+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary v England - Southgate should drop Raheem Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Agree with that. First half disappointing, second half we tore them apart.
    Kaney missed a hat-trick of chances you would expect him to score as well? Bear in mind, Hungary are no mugs either.

So presumably you (and laddo) think that players should be allowed to risk a red card if they want to send out a personal message?

Right or wrong?
    I get it that sometimes players take one 'for the Team' , although I don't really like it, taking one to get out a personal message is wrong.

So presumably you (and laddo) think that players should be allowed to risk a red card if they want to send out a personal message?

Right or wrong?
    There are so many examples of players who have done what you are protesting against. A couple that really stand out - Billy Sharps message in remembrance to his son - Jason Sancho ‘Justice for George Floyd’.
    Are they disgraceful? Should they be dropped? Are they selfish?

What are your thoughts on players taking the knee? Surely, players at the top can take knees in the back garden and send the picture/video via Twitter or Instagram?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    There are so many examples of players who have done what you are protesting against. A couple that really stand out - Billy Sharps message in remembrance to his son - Jason Sancho ‘Justice for George Floyd’.

What are your thoughts on players taking the knee? Surely, players at the top can take knees in the back garden and send the picture/video via Twitter or Instagram?
    Taking the knee does not get you a card.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Taking the knee does not get you a card.
    No but the players according to Elite have big enough profiles to send out messages away from football.

No but the players according to Elite have big enough profiles to send out messages away from football.
    They do, but Elite is talking about things that could risk losing a player. Pretty sure he will have no problem with them taking a knee if they want to.

Yes, although the "dropped" bit was my opinion. Maybe I should have put "Southgate should take action against Raheem Sterling".

My thoughts on players taking the knee are mixed. I respect the original cause 100%, even if it has become a bit muddied. I have no problem at all with players taking the knee in the back garden and send the picture/video via Twitter or Instagram, but I'm not sure it has a place at a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    They do, but Elite is talking about things that could risk losing a player. Pretty sure he will have no problem with them taking a knee if they want to.
    Ok. I’ll nibble some more. Elite started a thread about a player scoring a goal and showing off a personal message which got him a booking. I notice that neither you nor Elite have acknowledged a couple of examples of players using slogans on shirts that I provided. Elite has now.
    Just to provide further context about the risk of Stirling being sent off… how many times has he been sent off in his career? If you draw a circle that will resemble the number.
    Last edited by Notts78; 02-09-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Turns out it’s once. My bad.

The fact is that Stirlings actions were not disgraceful. Having monkey noises made or objects thrown is disgraceful.
    Monkey noises are more disgraceful, and even more disgraceful is the way UEFA have tackled it.

Just to provide further context about the risk of Stirling being sent off… how many times has he been sent off in his career? If you draw a circle that will resemble the number.
    Totally irrelevant. The question is 'Do you think it is acceptable for football players to remove their shirt to display a personal message knowing that it will result in them getting a yellow card'?

No cherry-picking of emotive examples, just a simple yes or no.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast