Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
Or playing off Mandron/Porter - I thought it was an extra striker you wanted not an alternative up front on his own!
Strength in depth was more my point. DA predominantly plays a 4-3-3, with a lone target man up front. Whilst I agree that Kashket, Long and Onyeka can all operate as a second striker in 4-4-2, 3-5-2, etc. I would hesitate to say that any of those three has the attributes, either physical or off the ball movement, to operate as that lone target man. This puts a lot of pressure on Mandron, as he's the only striker we have at the moment who can consistently play this role at this level (Ports is good, but age is catching up with him). To use one of the other three mentioned strikers as the focal point in a 4-3-3 would require an alteration in how we play, as it would revolve around the off the ball movement of the striker to bring them into the game. Not saying that that would be a bad thing, playing that way, but we're struggling to p ok ay our normal way, let alone trying to vary our style. If DA is looking to alter his preferred formation we do have plenty of options.