the game would be abandoned. I'd heard nothing of the sort, neither it seems had anyone else in the vicinity and we told him so, to which he replied 'The liner says he's heard someone calling one of the Runcorn players gay'. Well maybe he had, but again neither me nor my mate had heard it, and we were in that area. So 'Just cool it lads eh' our manager said and trotted away again, and after about a ten minute delay, the game proceeded to it's natural end.

I suppose it couldn't last, but I thought non league was a PC and Woke Free Zone, an oasis in a desert of lunacy, but no, it's now arrived in non-league as well. I expect it will do the big-eared liner's career no harm at all, he'll soon be reffing at a higher level, but it's the double standards, the hypocrisy that pisses me off. There are numerous women, young boys and young girls at non-league games, and they are subjected to an absolute torrent of foul and obscene language for every 90 minutes from the players and the coaching staffs and the officials let it all go, they're not interested. Why is it that the officials find it perfectly acceptable for women and children to listen to effing and blinding throughout a game of which they are in charge, but when one fan calls a player gay, they are prepared to abandon the game.

Seems a bit queer to me, if you'll pardon the expression.
    Last edited by sinkov; 12-09-2021 at 10:56 AM.

sinkov, that is all a bit daft, however, it just seems typical of the modern age.
    I totally agree about the language which is ignored, even though there are women and children in attendance although, from a technical point of view, it is the home secretary who is responsible for dealing with problems with the fans and keeping order at his ground! Not an easy task at all and open to lots of abuse ---I have the t-shirt!

Really sad to read your comments though.

Mention "Lesbian, Gay, Bi-***ual or Transgender" in any sort of derogatory way and trouble is just moments away mon ami.

I know this to be true because the police were called to a pub in Bolton when someone heard me in a private conversation make what they said were prejudicial comments regarding our local "Gay Community".

I simply denied any such language, the people around me said all we were talking about were BFC and BWFC and off the bizzies went.

I know who dobbed me in. Their cards are marked.

Cracking game tonight, Clitheroe 2 Marine 0, Clitheroe finished with 10 men, Marine finished with 8. Proper football.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Cracking game tonight, Clitheroe 2 Marine 0, Clitheroe finished with 10 men, Marine finished with 8. Proper football.
    Sounds like two sets of thugs knocking the bejesus out of each other to me mon ami?

We've had two bad results, Marine were flying high, I'm sure they arrived thinking 'we'll have this lot tonight', and you know what Scousers are like when they don't get what they want.

With 5 minutes to go Marine were down to 9 men, one straight red and two yellows, when the Burnley connection kicked in, literally. Our ex-manager, Gawthorpe Black Holer David Lynch was playing for them, Jake Connelly, John's grandson, hit him with one of them two-footed cruise missile type tackles, a Kevin Ball special. This led to a mass brawl, Jake getting a red card, and David unable to continue and as they'd used up all their subs they had to play on with just 8 of them left. There was lots of other stuff went on as well, that was just one of the highlights, but there's not much beats seeing gobby Scousers sent home with their tails between their legs.
    Last edited by sinkov; 16-09-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)