+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New GK's needed!

New GK's needed!

Just watched the highlights of our match yesterday and sorry but that first goal to concede like that was about a easy as could be for any GK to intercept and yet he actually moved back on his line when it was easier to just catch the damn thing.

Never mind outfield players get some new ones in...

Just my opinion which may be unfair based on a few minutes but please don't tell me we have a GK coach even though that sort of cross is about as basic as you can ever get in a game of football. Its why we keep letting them in on set pieces. In the old days the GK was in charge of any ball within 10 yards of him..

I can sort of agree there, Mike. With the exception of very crowded goal areas, I cannot understand why our goalkeepers don't leave their line for crosses. In this case I believe it is the fault of the GK coach. That is not an argument against coaches, just this one!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I can sort of agree there, Mike. With the exception of very crowded goal areas, I cannot understand why our goalkeepers don't leave their line for crosses. In this case I believe it is the fault of the GK coach. That is not an argument against coaches, just this one!
    Yes, its my usual rant against coaching actually gazan whereby its possible and I don't know this but maybe he is told to stay on his line whereas its just natural for ANY 'normal' GK to come and get the ball whenever its near him and if that was laying out a couple of players as in the old days that was too bad. I also think our GK is too young and too small and the job description should be 6-2 at least, 14 stone and age 25 plus....and then let someone get in his way if they dare....Ah the old days are gone forever! .

ie coaching can be detrimental to natural ability and that will always be so...

You know the old saying well the ones that followed golf will know this...Garry Player one of the real world greats of Golf in his day alongside Palmer and Nicholas said the minute a coach could play golf better than him would be the day he would listen to one....

I have watched the same clip and only two players were running in to challenge for the ball which was in the 6 yard box. Will came stopped and the ball was in the net by there smallest player. If our keepers cannot control their 6 yard box, god help them . What is the keeper coach doing about this . I have spoken to ex keepers from our club and none have a good word for our current keepers coach. Opposition teams must know this is one of our weak points and will target him in future games . Just watch the highlights and tell me I am wrong.

The criticism from former goalkeepers is the basis of my argument that the problem is the current gk coach. Steve Phillips was quite adamant on the Railwaymen podcast that Will needed better.