+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accrington

Accrington

So, still can't see where our goals are coming from. Nevertheless, I think we'll probably manage to squeeze one. I think our defence will be tested but will generally hold out. 1-1 withAinley scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So, still can't see where our goals are coming from. Nevertheless, I think we'll probably manage to squeeze one. I think our defence will be tested but will generally hold out. 1-1 withAinley scoring.

I feel quite confident about this game off the back of the performance at Oxford, I think defensively we are good and with Dale back on Saturday I think the goals will come, so I am going for 2-0 Crewe with Dale and Mandaron on the scoresheet.

Well does anybody have any words for that performance today ? When Artell says he does not believe we are that far off far off what exactly ?

Another day of fielding a bare bones squad, although we did have a full subs bench today. Not the result we wanted, but, when taken with the Oxford performance, there are the faint signs that we can compete. I honestly felt that a draw would've been a fair result.

Trig showed why he is no better than our back-up keeper. Even Chris Porter looked cheesed off with him not catching the ball. The first half was genuinely painful to watch. No ability to keep hold of the ball at all for the first fif**** minutes, with our midfield statuesque and not breaking forward. I put this down to all the disruption re Lowery, Dale, Hoban, Kirk, etc. Additionally, there are two players that are probably still in single figures for the number of time they've trained with our squad. Just as we start to gain a foothold in the game today, Trig goes and drops his clanger. This obviously re-unsettled our lads. After the break we were much the better team and, as I said earlier, I think we did enough for a draw, even after going down to ten men. Our midfield was much more mobile second half, with Murphs, Ainley and then Finney, when he came on, breaking forward and causing the Stanley defence problems.

Negatives:

1. Trig
    2. Small squad/lack of options
    3. No attacking ideas first half
    4. Keeper worked too infrequently
    5. Offord red card
    6. Ainley not in the game for large periods
    7. Where are the goals going to come from

Positives:

1. Thomas looks a real find. Again we've lost 1 - 0 and the opposition had more of the ball for long periods, but, apart from the goal, I don't really remember Trig having to make a save. His ability to read the game means he snuffs out problems before they begin, and he's the perfect partner for Offord. Also his ability to bring the ball out of defence is going to really lend itself to the way we play.
    2. Murphs - Another solid performance
    3. Macdonald looks more like now. I thought he had a good game, and was unfortunate to be brought off
    4. Offord - I know he was red carded, but, overall, I thought it was another encouraging performance
    5. Knight - Brief glimpses of what he's about today
    6. Second half performance

Overall my take away from today is that DA needs reinforcements. If Dale is going, and Lowery is not going to feature, we need at least four new faces (a creative midfielder, and out and out striker and a couple of attacking midfielders/wingers/wide strikers), and the sooner the better, so they can bed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Another day of fielding a bare bones squad, although we did have a full subs bench today. Not the result we wanted, but, when taken with the Oxford performance, there are the faint signs that we can compete. I honestly felt that a draw would've been a fair result.

Trig showed why he is no better than our back-up keeper. Even Chris Porter looked cheesed off with him not catching the ball. The first half was genuinely painful to watch. No ability to keep hold of the ball at all for the first fif**** minutes, with our midfield statuesque and not breaking forward. I put this down to all the disruption re Lowery, Dale, Hoban, Kirk, etc. Additionally, there are two players that are probably still in single figures for the number of time they've trained with our squad. Just as we start to gain a foothold in the game today, Trig goes and drops his clanger. This obviously re-unsettled our lads. After the break we were much the better team and, as I said earlier, I think we did enough for a draw, even after going down to ten men. Our midfield was much more mobile second half, with Murphs, Ainley and then Finney, when he came on, breaking forward and causing the Stanley defence problems.

Negatives:

1. Trig
    2. Small squad/lack of options
    3. No attacking ideas first half
    4. Keeper worked too infrequently
    5. Offord red card
    6. Ainley not in the game for large periods
    7. Where are the goals going to come from

Positives:

1. Thomas looks a real find. Again we've lost 1 - 0 and the opposition had more of the ball for long periods, but, apart from the goal, I don't really remember Trig having to make a save. His ability to read the game means he snuffs out problems before they begin, and he's the perfect partner for Offord. Also his ability to bring the ball out of defence is going to really lend itself to the way we play.
    2. Murphs - Another solid performance
    3. Macdonald looks more like now. I thought he had a good game, and was unfortunate to be brought off
    4. Offord - I know he was red carded, but, overall, I thought it was another encouraging performance
    5. Knight - Brief glimpses of what he's about today
    6. Second half performance

Overall my take away from today is that DA needs reinforcements. If Dale is going, and Lowery is not going to feature, we need at least four new faces (a creative midfielder, and out and out striker and a couple of attacking midfielders/wingers/wide strikers), and the sooner the better, so they can bed in.

Throughly agree with the above until I get to your last paragraph we are not going to get anywhere close to 4 additional faces I think it is obvious that the club intend to bring in less players than the amount that leave, bridging that gap from last season is already a pipe dream we are definitely relegation candidates and probably favourites money needs to be spent we can’t keep selling and just replacing with cast offs and other clubs kids the lad from city is knowhere near good enough to be at league 1 level currently he looks like a lost little boy on the pitch I think that it is laughable that Artell thinks he is a direct replacement for Kirk. I do have some sympathy for Artell however when the clear problem is a lack of creativity and we have a player at the club who is under contract and is that creative player we need we should be playing him I quite frankly don’t give a flying frig whether he intends to leave at the end of the season, I would prefer him leaving with us still in league 1. It is clear Artell has underestimated the transfer market and still decent players are turning down our 2 peas and a conker contract offer, we have got some good transfer funds in get some of it spent.

Players who have left

NG
    PICKERING
    WINTLE
    LANCASHIRE
    BECKLES
    NOLAN
    KIRK
    POWELL
    HOBAN
    LOWERY (contract issues)
    DALE ( leaving don’t believe what Lunt says he is leaving)
    Add to this the 3 loan players we had last season that is 14 players

Brought in

RAMSEY
    THOMAS
    MCDONALD
    KNIGHT
    LONG
    MACFAZDEAN

That equals 6 players

So from my simple maths if we are going to just have the same numbers as last season we need at least 8, I will be surprised if we see 2 more and there is the problem massive under investment in the first team, different board but seems same mantra sell sell sell.

I summary the current Crewe squad is not as good as the side that finished 2nd in league 2 and it does not take a genius to work out that is relegation. Artell is beginning to sound like Davies and we all know how that ended.

I'm not sure what we can do.

I guess if we had offers for all eleven players that was acceptable to the club then that is what would happen. Of course we know it won't but the ethos of the club is to allow players to leave if the deal is right and even if its not as in some cases. We obviously can't afford the wages that most clubs pay even in L1 and possiby L2 and the National League and so again what can be done?

Try loan players and cast offs and hope we can survive is probably the most we can expect at the moment. The point is well made that DA is trying to make a point with Lowery but unfortunately he is probably going to have to reconsider the situation and my guess is the situation has changed and players will run contracts down which will affect their transfer value and the more that do that, the more the younger ones see that as their best option and so the wheel turns. But funny thing is the more the PL players go for 100 plus millions now, you would think that would increase the value of league players lower down and why the Championship clubs see some of our players and want to sign them but paying a million for someone who has just a few months left on their contracts won't happen and more the players will refuse to sign extensions as those clubs will be talking to those clubs with offers they can't refuse.

So what is the answer? Dunno in all honesty!

DA will see it as starting from scratch almost and hope we can survive in L1?

Hopes and dreams of us getting to the Championship are just that, dreams at least at the moment until the wheel turns again!

Where is everyone?

No match report by the usual posters?

I did watch the highlights and our GK was hopeless with that goal. A real gift. I doubt that he will attract any bids that's for sure. Even so I'm not sure we deserved anything from the match but the ones that went will know if that's the situation or not.

I've not got around to posting comments this weekend. Not sure why I bother sometimes. Have tried to keep things going including predictions but not many seem interested in responding.
    Might feel like it a bit more if a few more people get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Where is everyone?

No match report by the usual posters?

I did watch the highlights and our GK was hopeless with that goal. A real gift. I doubt that he will attract any bids that's for sure. Even so I'm not sure we deserved anything from the match but the ones that went will know if that's the situation or not.
    Personally I blame you Mike. You start posting again and everyone else stops LOL.

No Mike in all truth we did not really deserve anything. Yes later on Accrington looked like they had decided to settle for a 1-0 win and we managed some attacks, but in truth we are an awful team this season.

Though I feel that neither of our goalkeepers ever control our penalty area as they should I think it was a bit harsh to blame Richards for the Acc. goal. In each game this season we have had a major defensive problem. The centre backs are not combining which makes it difficult for the goalie. He does not know what to do. In each game so far Offord has been awful in every way you could imagine.

Who is responsible for our poor start. 4 Games played, 1 point and 1 goal scored. Bad team selection, poor formation, and hopeless, boring tactics. Without any doubt David Artell.

On a personal point Mike. Are you still having the dizzy spells and close on passing out? I appreciate that a possible heart problem and a stroke are completely different, but I am going to tell you about a friends experience. He had a stroke and lost his speech but he did not panic and persevered for a couple of hours until it returned. The important bit was the post problems. Pins and needles all the time,freezing of his face, shooting pains across the top of his head, weakness and exhaustion. Dizzy spells and unable to drive. He could only get through the day by taking the strongest non-prescription pain killers. He was really worried that he was going to get addicted.

A couple of months later he had arranged to go with a mate do do a charity street collection in Staffordshire. This would be for 7 hours. That Saturday it was in the middle of a heatwave so as a precaution he borrowed one of his grandsons baseball cap. He was still taking the painkillers every 4 hours. When they arrived he put on the baseball cap and they started the collection. He was waiting for the pains and dizziness to start again after 4 hours but they never did. That was the last time he had to take a painkiller and he now lives a normal life. That was many years ago and he has worn baseball caps ever since. If he tries to spend time without one the problems start again within 20 minutes. Over the years he has met a number of people who had recently has a stroke and were experiencing the same problems. He told them how he had overcome them, and in each case it worked for them.

Not saying it would work for you Mike but it may be worth trying. Give it a try and I hope it works.

I agree Gazan and know exactly what you mean. I tried about 12/18 months ago, multiple views with zero responses. So gave up. Think I’ve posted twice since?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast