+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomorrow

Tomorrow

So Fellow Villans... the dawn of another season at Villa Park with all its hope and optimism .... and the joys and sorrows that will inevitably follow.
    Our trip to Vicarage Road did not bear the fruit we all hoped for, in fact it could not of gone any worse.... but fans who have followed our beloved club as long as myself will not have been surprised in the slightest ... who remembers our opening game in 1981 .. Villa Park was rocking, the Holte (which was still all standing back then) was packed with 27,000 fans singing “We are the Champions” ... Sir Ron led out or heroes closely followed by Sir Dennis .. Jimmy Rimmer, Kenny Swain, Gary Williams, Allan Evans, Ken Mcnaught, Dessy, Gary Shaw, Withey, Sid and maverick winger Tony Morley .. Villa Park erupted, our opponents, newly promoted Notts County, were lambs to the slaughter.... There was no social media back then but the opinion and banter took place in the pub over a few pints of Brew X1 ... would we score 4? Maybe 5 ... The Magpies strolled in to Villa Park led by “Old Big Head” himself (Cloughys nickme for the then Notts County manager .. anyone know who I mean?), shut out the deafening, frenzied atmosphere of a packed Villa Park and beat us 1-0 .... typical Villa........
    Watford were brilliant on Saturday, they stunned us with a high tempo first half performance that yielded a two goal lead before our lot could even string a pass together ... we started getting back after the break ... but a stunning 3rd goal killed us ... we rallied (something we would not have done under Bruce) but it was a bridge too far ... we missed Ollie Watkins and that other bloke who used to play on the left wing and the day ended in total frustration ....
    For most of us we will shrug our shoulders and accept defeat with a Villans dignity and make our excuse to our Bluenose and Baggie mates ... “it’s early days, we need to gel, players need to get to know each other, we were always gonna lose against a newly promoted side playing we’ll above themselves" .... let’s move on ..
    3 0 clock on Saturday is gonna be special .. Villa Park will be packed to the rafters for the first time in nearly 18 months, despite the Woe at Watford the feel good factor is still there ... we could not have chosen better opponents ... we all love beating the Geordies and laughing at their fans (specially the lardy ones who take their shirts off &#128518 ... I still remember those classic banners in the Holte, that only Villa fans could muster up... “Who’s your saviour now then? Ant and Dec” and the memorable “Sob on the Tyne" ... brilliant...
    We need to get into Newcastle like Watford got into us last weekend ... High intensity football from the moment the ref blows his whistle ... as Villa fans know if we get an early goal at Villa Park there are not many sides that can live with us ... and that’s what we need to see on Saturday... I hope Ollie Watkins is fit ... this guy epitomises Aston Villa, his smile when he scores is like an Outspan Orange ... Emi Martinez needs to forget his glory days from the summer and get back to business..... Tyrone will covet his new armband and roar like a lion, SJM will need to impose himself and show our new lads how good he is ... I have great hope for both Buednia and Leon Bailey .. their ability is unquestionable I just hope they fit in and both hit the ground running ... Danny Ings can also be very useful as support and back up to Ollie ...
    Yes Fellow Villans, we have a lot to look forward to, I am expecting top ten ... maybe as high as 8th ... that would be a super season and another massive step in the right direction ...
    There will be highs and lows, we will cheer, cuss and swear... but that’s why we love this game ... I just wish the “AEG is ****/Smith is clueless” mob would leave us to our joys, sorrows and constructive debate ....
    So Saturday beckons and as Sir Ron used to say in his program notes ... “Today we have a tough game against a rejuvanated Newcastle United .. but as long as every player, privileged enough, to pull on the claret and blue shirt, gives 110% effort, I see no reason why we cannot be celebrating 3 points come 5 0 clock this evening"
    Come on You Lions!!!!!

Crikey Iwuz, was that really 40 years ago? I remember the following week not being any better, a three-day camel ride up to Roker Park (my 2nd and last visit there). We lost in the last minute, see, we were doing it way back then as well. 2 in 2 for the reigning Champions.

The rest of that season is a blur really. Some cup competition was becoming interesting, which would later spawn someone’s username, some 25 years later.

So, a sh1te tactical performance last week. Who’d have thought that a newly promoted, physical, and speed-laden team would be mad for it. I know, we’ll play a high, wandering, midfield line with AEG as our outlet.

Tomorrow? A Jeckle and Hyde side visits, with our favourite ‘Leafy Green’ in charge. We know that they will set up defensively, with a wizard out wide, ready to punish us on the break, a bit like Sarr, but with party tricks. So if Matty Cash can take a yellow for the team early on, then a good win looms, for those who want it.

Excellent IWUZ. Dont forget we have 3 or 4 making their home debuts, 42,000 and it wont take long to shut the toon up if, they go a goal behind, hopefully in the first 5 mins. Im hoping Watkins is fit and teams up with Bailey, I can see that one working. I think Traore may miss out as he pulled a hammy but yes, back to a full VP, some players may freeze but hopefully we will come good.

Unlucky Dave, Smith says Olly's out, along with Traore. Bailey apparently unlikely to start.

Great read Iwuz.
    I remember being at that game and wondering what the hell happened! How could the champions lose to a newly promoted team? But, as you say we are Aston Villa, anything can happen.

The Notts County manager was the incredibly handsome Jimmy Sirrel. He did work wonders for their club TBF.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)