+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POWER …… how long did it take Valérien to know that this was the key

POWER …… how long did it take Valérien to know that this was the key

….. to success in the Championship.
    So how long is it going to take Marcus Schopp to realise that ???

If we had the two big lads up front that Luton had got then we would have won that.
    Although to be fair Schopp said in his post match interview that Morris was missed.

I thought Cole looked promising when he came on. His speed over the grass will worry defences this season.
    Also Frieser worked hard but didn’t get the service he deserved.

Did anyone understand the formation we played - because I didn’t.
    Was it …… 3-3-1-3 ?
    It definitely wasn’t the usual 343.

Although Kitching was playing as a full back so shouldn’t that make it a flat back 4 ?
    But Brittain on the right side was playing upfield as a wing back 🤷🏻*♂️
    Styles was deep midfield when his best position is attacking midfield.
    Palmer was behind the front 3 - which IMO he’s a holding midfielder.
    The formation seemed to be all over the place.

Ok - there was a defensive mistake (which may have been a result of a change in formation) for their goal but overall the defence and midfield played really well.
    Benson showed again why Mowatt won’t be missed.
    It’s just we didn’t have the power up front - forward players that the midfielders can aim passes at - forwards who are able to hold the ball up to allow the midfield players to get into forward positions.

Last season our most productive time was when we had both the big forwards Dike and Morris on the field at the same time.
    I posted some weeks ago that we need 6 strikers and 4 of them should be tall, strong and quick so we have the option of having two on the field at the same time.
    We currently have none.
    Obbi not fit.
    Morris out injured.
    If Morris is going to be out for any length of time then it’s fortunate that it’s happened during a transfer window. We need a replacement that is similar - even if it’s a loan.

Woodrow had his usual poor game - and I know he’s a favourite on here - but at some point people are going to recognise what I’m saying.
    Woodrow offers nothing - neither speed or strength.
    Personally I’d put him behind Victor and Miller in the pecking order.
    Making him captain was a big mistake.

Other than that - even though we never looked like scoring and after 3 minutes we were probably going to lose - I thought the crowd in the Ponti was great.
    And before the match I said hello to Danny Wilson - it was good to see him at the ground.

Ismael "moved on" at the first opportunity he got--with him went empty stadiums, lack of transfer money in the game meaning a consistent squad, six substitutions per game and an injury free season. His hoofball system was sussed towards the end of last season by matching his physical approach and playing over "the press".

Time to stop "wondering what Big Val would have done".

Simple problem within your theory..
    POWER costs MONEY...

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Ismael "moved on" at the first opportunity he got--with him went empty stadiums, lack of transfer money in the game meaning a consistent squad, six substitutions per game and an injury free season. His hoofball system was sussed towards the end of last season by matching his physical approach and playing over "the press".

Time to stop "wondering what Big Val would have done".
    Ismael moved on - but Luton played nearly the exact same tactics as Barnsley last season.
    And won.
    Schopp - who I believe will get things right eventually - has said, we are going to mix it up this season - with more time on the ball but still having the option of direct football.
    So far, the more time spent on the ball has been quite successful.
    But retaining the option to go direct hasn’t been successful - because there’s no target striker in the team that the defenders and midfield can aim passes at.

IMO - when playing 343 we need 2 target strikers on the field at the same time along with a quick striker.
    We have 2 quick strikers in Frieser and Cole - either one could fit the quick striker role.
    However we only have 2 target strikers in the squad - Morris and Obbi.
    We need more than that.
    As yet we don’t know what category Leya falls into.

Dike and Morris caused mayhem for opposing defenders last season.
    The addition of those 2 target strikers in January made all the difference in reaching the playoffs.
    Those types of players are currently unavailable in the squad.
    We cannot have a rounded Championship squad if there are no target strikers available.
    That’s like saying we haven’t any centre backs available in the squad but we will manage without them.

The club has made sure there is adequate cover for the 3 centre back positions.
    Appo, Helik, Mads, Moon, Kitching, Toby.
    They need the same approach when looking at the target striker positions.

It's early days , very early days .

Get our transfer business done , the Belgium lads starting games .

10 to 15 championship games under our belts .

We've just had an HC screaming at the squad for 40 games not to pass the ball or play out from the back .

The transition under Schopp and his methods was never going to be smooth early doors .

Patience required I believe .

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    ….. to success in the Championship.
    So how long is it going to take Marcus Schopp to realise that ???

If we had the two big lads up front that Luton had got then we would have won that.
    Although to be fair Schopp said in his post match interview that Morris was missed.

I thought Cole looked promising when he came on. His speed over the grass will worry defences this season.
    Also Frieser worked hard but didn’t get the service he deserved.

Did anyone understand the formation we played - because I didn’t.
    Was it …… 3-3-1-3 ?
    It definitely wasn’t the usual 343.

Although Kitching was playing as a full back so shouldn’t that make it a flat back 4 ?
    But Brittain on the right side was playing upfield as a wing back 🤷🏻*♂️
    Styles was deep midfield when his best position is attacking midfield.
    Palmer was behind the front 3 - which IMO he’s a holding midfielder.
    The formation seemed to be all over the place.

Ok - there was a defensive mistake (which may have been a result of a change in formation) for their goal but overall the defence and midfield played really well.
    Benson showed again why Mowatt won’t be missed.
    It’s just we didn’t have the power up front - forward players that the midfielders can aim passes at - forwards who are able to hold the ball up to allow the midfield players to get into forward positions.

Last season our most productive time was when we had both the big forwards Dike and Morris on the field at the same time.
    I posted some weeks ago that we need 6 strikers and 4 of them should be tall, strong and quick so we have the option of having two on the field at the same time.
    We currently have none.
    Obbi not fit.
    Morris out injured.
    If Morris is going to be out for any length of time then it’s fortunate that it’s happened during a transfer window. We need a replacement that is similar - even if it’s a loan.

Woodrow had his usual poor game - and I know he’s a favourite on here - but at some point people are going to recognise what I’m saying.
    Woodrow offers nothing - neither speed or strength.
    Personally I’d put him behind Victor and Miller in the pecking order.
    Making him captain was a big mistake.

Other than that - even though we never looked like scoring and after 3 minutes we were probably going to lose - I thought the crowd in the Ponti was great.
    And before the match I said hello to Danny Wilson - it was good to see him at the ground.
    Massive respect for the journey Val took us on last season and the buzz he gave me personally in a real dark period in history .

However .

Val didn't believe he could repeat it or even improve on it here .

He did one at the first opportunity that presented it's self to a bigger budget club with better players .

I didn't see Thomas Frank doing one when Brentford lost the play offs in 2020 .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Massive respect for the journey Val took us on last season and the buzz he gave me personally in a real dark period in history .

However .

Val didn't believe he could repeat it or even improve on it here .

He did one at the first opportunity that presented it's self to a bigger budget club with better players .

I didn't see Thomas Frank doing one when Brentford lost the play offs in 2020 .
    Fair point about Frank.
    But did anyone want him ?
    You can’t blame the exodus to West Brom.
    All those that went will have increased their salary massively.
    And of course they have a squad of ex-Premier players - so there is a bigger chance of getting back there.

Yes - it’s very early days.
    And eventually Schopp will get things right - especially when he has got
    Cole, Obbi and Leya up to speed.
    Not forgetting there is probably another 2 midfielders to come in.
    Although making sure the target striker position is covered still stands.
    Powerful strikers seem essential in this league.
    We currently haven’t got any available.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Fair point about Frank.
    But did anyone want him ?
    You can’t blame the exodus to West Brom.
    All those that went will have increased their salary massively.
    And of course they have a squad of ex-Premier players - so there is a bigger chance of getting back there.

Yes - it’s very early days.
    And eventually Schopp will get things right - especially when he has got
    Cole, Obbi and Leya up to speed.
    Not forgetting there is probably another 2 midfielders to come in.
    Although making sure the target striker position is covered still stands.
    Powerful strikers seem essential in this league.
    We currently haven’t got any available.
    What I'm saying is Nudge is that Frank believed in his methods and the Brentford model despite losing Watkins and Benrahma .

He believed he could improve on Brentford missing out in 2020 .

Val didn't here .

It's early days , very early days .

Get our transfer business done , the Belgium lads starting games .

10 to 15 championship games under our belts .

We've just had an HC screaming at the squad for 40 games not to pass the ball or play out from the back .

The transition under Schopp and his methods was never going to be smooth early doors .

Patience required I believe .

Couldn't agree more. As we know though, patience isn't a virtue in the stands, especially after last seasons heights. The tykestv lads were a bit critical for instance. Personally I was optimistic with what I saw 8n certain instances last night. It's the right way going forward but it ain't gonna be easy.

What I'm saying is Nudge is that Frank believed in his methods and the Brentford model despite losing Watkins and Benrahma .

He believed he could improve on Brentford missing out in 2020 .

Val didn't here .
    Absolutely correct. The fella ( and his board ) believed. Val KNEW he wouldn’t improve on last season, he achieved what he wanted, a quick result, and a quick get away. Fair play to him. We all know as fans at Barnsley what our coaches strategy is.
    In… do well and leave quick, or do poorly and get a years wages as payoff. We should, as fans get used to this.

Although I didn’t enjoy a lot of last night, I agree with Pass that there were some good bits. But the self destruct passing in our own box is just not for me.
    Last edited by Jules88; 18-08-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast