+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Callum Styles

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree with that. Also Styles ran the show at Elland Rd when we were very unfortunately beaten 1-0 in the great escape season. Styles has an eye for goal and needs to play further up. However, I ent sin us laik yit this season so I can't comment on how he's doing based on 10 minutes of highlights. The Luton game will be the first time I see us live but on the red button. When av ed mi 2nd Covid jab al gu to Oakwell to see em in the flesh. As tha sez, tha can see far more being there in the stand than tha can on camera
    Pass , I'm seriously impressed with the young talent we have here at the moment in terms of championship sustainability .

Val with his methods made us a team and shifted us from relegation fodder in to contenders .

It's imperative that work continues with a style of football that has more longevity .

Val's given us belief and it cannot be underestimated just what he achieved here .

That needs to be built upon and go to the next level .

Schopp's remit is to make this talented group a team with his own methods .

If the Belgium lads hit the ground it could be very good in my opinion .

If of course is the operative word .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just my opinion Nudge but putting Styles back to left wing back is just sticking a plaster over a deep wound . One of Styles best games in a red shirt was at Brentford on that memorable final night .
    He played that night up the pitch and wide , he scored the first goal and caused Brentford all kinds of problems that night , they couldn't handle him when he came inside .
    Get a bloody wing back in and let this kid play where he can use his ability far more effectively .
    It does seem like a wasted luxury doesn't it, almost hiding him at 'wing back' when we know hes got better attacking rather than defending qualities.

It always frustrated the hell out of me when Owen Archdeacon got pushed back like that, when he was also an attacking rather than a defending player.
    Last edited by Acido; 15-08-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Not a popular thought but. I think id consider cashing in on styles now.
    Reason being Benson and palmer will ultimately be the 2 centre midfielders.
    We need a wingback more than we need a 3rd midfielder at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It does seem like a wasted luxury doesn't it, almost hiding him at 'wing back' when we know hes got better attacking rather than defending qualities.

It always frustrated the hell out of me when Owen Archdeacon got pushed back like that, when he was also an attacking rather than a defending player.
    Archdeacon were a class act weren't he. Just as solid and dependable type o footballer as they come.

John Beresford was a midfielder when he first came to Oakwell but when he went left back under Alan Clarke it totally changed his career and he never looked back.

It's early days fo Styles but he has some great attributes. It wint come overnight but learning his trade in midfield will make him better in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    Styles seems to be struggling in central midfield. I would be tempted to put him back to LWB and start Palmer and Benson in central midfield
    I agree Nozzer. I don't think that Styles is struggling in midfield but I do agree that he looked better at left wing back. Benson and |Palmer then in midfield with Kane as back up. The team would then be stronger. We seemed to struggle at full back last Saturday. Brittain did not have his best day either. Perhaps we are missing Mowatt more than we thought we would.

Agree with that. Also Styles ran the show at Elland Rd when we were very unfortunately beaten 1-0 in the great escape season. Styles has an eye for goal and needs to play further up. However, I ent sin us laik yit this season so I can't comment on how he's doing based on 10 minutes of highlights. The Luton game will be the first time I see us live but on the red button. When av ed mi 2nd Covid jab al gu to Oakwell to see em in the flesh. As tha sez, tha can see far more being there in the stand than tha can on camera
    No Sky Red Button service according to the current listings for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    No Sky Red Button service according to the current listings for this game.

My mistake Poggy, al ifollow it mate instead

Archdeacon were a class act weren't he. Just as solid and dependable type o footballer as they come. John Beresford was a midfielder when he first came to Oakwell but when he went left back under Alan Clarke it totally changed his career and he never looked back.

It's early days fo Styles but he has some great attributes. It wint come overnight but learning his trade in midfield will make him better in time.
    Hey Pass Im glad you also think that about Archie, and remember his only fault is that he was Scotch lol. Ohh and he looked a little bit too much like Blackadder as well.
    And John Beresford was a big miss when we sold him cheaply, to Portsmouth I think.

But anyway, back onto the Styles subject before anybody tells me off lol. If we were to 'cash in' on him now, I wonder what clubs would be prepared to offer and what we'd be prepared to sell for. I don't want us to of course not, but Id be interested to know.

Styles is loved here by the majority of us because of what he gives us going forward .

I've never read one single post that praises his defensive ability .

It's pretty much common sense to me that he should be higher up that pitch .

Just my opinion mind .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12