+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary v England - Southgate should drop Raheem Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I kind of get your argument tbf, I just struggle to care much. The rule is ridiculous and needs changing.
    Yep.

The rule was implemented to stop players showing off there abs and pecs. Giggs running the length of Old Trafford after scoring a wonder goal v Arsenal whilst swinging his shirt above his head is iconic. The rationale for the rule is to stop offence being caused.
    The irony in all this is that refs will book players as it’s the law for taking your shirt off. Yet we watch games week in, week out l, where players get away with blatant time wasting or a bad tackle and the letter of the law is ignored.
    Let’s be honest, what harm does taking a shirt off actually cause? What is the reasoning for the rule? Scoring a goal is euphoric, and I can only imagine how amplified that euphoria is at the levels Stirling plays and if he and all the players want to share that with someone they love, someone they have lost, there God, there pet or whatever then so what. The rule is ridiculous.

EP, on reflection I kind of agree with you BUT most bookings are stupid bookings.

Did anyone else see Grealish pretending to drink from a cup thrown at the players? Given the current climate, that is stupid.

A slight diversion, but can anyone remember the game we played at ML when Fitzimons kicked a player up the ar5e? I've been asked to do some stuff by Weymouth for their programme when we play there and Fitz is currently their keeper. Thought it might be worth including said event

I read Elite’s OP last night after a few pints, but didn’t add to the thread because I thought he was joking.

Now I think he must have been hacked by Pugwash or someone similar because out of all the people involved with last night, it’s certainly not Raheem Sterling who’s the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I kind of get your argument tbf, I just struggle to care much. The rule is ridiculous and needs changing.
    Is it though? It’s a slippery slope. What next, a player having a different sponsor under their shirt for some cash? Political opinion? Players doing it when they take a throw in? It’s clearly premeditated. Easiest way to resolve is a red card instead and not to publicise it. If no one shows it, it’s pointless anyway. What happened to football games being about playing football.

No other sport really has this issue. Why do certain footballers think they are special?

Heat of the moment stuff is absolutely fine. This isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Is it though? It’s a slippery slope. What next, a player having a different sponsor under their shirt for some cash? Political opinion? Players doing it when they take a throw in? It’s clearly premeditated. Easiest way to resolve is a red card instead and not to publicise it. If no one shows it, it’s pointless anyway. What happened to football games being about playing football.

No other sport really has this issue. Why do certain footballers think they are special?

Heat of the moment stuff is absolutely fine. This isn’t.
    Why does anyone care about any message a player might have under his shirt as long as it’s not inciting hate or violence?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    A slight diversion, but can anyone remember the game we played at ML when Fitzimons kicked a player up the ar5e? I've been asked to do some stuff by Weymouth for their programme when we play there and Fitz is currently their keeper. Thought it might be worth including said event
    Remember it. We were drawing with crawley and he booted their player, got sent off and the ref gave them a penalty. Think he got the ball following a corner and their player was getting in his way for the kick. Idiot. We lost 2-1 to the pen in 95th minute.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I read Elite’s OP last night after a few pints, but didn’t add to the thread because I thought he was joking.

Now I think he must have been hacked by Pugwash or someone similar because out of all the people involved with last night, it’s certainly not Raheem Sterling who’s the bad guy.
    There were certainly far worse things that went on last night but they are not relevant to this topic in the slightest, and we all know that UEFA / FIFA will give the usual tap on the wrist. Notts78 may or may not have a point about the rule being ridiculous, but it's a rule. I find it very disrespectful to his team mates that one player feels the need to openly flout that rule, knowing it will get him a yellow card.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Why does anyone care about any message a player might have under his shirt as long as it’s not inciting hate or violence?
    Who decides that? Do we have a panel after the game. Should it become the norm? Players taking their shirts off at every occasion for cash, to add to some backstory to give them some kind of credibility? Where does it end?

Players could take their shirt off at any point for say spot betting? Whilst most will be harmless some won’t.

Just don’t think it has its place chap. Like Elite says, in this day and age players have a lot better forums than during a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Yep.

The rule was implemented to stop players showing off there abs and pecs. Giggs running the length of Old Trafford after scoring a wonder goal v Arsenal whilst swinging his shirt above his head is iconic. The rationale for the rule is to stop offence being caused.
    The irony in all this is that refs will book players as it’s the law for taking your shirt off. Yet we watch games week in, week out l, where players get away with blatant time wasting or a bad tackle and the letter of the law is ignored.
    Let’s be honest, what harm does taking a shirt off actually cause? What is the reasoning for the rule? Scoring a goal is euphoric, and I can only imagine how amplified that euphoria is at the levels Stirling plays and if he and all the players want to share that with someone they love, someone they have lost, there God, there pet or whatever then so what. The rule is ridiculous.

EP, on reflection I kind of agree with you BUT most bookings are stupid bookings.

Did anyone else see Grealish pretending to drink from a cup thrown at the players? Given the current climate, that is stupid.
    You're drifting off topic now, the fred is about disrobing on a football field, not what else a ref should control.

I think the rule was implemented to prevent the escalation of what was shown underneath the shirt, flab or muscle wasn't the point, what was feared were political or religious messages or foul language. "Happy Birthday Mum" or "I'm a Father!" could be tolerated but "Thatcher Out!" or "F... Off I've Just Scored!" or "Jesus Lives" couldn't. To exaggerate the point, the shirt might also be torn off if somebody won a free-kick or a goalie saved a penalty.

The scheming of footballers is only matched by their sense of humour, can you imagine the whole team tearing their shirts off after winning a game? Each shirt saying "Champions!" underneath a picture of someone's arse.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 03-09-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Make it a red card offense, everyone then knows where they stand and you won't see it happen again, unless the player is a total numpty.

Same with the racist chants. Either we tolerate it or we don't. I'm sick to death of the debate. Either kick nations out of tournaments, close their stadiums or force them to play at neutral venues, or just shut up and get on with it. Just make a ***** decision and quit with the half hearted solutions and endless prattle.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast