+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blessing in disguise?

Blessing in disguise?

Whilst we all want football at the club that is challenging for promotion to the premier league I can’t help but wonder if the state we find ourselves in off the pitch may well actually help us in the long run?

We’ve tried to buy ourselves out of this league for many a season now and failed….. even taking that route I have never really thought we did it 100% yes we spent big but on the wrong players in my opinion, we tried to poach many player of the season from other clubs but never really went and got the star players of the league.

Now we find ourselves under the embargo that we are in we’ve cleared the decks of many a high earner, we’re forced to bring through players that haven’t cost us a transfer fee and then bought several really experienced players in on small football wages which hopefully the young lads can learn from?

If we can manage to stay up this season, and looking at the positives from the last few games I see no reason why not as long as injuries dot get us, then maybe we can build the club and team again? This time hopefully we’ll within FFP rules.

Just a thought! Obviously I’d love a mega money investor to come in but can’t see that happening anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2462 View Post
    Whilst we all want football at the club that is challenging for promotion to the premier league I can’t help but wonder if the state we find ourselves in off the pitch may well actually help us in the long run?

We’ve tried to buy ourselves out of this league for many a season now and failed….. even taking that route I have never really thought we did it 100% yes we spent big but on the wrong players in my opinion, we tried to poach many player of the season from other clubs but never really went and got the star players of the league.

Now we find ourselves under the embargo that we are in we’ve cleared the decks of many a high earner, we’re forced to bring through players that haven’t cost us a transfer fee and then bought several really experienced players in on small football wages which hopefully the young lads can learn from?

If we can manage to stay up this season, and looking at the positives from the last few games I see no reason why not as long as injuries dot get us, then maybe we can build the club and team again? This time hopefully we’ll within FFP rules.

Just a thought! Obviously I’d love a mega money investor to come in but can’t see that happening anytime soon!
    Doing it without spending like fools would be a welcome experiment, there are players long gone who I get annoyed about for the poor value they gave

Indeed, over the last 6 or 7 seasons we've paid millions out to buy players who leave 3 or 4 years later at the end of their contracts for nothing.

When will the club learn to enter into talks with players 1, prefereably 2, seasons prior to their contract expiring. Players you see as being ones you want to keep long term get a new deal. Those you don't see staying beyond their current contract or earlier, you sell in order to avoid having them saunter off on a free. Those you see growing and being ready for "the next level", one maybe 2 years down the road, give them a long contract with a buyout clause wherein other clubs can have them and DCFC can't stop the move, if they pay x amount for the player. That gives both sides some security.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2462 View Post

Refreshingly sensible and realistic post. Hope we feel the same at 5.00 this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Indeed, over the last 6 or 7 seasons we've paid millions out to buy players who leave 3 or 4 years later at the end of their contracts for nothing.

When will the club learn to enter into talks with players 1, prefereably 2, seasons prior to their contract expiring. Players you see as being ones you want to keep long term get a new deal. Those you don't see staying beyond their current contract or earlier, you sell in order to avoid having them saunter off on a free. Those you see growing and being ready for "the next level", one maybe 2 years down the road, give them a long contract with a buyout clause wherein other clubs can have them and DCFC can't stop the move, if they pay x amount for the player. That gives both sides some security.
    MA I can't off hand think of a player we have wanted to keep who moved on a free after we paid big bucks for him, but no doubt you will come up with an example. I can however think of a disturbingly high number of players who we paid big bucks in transfer fees for and presumably equally high wages, who we were desperate to get rid of a season or two seasons later before their contract finished!

I haven't done an accurate calculation but would estimate conservatively that the club has pissed over £50 million on transfer fees over the past 5 or so seasons before this one and have recouped less than £10 million in player sales.

Maybe Lampard's approach of using good loan players to add to some decent permanent signings wasn't such a bad idea?

The money Mel has wasted on transfer fees and wages must be over £150 million at least since he took ownership - and he has only himself to blame, he was the one promising promotion and trying to hire big name managers.

So yes a more low key build slowly approach may well be preferable, in fact its the only option at the moment, a team that want to do their best because they are grateful for the chance to play football, either because they are starting their careers or wringing one last season out at the end and have the character to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Maybe Lampard's approach of using good loan players to add to some decent permanent signings wasn't such a bad idea?

The money Mel has wasted on transfer fees and wages must be over £150 million at least since he took ownership - and he has only himself to blame, he was the one promising promotion and trying to hire big name managers.

So yes a more low key build slowly approach may well be preferable, in fact its the only option at the moment, a team that want to do their best because they are grateful for the chance to play football, either because they are starting their careers or wringing one last season out at the end and have the character to fight.
    I suppose, like most ideas, it’s good if it works...and tbf it came close. Unfortunately when it doesn’t and the ‘stars’ of your side, along with the manager, then disappear you’re worse of than you were originally. His permanent signings were nothing to write home about.

Bit harsh on MM...presumably he took advice so I’ll forgive him for trying and ‘putting his money where his mouth is’...unless his endeavours are proved to have included wrongdoing that has really dropped us in the ****.

Completely agree. ‘Hungry’ players and youngsters with something to prove along with some older experience could be good to get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I suppose, like most ideas, it’s good if it works...and tbf it came close. Unfortunately when it doesn’t and the ‘stars’ of your side, along with the manager, then disappear you’re worse of than you were originally. His permanent signings were nothing to write home about.

Bit harsh on MM...presumably he took advice so I’ll forgive him for trying and ‘putting his money where his mouth is’...unless his endeavours are proved to have included wrongdoing that has really dropped us in the ****.

Completely agree. ‘Hungry’ players and youngsters with something to prove along with some older experience could be good to get behind.
    Your being generous to Mel, though as you say IF it had paid off and we had got promoted then maybe it would all be different.

However, he could ahve recognised he understood **** all about running a football club and engaged people who did and have a strategy for it. Whats happened just smacks of some local guy with a bit of money flashing the cash in order to try to be the fans favourite, its backfired big time.

MA I can't off hand think of a player we have wanted to keep who moved on a free after we paid big bucks for him, but no doubt you will come up with an example. I can however think of a disturbingly high number of players who we paid big bucks in transfer fees for and presumably equally high wages, who we were desperate to get rid of a season or two seasons later before their contract finished!

I haven't done an accurate calculation but would estimate conservatively that the club has pissed over £50 million on transfer fees over the past 5 or so seasons before this one and have recouped less than £10 million in player sales.

You've actually extended the scope of the discussion. I merely wrote of how many "big" signings left for nowt at the end of their contract but didn't comment on whether we might have wanted to keep them or not. My point being that we could have got something back (probably not as much as we'd paid) for them one or two years earlier if we'd put them on the transfer list or at least made other clubs aware that they are available. As happens in the Netherlands. That might possibly be down to clubs having to supply the Dutch FA with a believable budget each season in order to get a licence to play. If they are in debt they have to supply details of how they can and will eradicate that debt within, I believe, the next 5 years. A budget that looks like a story from Jackanory sees the club not get a licence and they are out of the League. Lesser transgressions can lead to other sanctions. This season they were unhappy with the budget from ADO den Haag. They received a 3 point deduction. They have appealed the decision.

Players like Jozefzoon. Surely we could have sold him for something after year 1 or got more than just the one loan fee and reduction in wages we had to pay.

Most of those who went on a free were players we would have wanted to get rid of earlier and get something for. We didn't. If we reviewed the squad and contracts each season and extended those we want and tried to lose those we don't, we might be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    You've actually extended the scope of the discussion. I merely wrote of how many "big" signings left for nowt at the end of their contract but didn't comment on whether we might have wanted to keep them or not. My point being that we could have got something back (probably not as much as we'd paid) for them one or two years earlier if we'd put them on the transfer list or at least made other clubs aware that they are available. As happens in the Netherlands. That might possibly be down to clubs having to supply the Dutch FA with a believable budget each season in order to get a licence to play. If they are in debt they have to supply details of how they can and will eradicate that debt within, I believe, the next 5 years. A budget that looks like a story from Jackanory sees the club not get a licence and they are out of the League. Lesser transgressions can lead to other sanctions. This season they were unhappy with the budget from ADO den Haag. They received a 3 point deduction. They have appealed the decision.

Players like Jozefzoon. Surely we could have sold him for something after year 1 or got more than just the one loan fee and reduction in wages we had to pay.

Most of those who went on a free were players we would have wanted to get rid of earlier and get something for. We didn't. If we reviewed the squad and contracts each season and extended those we want and tried to lose those we don't, we might be better off.
    Which ones? Martin turned down a new deal and left on a free, but then the previous season he wasn't rated and was loaned out, Waghorn left this summer, but down to our financial position can't recall many other big price signings we let go on a free - we let some go cut price presumably to get them off the books?

Which ones? Martin turned down a new deal and left on a free, but then the previous season he wasn't rated and was loaned out, Waghorn left this summer, but down to our financial position can't recall many other big price signings we let go on a free - we let some go cut price presumably to get them off the books?
    Martin's a poor example as he left for the same price we paid for him, nowt. Waghorn leaving is, as you say, probably down to us no longer being able to pay him what he wants.

I can't find it at the moment but I saw a list online a few months back of players we'd bought for a few million and who left us for nowt over recent seasons. There was 40 odd million in incoming transfers of players, all of whom left on a free.

My point, which you seem to be missing, is that, if we looked annually at the players we have, how they are doing, how they fit in with the style, value for money.......... and decided who was likely to still be wanted 3 years down the road and give them an extension on their contracts and try to unload the ones we don't want. That way players don't get to the situation where they have just one season left on their contracts and decide that they're happy to stay for that last season and then get to leave on a free and thereby negotiate higher signing on bonus for themselves. My suggestion was to stop allowing contracts to run down by doing something about it.

Question. Is my idea of annually running the rule over the squad and offering players we are likey to want to keep an extension and unloading those we are less enamoured with a good idea? It's one used at many Dutch clubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)