+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Now We Know…

So Now We Know…

…who our soldiers are for the next four months. Is it enough? Where’s our weak spot? (Or spots). What tactical naivety do we hope WR will delete and what tactical improvement must he implement to ensure we survive and thrive? Who will our MVP be? Answers on a postcard please (or on here obvs)

Are we still able to obtain loanees or out of contract players?
    The team isn't very good, so good luck to Wayne, not excusing last season's almighty **** up, but it doesn't sit right being too angry with him this season.
    It's going to be a case of every point might keep us up, if not, relegated by Christmas!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Are we still able to obtain loanees or out of contract players?
    The team isn't very good, so good luck to Wayne, not excusing last season's almighty **** up, but it doesn't sit right being too angry with him this season.
    It's going to be a case of every point might keep us up, if not, relegated by Christmas!!!!
    I believe we can, Ramshank...but only if we offload to less than 23 players of ‘professional standing’ first.
    Bobby Duncan doesn’t count apparently if he goes, and the only other likely candidate might be Marshall...but then I think, and I may be wrong, we could only replace him with another GK.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I believe we can, Ramshank...but only if we offload to less than 23 players of ‘professional standing’ first.
    Bobby Duncan doesn’t count apparently if he goes, and the only other likely candidate might be Marshall...but then I think, and I may be wrong, we could only replace him with another GK.
    I thought the window was closed so we can’t offload now? I guess we could cancel his contract but that’s another £1mill down the sh*tter

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I thought the window was closed so we can’t offload now? I guess we could cancel his contract but that’s another £1mill down the sh*tter
    Like most EFL related things, it’s complicated...and I’m certainly not ‘entirely’ sure.

I believe that the loan window has closed. If the embargo gets lifted we could still sign free agents until the January window opens then we could also buy/loan players.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I believe that the loan window has closed. If the embargo gets lifted we could still sign free agents until the January window opens then we could also buy/loan players.
    Yes if the embargo is lifted we can only sign players who have no contract. I still cannot fathom why we signed another GK when the two we had were good enough and we could ahve got either another CH or ST on loan or on a free. Baffling decision in the short term.

My personal belief, based on the fact that we only need a couple of injuries, is that we are stuffed. I hope I'm proven wrong but once we face any team in the top half, we will get slaughtered.

A long hard season ahead, firmly in the bottom 3 by xmas with a 6pt deduction. Mel you have truly ****ed this club up!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Yes if the embargo is lifted we can only sign players who have no contract. I still cannot fathom why we signed another GK when the two we had were good enough and we could ahve got either another CH or ST on loan or on a free. Baffling decision in the short term.

My personal belief, based on the fact that we only need a couple of injuries, is that we are stuffed. I hope I'm proven wrong but once we face any team in the top half, we will get slaughtered.

A long hard season ahead, firmly in the bottom 3 by xmas with a 6pt deduction. Mel you have truly ****ed this club up!
    Just to make a balanced point
    in 1971 we won the English 1st division with more or less 13 players when men were men who played through the pain barrier and still won the league
    a big squad can cause problems of unhappiness and team spirit

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    in 1971 we won the English 1st division with more or less 13 players when men were men who played through the pain barrier and still won the league
    Yes thats true, but the game is much faster now, and takes more out of players plus most of our team wouldn't normally be in the first team as subs! If we had 23 or even 15 quality players I'd be inclined to agree, but our better players have already had injuries, or are recovering from injuries, our CB combined age is over 60! Can you really see them staying fit over the season?

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    I don’t think I’d ever set foot in Derby until autumn 1972 but if that’s true...that we won the ‘71-‘72 with just 13 players...it makes the achievement even more remarkable.
    Not sure about the ‘men were men’ comment though. I know what you mean, especially as regards tackling, but that’ll be the generation many of whom have struggled with life changing ‘mobility’ issues ever since...not to mention dementia.
    Funnily enough I was playing a lot of rugby back then and that sport seems to have gone the other way...cleaner and better head injury assessment now, but the collisions and impacts nowadays are brutal compared with 40-50 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)