+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sick of Football and Footballers!

Sick of Football and Footballers!

I know its probably me but for the very first time in my life loving watching football and many famous footballers of their day like Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton, George Best etc, I am sick of the way the game has gone these past few years.

OK we are not in the same vein as the PL but just reading the greed of some of these players like Ronaldo who reportedly have just signed for ManU at age 36 getting again reportedly 480,000 pounds PER week.

If I was a ManU fan I would sell my ST right away as players like this and the PL is full of them are worth tens if not hundreds of millions like Ronaldo and Messi and yet they still have not got enough. Now if they were telling us and they may do this and give it all away to deserving charities then maybe just maybe it could be worthwhile doing but would they?

Our little team full of wannabees are no different in mindset and want a piece of that action and again it just makes me sick and you know folks I may just not watch another match ever.

Just me I suppose as could never understand why fans can cheer these players who are in fact mercenaries.

Not all. Read the Luke Murphy article in the current issue of "Inside Crewe".

Agree with the absolute obscenity of the wages Mike.
    But, google Christiano Ronaldo charity works and you may be surprised.
    For example
    Ronaldo currently serves as an ambassador for Save the Children, UNICEF and World Vision. In a recent display of activism, on March 24, 2020, Ronaldo donated $1.08 million to 3 hospitals in Portugal, working to fight COVID-19 in the country.

The obscenity of both wages and transfer fees is not good for the game in my opinion ...
    Even do not like the BBC spending well over £200m on Match of the Day !!

For once I agree with you Mike

I lost any interest in the Premiership about 2 seasons ago. Wages are obscene and I blame Sky for this. I used to love watching golf and cricket, now I don't even know when teams are playing and that includes International Cricket. The above authorities are wondering why people are not playing those games anymore. Wish people would stop sky subs and it might alter things a little.

I don't blame players for trying to get as much money as they can. I assume if you and I were in their position we would do the same. It's the clubs fault for paying it and chasing the dream.
    I heard the other day and believe it to be true that a Championship league club tried to loan a Premiership player who had not played a first team match and were told yes you can have him as long as you pay his wages of £45000 pw !!!

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    For once I agree with you Mike

I lost any interest in the Premiership about 2 seasons ago. Wages are obscene and I blame Sky for this. I used to love watching golf and cricket, now I don't even know when teams are playing and that includes International Cricket. The above authorities are wondering why people are not playing those games anymore. Wish people would stop sky subs and it might alter things a little.

I don't blame players for trying to get as much money as they can. I assume if you and I were in their position we would do the same. It's the clubs fault for paying it and chasing the dream.
    I heard the other day and believe it to be true that a Championship league club tried to loan a Premiership player who had not played a first team match and were told yes you can have him as long as you pay his wages of £45000 pw !!!
    Indeed mate and I too loved watching golf on the BBC particularly and I should have added that most of us would go somewhere for double or triple the wages. What I can't understand is all these top sportsmen and women have tens of millions in the bank already and they must know they will never ever spend a tenth of it and yet they seem to be still motivated by money apparently. I have no problem if they gave 50% of it to charity or even play for free to entertain the fans with their skills say.

ie I need to try and understand this mindset!

I agree with you there, Mike. It's one thing to have double or even treble the average working wage, especially in a career that is relatively short, but some of the figure one hears floating around are eye-watering. The whole idea that a Pre,ier League Footballer can receive in a week what the Alex deal with in annual turnover is obscene. As you say, when the figures get that big and you're earning in weekly interest more than our annual salary, I'm pretty sure that they don't know what to do with most of the money they have. I do understand that a lot of footballers come from backgrounds where having untold riches is a dream but when they achieve that dream what happens then. Of course, we have to remember that footballers are high profile and on the whole don't earn a lot in their lifetime compared to CEOs of failed companies that get paid huge bonuses.
    I also agree with outolunch when he blames Sky. I used to have quite an interest in cricket, but at the moment I don't even recognise most of the names of the current England team never mind Lancashire the team I passively followed.
    Anyway, the important thing is to remember that Alex players do not, generally, come into the category of high earners (when longevity of career is considered). However, we do get the odd individual who, either from a bloated sense of themselves or pure lack of intelligence (or both!!) emulates those further up the ladder.
    So, Mike, ignore the headlines and the Messi's and Ronaldo's and concentrate on the genuine players that we, mostly, have at the Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    I believe the player in question here 'may' have been Liam Delap (Citeh) who was effectively 'stolen' from Derby's Academy.

Hope Ben White's wages are a bit lower ...