+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mings as captain

No its a fair point, i just look back at historical Captains and look for other qualities.
    Dennis Mortimer
    Andy Townsend
    David Platt
    I'm certainly not knocking the big man because he comes out with mental issues, I think we all have but choose to hide them there are a couple of occassions where he could and should have been sent off but escaped. As for his political views, thats where I do not agree and thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    No its a fair point, i just look back at historical Captains and look for other qualities.
    Dennis Mortimer
    Andy Townsend
    David Platt
    I'm certainly not knocking the big man because he comes out with mental issues, I think we all have but choose to hide them there are a couple of occassions where he could and should have been sent off but escaped. As for his political views, thats where I do not agree and thats just my opinion.
    And long may you keep an opinion, squire, especially in a world that is becoming so desperately sterile and woke.

Life (and this board!) would be very dull if we all agreed on everything. Long reign freedom of speech and the expression of opinions!

Returning to Mings, I think he's a natural - as Exiled says - always the most vocal with directives on the pitch, and a thoroughly decent human being. Felt proud to read of him going out by himself every Christmas eve, handing out sleeping bags and gloves, hats etc to homeless people (no cameras), having never forgotten his stint in a refuge as a child. I think he's a fantastic ambassador. Like BB, and I think most of us, I loved him going home after the play offs still wearing his Villa kit!

As Exiled says, I question what the difference is between a physical injury and a mental one? We all get physical and mental knocks from time to time. I don't understand why people who battle a physical health issue are deemed strong, but those battling a mental health issue weak? Both take guts, strength and determination. It's not when our lives are going well that our inner strength is challenged. I find someone like Mings so much more relatable and human than someone who is seemingly made of Teflon. I imagine he'd be easier for a young player to approach, with any challenges they'd be experiencing too, than someone who appears to be made from stone. Footballers have many privileges but they are also exposed in a way most of us don't have to be - how many of us are booed at work?
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 05-09-2021 at 12:44 PM.

I am totally behind Mings as captain, he is a very intelligent and compassionate human being. I totally agree with his political opinions and he has stated them eloquently. But most of all he is a natural leader on the pitch, and that is kind of the point. I think it was a mistake to make Jack the captain, but I see why Dean did it. He was trying to engender the love that Jack claimed to have for the club, but had frequently belied.

We may not get booed at work MissWinnie but plenty of us get spoken to in a way that equally affects your state of mind, why do most people leave their jobs.....normally the Manager who micro-manages or who bullies, day in day out destroying your self confidence. Foitballers are no different but have an advantage when you consider the way of life and all its trappings! I lost my best mate this year to Mental illness, he had no one to turn too, no money, no job and his wife kicked him out.....i dont want this to turn into a witch hunt, you can blame bongo for that 🙄 I am happy with him being Captain for now. Anyway with him being vocal, is it him we hear or Deano or both? Ive always liked a Midfielder to be captain as of my 3 choices.

Very true Dave. I didn't mean to belittle other people's nightmare work experiences or their impact - I was just trying to make the point that footballers, despite on the surface, living glamorous lives, are not immune to abuse and have pressures that we don't have to experience either. Absolutely - they live lives world's apart from most of us, and as you quite rightly say, they are cushioned from the financial pressures that those who live in the real world have to contend with. I'm not sure they are able to properly escape though? Social media makes it very hard to escape from bullying, however high the walls of your mansion or castle are. Fitness for job discussed on internet must be tough, and humiliating at times, and racist rubbish stings whoever you are.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I remember you talking about him, and think about you both xx. I wish we were all more supportive to each other, and could rally round people going through a tough time better in society instead of casting judgement. That's why I think that it's positive that people who are looked up to, such as Mings, speak openly about their challenges. If someone hearing Mings then feels able to share what they are going through, without fear of being judged as weak, they may feel less alone, and hopefully people they choose to share with, will support in a way that may prevent further tragedies.

Bullying stinks.

You take care, Dave xx
    Last edited by MissWinnie; 05-09-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks MissWinnie appreciate every word you have said. Footballers must suffer a lot of anxiety and stress that we could not imagine but they get a lot of help from the PFA. I wonder if its a good thing for Tyrone to add to this by being Captain, I know that can take its toll.

Hi Dave.

I don't know about the inner workings of football but I was just thinking that although football players may have the advantage of help from the PFA, I'm guessing they still have to be brave enough to ask for that help in the first place - I think that seems to be harder for men than women, in many cases, as we women naturally tend to be "talkers", and not afraid of breaking down in tears in front of our female friends, so we generally have a better support system, where maybe men might find it harder, and therefore can be more vulnerable? Again why Mings talking about his own mental health challenges and how he deals with them is so important.

As for the toll of Captain, I guess only Mings answer that. I assume he wasn't forced to take on the role - and sometimes a situation or challenge that is tough for one person, another person thrives in, but that same person may not cope so well with something else. We are all good and not so good in different situations. Thank goodness we are all different Obviously I don't know Tyrone personally, but my impression is that he seems to thrive in an advocacy role - quite happy to take on Priti Patel, publicly stand up for El Ghazi, and so on. I imagine he'd be a really good go between player and Manager... Just my impression, of course.

Agreed but with Mings, Taking on the home secretary about BLM is taking it too far! This is where I think Bongo was coming from labelling him Woke! This I believe has nothing to do with mental illness infact he is showing how mentally string he actually is, to me its just politics and sport should stay out.
    Mings for me is a 100 percenter and I sympathise with his struggles and yes brave is he but I know now people with mental illness are looking for support and often reach out, my question is again not the man but being Captain, maybe im to military minded or just plain old fashioned! I would like someone to be supporting him and putting their arm around him.
    I do not pretend to know him but things like him still in his villa kit at the train station after Wembley makes hairs on my Neck stand up "what a guy" this is I suppose, life after Jack and I have always said he should not have been captain considering his chequered past.
    In closing, I would like Bingo to elaborate on his thread, i have tried to explain my thoughts and opinions and yes a bit mixed!

I will try Dave.

For example i agreed with that patel politician. Shes anti BLM that is a marxists organisation that shouldn't have a place in football. The co founder of BLM now has over 4m in properties. Not agreeing with BLM doesnt make you racist or agree with racism like we saw after the penalty shoot out. The fans that boo the knee were labled racist and ignorant by southgate and the media. This didn't sit right with me and i cant support Mings on this.
    I wish the woke movement would address things like planned parenthood that have aborted hundreds of thousands of black babys. But no this is not an issue to them.
    I dont agree with all this critical race theory that gets taught in schools. Its causing devide and is infact rasist. I personally dont think having a victim mentally helps anyone. Work hard and be nice you can do anything regardless of race.
    Everyone suffers mental health at some point. Life can be really shiit at times and im definitely sympathetic towards people who struggle mentally. However Mings comes out with this when its fashionable and get on the bandwagon of the Woke Olympic gymnastics team. Dont get me started on the US womens football team captain. Im glad subway banned her poster.
    Also that much loved US sprinter who is much loved and hyped for being a lesbian. Shes a foul mouthed brat that isnt actually that good.
    My ex had a go at me last month for saying man is a man and a woman is a woman regardless of what you identify as. Next thing we have a man competing in the female weighlifting. All this nonsense is confusing children. Its not surprising we have so many depressed kids now that are being brutally infuenced by social media.

Sorry Mings. You have my support as a player and captain if you continue to do a good job. However i dont support you views and you are a prime example that black people can be successful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)