+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In which universe..?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    A dreary, boring performance overall. Bamford had nothing to feed off. We were so slow in the build up it made it easy for Andorra to pack the defence. Very few crosses went into the box and really no- one in midfield to make an incisive pass to unlock them. Bellingham has skill and imagination but Henderson was the preferred choice coming out of the defence. He works hard, but has neither skill nor imagination. He plays 90% of passes either square of backwards, not seeing the runs that were being made by Lingard and Bamford. As for Tripps at left back, what a waste!

Poland will be the real test. If we play the same way, twenty passes to get past the halfway line, it will be dire. I am not sure about three lions. More like three sloths.

I really do not understand why Pope did not get a game. He is better than Pickford, except for the obsession to play out from the back. A high press nullifies that. Pope can play from the back and his kicking is accurate most times. Playing long to Bamford would have prevented Andorra getting 11 behind the ball.
    Brilliantly accurate appraisal Swissclaret, one of my best mates is a mad Evertonian and says he would happily send £10 million and Pickford in a taxi if the Toffees could have Pope.

Attachment 19884

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Brilliantly accurate appraisal Swissclaret, one of my best mates is a mad Evertonian and says he would happily send £10 million and Pickford in a taxi if the Toffees could have Pope.

Attachment 19884
    I can understand why. Pickford is so overrated. He reminds me of Gary Sprake, back in the day. Quite capable of throwing the ball in his own net and rushes of blood to the head. Pope is reliable and commands his area.

Pickford has played 38 full games for England, has 19 clean sheets and has conceded 29 goals and that is why he is England's keeper.
    Nick has only conceded 1 goal in 7 matches and nobody can argue against that record, however, his injury did him no favours at all and it appears that Gareth is reticent to give him more game time, although from what I have heard, last night would not have been much use in any case.

Sometimes a keeper is only as good as the ten guys in front of him.

I would imagine Nick wouldn't have minded missing that one. I could have been in goal and they wouldn't have scored. It was a joke game, I'd be embarrassed to pick up my cap if I'd been playing for England against that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I would imagine Nick wouldn't have minded missing that one. I could have been in goal and they wouldn't have scored. It was a joke game, I'd be embarrassed to pick up my cap if I'd been playing for England against that lot.
    I can't recall Johnstone ever touching the ball. I remember he ran out and hoofed one, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    With England we have a very good group of players carrying a very mediocre manager.
    They're doing a cracking job of it then - Southgate is currently the second most successful England manager of all time (putting aside Fat Sam's 100% win record)
    Fabio Capello is within striking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    They're doing a cracking job of it then - Southgate is currently the second most successful England manager of all time (putting aside Fat Sam's 100% win record)
    Fabio Capello is within striking distance.
    Fact wander

As in my post you can’t argue with what he’s achieved ( though it’s nothing in reality -,they’re not wins ).
    However as i said earlier I reckon Bt me you any of us could have done what we’ve done with the pool of above average players we have to choose from. ( golden generation springs to mind ).
    Interestingly I listened to talk sport only way to a job yesterday and Jamie o hara debated the non inclusion of mason Greenwood while Bamford started - he does have a point pace and a natural finisher is something we’ve lacked certainly a different option ( kane best finisher I’ve seen for some time ( exception of last weeks game) but is slow by comparison.

So question is why wasn’t Greenwood included and blooded for when the World Cup comes around , and will Bamford go to the World Cup in reality ?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    They are indeed, they would even have won the Euros for him if he hadn't chosen kids to do a man's job with the penalties. I wonder how many of them on the halfway line were thinking 'WTF' as that debacle unfolded ? Just as thousands in the stands and millions watching on TV were.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    So question is why wasn’t Greenwood included and blooded for when the World Cup comes around , and will Bamford go to the World Cup in reality ?
    There's been quite a bit of media pressure to give Bamford a game army, there's also been a few questions asked in the media about why Alexander-Arnold has been left out. Gareth likes to keep the media boys and girls onside, and Bamford gets a game against Andorra while AA is chucked into the midfield where he's a disaster. The media pressure may have led to those selections, or maybe not, who knows ?

But you can't blame the media for him continuing to select Trippier at left-back, where he spends more time facing and playing towards his own penalty area than he does the opposition's. That one seems to be his own bright idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)