+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blades away...

Blades away...

...in the next round of the Carabao. Oh well!

Roo has said he intends fielding much the same side as against Salford. Unless SU reciprocate and field their U23s I can see this being the end of our interest in the Whateveritscalledthisyear Cup.

That stance raises the "should we be loyal or should we try to get as far as possible in the Cup" argument. For the FA Cup I'd say play your best side with the possible exception of the keeper. For the Whatever..... job I say keep the faith/loyalty earned by those who kept us in it.

With the need to protect our squad and "blood" more experienced players Wayne has no choice this season. The league is our focus, avoiding relegation the aim!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Roo has said he intends fielding much the same side as against Salford. Unless SU reciprocate and field their U23s I can see this being the end of our interest in the Whateveritscalledthisyear Cup.

That stance raises the "should we be loyal or should we try to get as far as possible in the Cup" argument. For the FA Cup I'd say play your best side with the possible exception of the keeper. For the Whatever..... job I say keep the faith/loyalty earned by those who kept us in it.
    Seems strange that in just a week we may have become favourites for this one given the Blades’ apparent inability to shake off the same relegation ‘hangover’ that has seemingly dogged us for so long.

Not the most important of up and coming matches imo, but I’d expect both clubs to be resting many and fielding some youngsters.

.... their less than great start gives hope.

But its the hope that kills you

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    But its the hope that kills you
    It used to, in my case, GP. These days I don't ponder on setbacks, and we will get them, but prefer to look forward to the next game.

The table, at this stage of the season doesn't really tell the story of how it will pan out. Some teams with 7 points can point to why they might have had 9. Their opponents might think they ought to have shaved a point or 3 off them. Others, who will remain nameless, languish, bottom of the heap with zero points. Nil, niets, nada. They too will think they should have more than they do. I certainly think we ought to have more than the 4 we have. The Udders draw was about right over the 90 minutes. Over 90 minutes we beat Posh but a 91st minute refereeing error gave them a free kick we should have had. They scored from it and that "gave them wings" and they pushed for, and got, a 2nd. Ref gives us the free kick, as he should have, and it's probably us going away with all 3 points. All opinion and none more valid than the other.

What's gone is gone. Up for tomorrow and believing we can give Gibbo's Boro a thraipsing. The bloke deserves to lose. Then it's all eyes on our young guns giving it their all against whatever side the Blades put out. Then it's my 3 days back in Blighty (Brum n Derby) visitng friends, family, several pubs, watch the Red Dogs lose what would hopefully be their 5th successive setback and then back home Sunday afterrnoon. Always something to look forward to. Even when you believe it's a game we'll lose, you can look forward to us, at least, playing some decent moves in the game. A 20 minute cameo from a tee-nager wanting to claim a more regular place. With the ones we have, given a smattering of half decent experienced players around them, we have something on which we can build over the next few years.

Hope doesn't kill you, although it can knock you back, but having no hope is the stuff of depression and that's really bad.

Tomorrow night obviously pales into insignificance compared with Saturday, but given the Blades’ current plight - one point and the worst GD in the division - they’re not likely to be high on confidence and may also be looking ahead to next weekend.

I know what you mean about playing our strongest side, MA...but in all the circumstances I’d protect our ‘best side’, especially the likes of Davies and Jagielka, and provide another opportunity for the youngsters to show what they’re all about.

A decent performance at Bramall Lane and being injury free for Saturday and I’ll be happy. Enjoy your weekend MA.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

1. A decent performance at Bramall Lane and being injury free for Saturday and I’ll be happy. 2.
    2. Enjoy your weekend MA.
    1. Rooney has again stated it'll be the kids. A sensible move considering our main aim this season. Just a shame that the behind the scenes fooooook up has had such an impact on on the field matters.... ironic that a lack of money and what that has done to finances and the club's sustainability should lead to us fielding a team of tee-nagers rather than look to a financially beneficial cup run.....

2. Thanks rA. Fly into Brum. Lunch in the general area of New Street with my sister in law and niece. Then get the train to Derby, check into the hotel and off to the Neppy for a few Pedi's. Dinner somewhere and then a few more hostelries. Saturday morning, the Brunny. Leave there about 1145, up to the ground, watch us help the Red Dogs keep up their perfect record. Meet some friends of ours for a beer and a catch up, no seen them for almost 2 years thanks to Covid. After that, beer and dinner but not in any specific order. Sunday morning breakfast in a pub and then off to Brum airport, earlier than normal, get a Covid test. Hit the bar whilst awaiting the negative result, check in, beer and food, board the plane and back home. I think I may well enjoy it.
    Last edited by MadAmster; 23-08-2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: fooooook - the lengths to which one has to go to beat the swear check

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    1. Rooney has again stated it'll be the kids. A sensible move considering our main aim this season. Just a shame that the behind the scenes fooooook up has had such an impact on on the field matters.... ironic that a lack of money and what that has done to finances and the club's sustainability should lead to us fielding a team of tee-nagers rather than look to a financially beneficial cup run.....

2. Thanks rA. Fly into Brum. Lunch in the general area of New Street with my sister in law and niece. Then get the train to Derby, check into the hotel and off to the Neppy for a few Pedi's. Dinner somewhere and then a few more hostelries. Saturday morning, the Brunny. Leave there about 1145, up to the ground, watch us help the Red Dogs keep up their perfect record. Meet some friends of ours for a beer and a catch up, no seen them for almost 2 years thanks to Covid. After that, beer and dinner but not in any specific order. Sunday morning breakfast in a pub and then off to Brum airport, earlier than normal, get a Covid test. Hit the bar whilst awaiting the negative result, check in, beer and food, board the plane and back home. I think I may well enjoy it.
    Lol...seems to be a beer theme in there somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)