+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Signing - Free Agent - as DA predicted

New Signing - Free Agent - as DA predicted

O/S: Crewe Alexandra are delighted to announce the signing of Spanish midfielder Madger Gomes on a two-year deal.

The 24-year-old arrives in South Cheshire after leaving fellow League One side Doncaster Rovers this summer.

Gomes, who is described as an energetic box-to-box midfielder spent most of his youth career with the Spanish side Villareal before spending three further years with Liverpool in England.

He was then snapped up by Leeds United in 2017 with Sochaux and NK Istra 1961 quickly following in the years after.

The Alicante-born man enjoyed his most successful spell in front of goal with Doncaster Rovers scoring four inside a month, which ended with the Spaniard receiving the Sky Bet League One Player of The Month award.

As Gazan said, almost like end of pre-season not the International break! Shame these lads didn't get one to bed in.

On the face of it, another decent signing that adds more goals, creativity and overall quality to our midfield and, at only 24 years of age, plenty of room for further development. He's also quite a strong, mobile lad as well, by all accounts

That does leave us a bit congested in midfield though as, by my count, that gives us Murphy, Lundstram, Griffiths, Lowery, Robertson, Ainley, Finney and now Gomes fighting for, at most, three starting places. Is this an indication that some are possibly going to go out on loan, to get more regular game time (Griffiths & Finney maybe), is the death Nell being rung for TL, a combination of the two maybe?

To add to the above, I would say our next priorities have to be a centre half and a striker. As we saw quite plainly in the Accrington game, Offord lacks the physicality to have long term future at centre half. I am a big fan of the lad, and firmly believe that, along with TL, he is the brightest prospect at the club, and could actually be our next Premiership export. However, I see this being as a holding midfielder, rather than a centre half. If we could bring in another Thomas-like centre half, with Daniels and BSD as back up, this would release Offord to play in front of the back four, where his ability to read the game and snuff out attacks before they get going will really come to the fore. As for needing another striker, as things stand we have Mandaron, Porter and Long. Porter's now to old to play too regularly, Ling's permanently injured, which leaves us with just Mandron. If there's a couple of freebies that fit that bill, I'd be ecstatic. Don't know how much more room DA and co have in the transfer/ wage budget though. Also a GK coach that can train our guys to come for crosses would be nice too.

Also a GK coach that can train our guys to come for crosses would be nice too.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just go and watch non league where you will see GK'S doing what comes naturally and come out to grab the ball at every opportunity. There really is no point in the GK staying on his line which deletes his extra arms length to grab the ball of an incoming player. It should give him 3 feet extra shouldn't it?

It rather makes my point that 'coaching' can be detrimental to a player.

Anyway if DA is watching his GK on match day he should be going spare at these basic errors and sacking any coach that promotes that stupid tactic. Just to add some inches and some weight to a GK is essential. ie don't bother coming to the interview if you don't meet the minimum spec...

Mike, I see you're continuing to ignore my comment that the coaching problem with our goalkeepers
    is not one of coaching per se, but one of a particular problem with this specific coach.
    Talking of watching non-league, I went to Altrincham against Dover at the weekend. An exciting game it was too.
    'Non-league' or not, the goalkeepers had no problem coming off their lines. However, the regime at Altrincham is headed by Phil Parkinson and Neil Sorvel with a decent group of coaches. In fact their style of play is a little like the Alex BUT with more pace.
    I believe you have to go a long way down the system to find uncoached footballers. I went to 10th tier Abbey Hey on
    BH Monday and according to their programme, they have 5 coaches AND a goalkeeper coach.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Mike, I see you're continuing to ignore my comment that the coaching problem with our goalkeepers
    is not one of coaching per se, but one of a particular problem with this specific coach.
    Talking of watching non-league, I went to Altrincham against Dover at the weekend. An exciting game it was too.
    'Non-league' or not, the goalkeepers had no problem coming off their lines. However, the regime at Altrincham is headed by Phil Parkinson and Neil Sorvel with a decent group of coaches. In fact their style of play is a little like the Alex BUT with more pace.
    I believe you have to go a long way down the system to find uncoached footballers. I went to 10th tier Abbey Hey on
    BH Monday and according to their programme, they have 5 coaches AND a goalkeeper coach.
    That IS ridiculous!

Hi mate,

No, I'm not ignoring your comment and you could be right but DA has been round the block a few times and he MUST know these errors are due to 'mis' coaching if that is the right word and yet they keep persisting by alllowing him to be employed by the Alex, he should be sacked like yesterday!..

But I'm old school re 'coaching' where natural ability is essential and football skills if that is the right word cannot be taught or coached into a player. Jimmy Greaves was against it and I give one classic example to prove a point. Rodney Jack was employed here as a 'coach' a few seasons ago and yet how many 'Rodney Jacks did we get as a result. Its a employees paradise when 'coaching' was brought into the game and you demonstrate that all too rightly with your example.

Now kids and others improve not by personal coaching but by playing in games and better competition and you could get rid of all the coaches at RH tomorrow and the kids and players would just play the game to enjoy it as they should. Coaches shouting instructions during a game destroys their confidence as they are being asked to play by numbers. Why are we so bad historically at throw ins and corners. They cannot seem to throw the ball 10 yards from the touchline and yet some players we see can throw it to the penalty spot. Why is that? Coaching or natural ability and strength. But I'm on a loser with this one as too many vested interests are involved and its all costs a bomb. I don't know why we need assistant managers but that's another subject. Bill Nicholson was the manager of the great Sixties double winning Spurs team and he was involved with everything the club did on and off the field and he signed players who were good enough just like all the clubs in each league did according to their budget. Players who were not good enough didn't and kids were recognised in the local leagues by scouts at the weekend and then they got a trial etc. There is no way in my book where you see how kids will develop mentally and physically over a ten year period and yet we spend tens of millions across the world in doing just that. OK lastly we won the world cup in 66 and never come close since. I wonder why? Coaches on seats leaving the clubs where they all get a bloody good wage is my solution. Our GK may be a revelation if they just let him be..

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    On the face of it, another decent signing that adds more goals, creativity and overall quality to our midfield and, at only 24 years of age, plenty of room for further development. He's also quite a strong, mobile lad as well, by all accounts

That does leave us a bit congested in midfield though as, by my count, that gives us Murphy, Lundstram, Griffiths, Lowery, Robertson, Ainley, Finney and now Gomes fighting for, at most, three starting places. Is this an indication that some are possibly going to go out on loan, to get more regular game time (Griffiths & Finney maybe), is the death Nell being rung for TL, a combination of the two maybe?

To add to the above, I would say our next priorities have to be a centre half and a striker. As we saw quite plainly in the Accrington game, Offord lacks the physicality to have long term future at centre half. I am a big fan of the lad, and firmly believe that, along with TL, he is the brightest prospect at the club, and could actually be our next Premiership export. However, I see this being as a holding midfielder, rather than a centre half. If we could bring in another Thomas-like centre half, with Daniels and BSD as back up, this would release Offord to play in front of the back four, where his ability to read the game and snuff out attacks before they get going will really come to the fore. As for needing another striker, as things stand we have Mandaron, Porter and Long. Porter's now to old to play too regularly, Ling's permanently injured, which leaves us with just Mandron. If there's a couple of freebies that fit that bill, I'd be ecstatic. Don't know how much more room DA and co have in the transfer/ wage budget though. Also a GK coach that can train our guys to come for crosses would be nice too.
    Striker - are you forgetting we just signed Kashket?

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Striker - are you forgetting we just signed Kashket?
    From what I understand, he's more of a wide attacker, more usually employed in those areas where Kirky and Dale played last season, rather than an out-and-out striker, and definitely not up front on his own in a 4-3-3.

But Mike, we have discussed this before. Since 1966, lots of countries have won the World Cup and I think you'll find nearly all of them had coaches.
    Plus, the point about coaches is that they don't replace natural talent, they improve it. It is most notable in those players who have less natural ability.

Perhaps we're looking at this the 'wrong way' ...

Good players don't necessarily make good managers or good coaches.
    Managers and coaches have a totally different skill-set to players (imo) ...

This isn't to say that players can not become good managers/coaches - just that being by a good player does not always mean they have the right attributes ...

If you take Mike's 1966 team, and look at the Charlton brothers. Bobby never made it as a manager, whereas Jack was 'one of the best' ...

Just as a footnote, the best naturally talented footballer that I saw play for the Alex (imo) was Stan Bowles - who incidentally went on to play alongside Rodney Marsh at QPR

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    From what I understand, he's more of a wide attacker, more usually employed in those areas where Kirky and Dale played last season, rather than an out-and-out striker, and definitely not up front on his own in a 4-3-3.
    Or playing off Mandron/Porter - I thought it was an extra striker you wanted not an alternative up front on his own!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast