+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Strange but True

Strange but True

As a student I found myself studying in Birmingham and so, in addition to watching Derby, I started to go and see Birmingham City every so often as a sort of, far distant, second team.

My younger son - unfortunately an Aston Villa supporter, has spent a couple of years now at university at UEA and has developed a secondary affinity for Norwich City.

So last night was something of a celebratory evening for him as both his two teams won 6-0.

How often is that likely to happen: anyone else have second teams that have sometimes followed?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    As a student I found myself studying in Birmingham and so, in addition to watching Derby, I started to go and see Birmingham City every so often as a sort of, far distant, second team.

My younger son - unfortunately an Aston Villa supporter, has spent a couple of years now at university at UEA and has developed a secondary affinity for Norwich City.

So last night was something of a celebratory evening for him as both his two teams won 6-0.

How often is that likely to happen: anyone else have second teams that have sometimes followed?
    All 'follow' rather than 'in my DNA'

(Glasgow) Rangers through Mrs F's allegiance
    Burton Albion as my 'non-league' team back in the day, neither my fault or there's they've had a level of success
    Real Mallorca, who I've popped in to see over the years and who have gone rags to riches to rags to sort-of-riches in a manner I hope Derby never do

Rangers have always been my Scottish team. Probably down to my neighbours for the first 12 years of my life being Rangers fans and family of 'Gers goalkeeper Billy Richie.

Always followed Burton Albion's results. Born there and watched the odd game as a very young kid. Also played against their reserves in my early ****s (14/15).

After emigrating in '84 and living in Amsterdam, I follow my new home city side, Ajax.

Glasgow Rangers through my dad.
    He went to Ibrox just before and after the 2nd World War and boy did he have some stories to tell about the tribalism between them and Celtic (many somewhat gruesome)!
    Burton Albion in their non league days, Morton (I forget why), Hartlepool and Accrington Stanley from the days when clubs had to re-apply for Membership of the FL when finishing bottom of the old 4th Division. More recently the 'new' Wimbledon and (a bit) Salford.
    Hate, apart from you know who, MK Dons (see Wimbledon), Leeds, Man City and PSG.

No great lover of Red Dogs, don't like the Bhoys, L**ds, ManU

If we are going to add overseas teams, I will augment my original post by including Dandy Town Hornets (home of Nakhi Wells), and can even lay caim to playing an extremely small part in a giant killing knocking them out of the Cup one year. Also Fluminense in Brazil after watching them demolish Gremio at Maracana

No interest in Scottish teams, non league wise I have a soft spot for Forest Green Rovers because they are so tiny - although their conversion to veganism has stressed my support significantly.

I have been a paying spectator at the 2000 capacity Saronikas FC stadium on Aegina island, Greece so would guess they are a team I follow when I visit the island

Back in 1985 I also played there in a scratch team in an 'International' against the Aegina island side to commemorate the change from a gravel pitch (I kid you not) to grass. I've never seen so much blood on a football pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    If we are going to add overseas teams, I will augment my original post by including Dandy Town Hornets (home of Nakhi Wells), and can even lay caim to playing an extremely small part in a giant killing knocking them out of the Cup one year. Also Fluminense in Brazil after watching them demolish Gremio at Maracana

No interest in Scottish teams, non league wise I have a soft spot for Forest Green Rovers because they are so tiny - although their conversion to veganism has stressed my support significantly.
    FGR non-League?

They were when I started following them back in the 1980's - about tier 12 in today's language

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)