+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mings as captain

Mings as captain

I get the decision to put him captain. Its the logical choice in a way. However Mings being mr woke and now admitting to mental health issues during the euros because of negative comments on social media. I do question how he can motivate the team if you have a weak mentality.

This photo speaks a 1000 words

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1121...2466277755322/

Good point Bongo and you also have to question his temper, he does lose it quite often! What you cannot question is his committment, he is A 100% guy and gives his all.
    Who else would you pick? Martynez, McGinn??
    I am happy for him to be captain, for now...

Kin-ell Bongo, are you just incredibly naive, or just plain ignorant?

Mental fitness, like physical fitness, is vulnerable to malfunction, both indiscriminately and most unexpectedly, to us all. Do we consider a person with a stiff shoulder to be weak? Then neither should we think it a weakness that someone is not quite feeling ‘tickety-boo’.

The same goes with broken bones and depression, both can be brought on by 100s of reasons. Depression, worryingly, can hit unannounced, especially a non-event, leaving someone just as unable to get out of bed.

More severe cases of vulnerable mental fitness are due to a chemical imbalance. Left undetected it can cause the destruction of lives. By following Mings’s lead, so much pain may be prevented.

Mings described his coping strategies as confiding in trusted colleagues and sometimes speaking to the Doc. What better leadership than to reassure people that ‘it’s ok, to not be ok’? If he encourages just one person to help themselves, then he is a hero.

Mings’s coping strategies enable him to be a rock for himself, and his teammates, both on and off the pitch.

Aye, aye, Captain.

P.s. Dave, that's bollox.

Let’s not forget those photos of Mings in his full Villa kit travelling home after the Playoff final, he bleeds Claret and Blue, he will be a great Captain and hopefully the one to finally lift a trophy once again🏆

Yes its good to have compassion for mental health issues and yes Mings will give 100%. Nothing against the bloke but it seems a coincidence that he came out with it at the same time the gymnast said it during the Olympics. Seems to me there is some sort of political agenda.

ExV which bit is Bllx??

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    ExV which bit is Bllx??
    This. "Good point Bongo and you also have to question his temper, he does lose it quite often!". To question someone's character based on his openness to discuss mental fitness, and to back the comment. That, to me, is bollox.

Lets be honest all of us through various stages of life shoveling crap have struggled with mental health and despite the appearance of accepting open discussion there are still many that see it as weakness. Admitting a struggle with mental health should be applauded but unfortunately with society driven by perfection, I fear we've made little real progress except at the surface level of correctness.

I think the question is, choice as Captain not as a man, you cannot have your captain losing it and getting sent off or involved in scuffles, leadership is whats required but as I said, I am happy for the moment for him to be Captain. Lets see how he turns out!

This temper that you keep coming back to. 2 career red cards in over 160 games for a professional CH? You’ll go a long way to find a calmer CH, who has to cover for so many.

Even ‘slab head’ Maguire has more, and he has far more protection and support than Mings. How many reds would Saint Ferdinand have had, relying on our DMs and awol fullbacks?

Leadership?? You must be kidding here Dave. We’ve just had 18 months of soulless stadia. All we can hear is Mings’s roaring voice, cajoling, encouraging, and supporting. Even the Internationals, all we can hear is Mings’s leadership.

No driving bans, photos in the gutter, Lockdown parties, and smashes. No incriminating hotel bedroom scenes littering the news feeds. Just boring auld Tyrone, supporting local kids training camps, occasionally highlighting Mental Fitness, and pulling the Home Secretary up on a few things.

Now, believe it or not, I’m not a huge fan of Mings, he’s solid enough, and the best left-sided defender at the Club. But what he adds with his leadership skills and all-around decency, makes him a very worthy Captain of Aston Villa Football Club, only my opinion of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)