+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matches or Seasons?

Matches or Seasons?

rA's earlierpost brought to mind a question about how you 'celebrate'/reminisc on the history of The Rams personally - is it by game, or by season?

Yes we've been through some **** over the years, but for those of us with long enough memories there have been some genuinely good seasons. There have also been some fantastic games.

For instance, we never won the European Cup, but some of those midweek games were bloody magical (OK I'm seeing them through impressionable ****age eyes)

Some of the early games at Pride Park with Eranio etc weaving their magic were unmissable

But even in mundane seasons there were games where we came up against more talented teams and somehow ground something out - the first game of 96-97 when we could have crumbled against Leeds, and poss let our season slip away, but ground out a 3-3 is another I recall

Anyone else got a view on what they look back on with most pleasure?

1-0 vs Newcastle: a rare moment of relief in an otherwise traumatic season

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    1-0 vs Newcastle: a rare moment of relief in an otherwise traumatic season
    Classic...but it was mid September and even we didn’t realise that that isolated win would see us having over a third of our total points for the season.

Another relegation season...30 years ago, towards the end in 1991...when we thrashed Southampton 6-2 at the BBG.

Good seasons are easy to remember. There haven't been that many in the past 60 years.

Games. Those European nights were special. I remember a League Cup games against Hull. Their winger Wagstaffe (think that was the name) was bearing down on the right hand side of our box at the Ossie End. He shaped to shoot and Roy Mac slid in, he ball shot off his foot from the corner of the box and just inside the right hand post. Probably the best own goal I've ever seen. Anglo italian Final at Wembley against Cremonese, a defeat but flying over and having a great day and evening out in London with my brother made it very special. The coffee cup game.The 76 Semi at Hillsboro. Perfectly good goal ruled out and, post match, a very close family friend died of a heart attack outside the ground. Burnley 0-0 first game under Clough in the First Division. If we'd still been playing now it'd still be 0-0. Neither side looked like scoring. Derby 0- L**ds 0, early 70s midweek game. One of the best games I've seen. Lots of shots, many on target, 2 keepers in supreme form who had both decided "they shall not pass". Got home and said to me Dad, you have to watch MOTD.... nah! who wants to watch a dull 0-0. I persuaded him to watch all the same. He was glad I did. 5-3 win away at Spurs. Charity Shield win.......... Many more I could mention at the BBG against top sides we put between 4 and 8 past. I'll leave those to others to post.
    Last edited by MadAmster; 18-08-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Burnley 0-0 first game under Clough in the First Division. If we'd still been playing now it'd still be 0-0. Neither side looked like scoring.
    Likewise the Carlisle game after the team paraded round the second league title. Most boring game I ever attended, poss the other 37999 shared my view

At the other end of the scale I particularly remember a defeat at a freezing, wet and very windy Blackpool, early 70s and, same era, another defeat at an even colder, windier and even wetter Huddersfield.

Never thought I'd feel that cold again at a game, ever. I was wrong. EM Derby weekend, our game was on the Sunday. Notts County were home to Tranmere on the Saturday. We went. Couple of beers in the NCFC fans bar and then just nefore kick off we took our seats in the stand. COOOLLDDD!!! HT we went back to the bar as it was warmer in there. On the way back to our seats I stopped off at a foos kiosk and boght a steaming hot pie. Up to my seat with and it was almost impossible to eat. Nowt wrong with the pie other than it wouldn't stop still long enough for me to take a bite. I was that damned cold my hands were shaking so very vigorously that when I went to take a bite I kept missing it.......... Damned awful. They won, 3-2, Jon Stead score 2 and got the assist for the 3rd. Still didn't feel warm though. That took till about 9 in the evening.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)