+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boris & His Government

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Ketts is almost £140bn a year not enough to run a health service - that's £212 for every person in the UK, a fair number of whom will not see a health professional or use a service in a year? Perhaps better scrutiny of spending and the tendering/contract process might focus a few minds?
    It’s not just the day to day healthcare that us individuals use but the need for hospitals that are fit for purpose and also the equipment that goes in them. The technology that is now necessary in modern hospitals is hugely expensive to research and develop, therefore very expensive to buy. Add to that the speed that new treatments and medical machinery is being developed, plus research and costs of drugs, what you find is that money disappears at an ever increasing rate. The NHS will never be fully funded, it is like a black hole sucking in any sort of resource and cash within its gravitational pull. I wasn’t suggesting that the government is doing a great job, I’m sure that there are many things that could be done better but the inherent problems will remain. I’m all in favour of taxing the likes of Amazon and Google far more heavily, by the way, but even then, there are potential problems with that.

One of the big issues with politics, which I don't have an answer for is this. This Government, or a Labour Govt really only care about being elected into power for the next 4 years. That is their main concern, neither think long term ahead of that.

We really need to start thinking about the next generation and the generation after that, because the way its going we are going to saddle the young people of this country with massive debt without any proper means of getting out of it.

You have to ask yourself, how does this country generate money? And typically, its through exports. So the first thing I would do is rejoin the EU, who are by far and away our largest customer, to make it easier to trade with them.

What are we world leaders in? Probably pharmaceuticals and financial services, Brexit threatens both (another reason to rejoin). I would set up a publicly owned for-profit pharmaceutical company, to R&D new drugs, which could then be sold on at a profit to other countries. And use those profits to help fund the NHS. They could also source and manufacture drugs cheaper currently for the NHS right now.

What will be the next big growth market? Probably Green technology, solar power and electric vehicles. So I would scrap HS2, and reinvest that money into UK companies in this sector, with the aim of us being the global leader in Green technology in the coming decade or two. Again, more exports = a wealthier country.

All of the above though won't happen overnight and won't make this country better off in the next four years. So our leaders actually have to think about something other than themselves for the above to happen. Which makes it hugely unlikely.
    Last edited by WBA123; 08-09-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I agree Regis but who makes the decision as to what fake news is?

Our friend 123 would eradicate the Daily Mail for example but those are the actions of a true zealot.

What would you allow us to read and watch?
    Wrong. I would not eradicate the press I dislike. I would set up an impartial press regulator who would have the power to sanction any news outlet if their stories are false or unfairly reported. I'd like to see big bold font apologies on the front page if the story is incorrect or misleading.

I would also like to see a disclaimer on print media, such as Daily Mail, Mirror, Sun etc. to say their newspaper in the last calendar year wrote stories that were pro one particular party. It would be something like 'The Daily Mail wrote 92% positive stories about the Conservatives last year' or something similar.

And I would like all meetings between politicians and editors/owners of these media outlets to be minuted and made public by law. So that some politicians don't stand to gain from these misleading and false news stories.

Whether you like it or not, The Sun and The Daily Mail in particular have shaped our country for the last 40 years. They are the reason we have had majority conservative rule and why we voted for Brexit. They are cowboys and they need to be independently regulated, whilst still ensuring we have a free press.
    Last edited by WBA123; 08-09-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Wrong. I would not eradicate the press I dislike. I would set up an impartial press regulator who would have the power to sanction any news outlet if their stories are false or unfairly reported. I'd like to see big bold font apologies on the front page if the story is incorrect or misleading.

I would also like to see a disclaimer on print media, such as Daily Mail, Mirror, Sun etc. to say their newspaper in the last calendar year wrote stories that were pro one particular party. It would be something like 'The Daily Mail wrote 92% positive stories about the Conservatives last year' or something similar.

And I would like all meetings between politicians and editors/owners of these media outlets to be minuted and made public by law. So that some politicians don't stand to gain from these misleading and false news stories.

Whether you like it or not, The Sun and The Daily Mail in particular have shaped our country for the last 40 years. They are the reason we have had majority conservative rule and why we voted for Brexit. They are cowboys and they need to be independently regulated, whilst still ensuring we have a free press.

God - who reads the Sun? Probably many of those who visit tacky seaside resorts and footballers! As for Brexit - lets face it immigration promises and Farage pushed people over the line towards Brexit. Do those who had the romantic idea of immigrants being controlled realize that more illegal immigrants are crossing the channel now than prior to Brexit. What is Boris doing about this? Nothing!!!!

Exports are now much more expensive to the EU so our friends within the EU are now looking at purchasing the same goods from other countries other than the UK so trade has slumped for many companies, that's if they are still solvent!

Not many give a s hit for future generations and a lack of thought is going into processes or infrastructure. How many new builds are being thrown up without any thought for vehicle electric charging stations? I don't listen to young Greta but sadly much of what she says is correct!

There’s no such thing as “independent”......who regulates the regulator?

To your point about rejoining the Eu etc.

I have long stated on here that I believe that any mainstream opposition party needs to be “all in” onus rejoining the Eu not that this is my personal wish.

The problem with this is that Labour haven’t the balls to do this because they alienate what they are as their traditional voter......this is a mistake in my view.

The Tory Party have stolen those clothes and have morphed into something I never thought I’d see.

Starmer needs to be brave enough to take Labour down the Eu positive route and then suffer the wrath of the unions and Momentum and accept them breaking away.

I still see a marriage of this new version of Labour and the Lib Dem’s coming together in a new party as the only viable opposition.

Starmer isn’t brave enough though, it’ll take a more impressive and much younger leader to pull this off as I see it as a minimum of a 10-15 year haul even if they start this now.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    There’s no such thing as “independent”......who regulates the regulator?

To your point about rejoining the Eu etc.

I have long stated on here that I believe that any mainstream opposition party needs to be “all in” onus rejoining the Eu not that this is my personal wish.

The problem with this is that Labour haven’t the balls to do this because they alienate what they are as their traditional voter......this is a mistake in my view.

The Tory Party have stolen those clothes and have morphed into something I never thought I’d see.

Starmer needs to be brave enough to take Labour down the Eu positive route and then suffer the wrath of the unions and Momentum and accept them breaking away.

I still see a marriage of this new version of Labour and the Lib Dem’s coming together in a new party as the only viable opposition.

Starmer isn’t brave enough though, it’ll take a more impressive and much younger leader to pull this off as I see it as a minimum of a 10-15 year haul even if they start this now.
    You could say 'who regulates the regulator' for almost everything, it works in huge financial systems with the odd anomaly. It just has to be robust.

Otherwise, I agree with most of your other points - Blimey, I am shocked as you!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    God - who reads the Sun? Probably many of those who visit tacky seaside resorts and footballers! As for Brexit - lets face it immigration promises and Farage pushed people over the line towards Brexit. Do those who had the romantic idea of immigrants being controlled realize that more illegal immigrants are crossing the channel now than prior to Brexit. What is Boris doing about this? Nothing!!!!

Exports are now much more expensive to the EU so our friends within the EU are now looking at purchasing the same goods from other countries other than the UK so trade has slumped for many companies, that's if they are still solvent!

Not many give a s hit for future generations and a lack of thought is going into processes or infrastructure. How many new builds are being thrown up without any thought for vehicle electric charging stations? I don't listen to young Greta but sadly much of what she says is correct!
    Immigration definitely swayed the Brexit vote. Farage pounced on it, because he could see the Leave vote could win votes that way.

But, what I think we are learning right now and in the near future, is that we need immigrants. We need them for our NHS, which is heavily reliant on them, for our fruit pickers, hospitality, HGV drivers etc.

What Brexit will really do, is create a shortage of Europeans who come here to work these jobs. Europeans typically pay tax and benefit our society. Immigration from Non-EU countries will likely increase. Non-EU immigrants typically cost us more than EU immigrants, they will need to be pushed into plugging the gap left by the Europeans.

Immigration definitely swayed the Brexit vote. Farage pounced on it, because he could see the Leave vote could win votes that way.

But, what I think we are learning right now and in the near future, is that we need immigrants. We need them for our NHS, which is heavily reliant on them, for our fruit pickers, hospitality, HGV drivers etc.

What Brexit will really do, is create a shortage of Europeans who come here to work these jobs. Europeans typically pay tax and benefit our society. Immigration from Non-EU countries will likely increase. Non-EU immigrants typically cost us more than EU immigrants, they will need to be pushed into plugging the gap left by the Europeans.
    I completely totally with the need for immigration and that might surprise you.

I’ve been shocked at the number of cafes and restaurants in Tenby that are both advertising for multiple jobs available in each establishment and that are having to close for certain days due to lack of staff.

The actual truth is that we have too many work shy Brits not willing to do these jobs, same in social care.

I see no problem in allowing immigrants in on work visas and for these people to be allowed to earn citizen status.

My objection was always the “Uncle Tom Cobley and all” approach that allowed all of their family in as well under free movement.

I have no problem with a Polish “worker” who builds a life for themselves in the U.K.

I’m interested to know how many of our papers are foreign owned and why? What interest do they have for the UK and what business do they have here other than money. This could be the first step, in eliminating them. Isn’t the metro and Sun foreign owned?

You could argue the same for football clubs but it is money talks sadly.

On the football note, football clubs should not come under company rules like your typical company they should be given a different status. The fit and proper persons rule isn’t really good is it?

Back to non football, we are in a mess as a nation because we have too many selfish individuals, I could be one. If we all have this mentality where we just cate about number 1 we’ll never progress as a nation. As a G6 or G7 nation we should be doing far better and I doubt our GDP has ever improved over the past 10 years.

I know DM is registered in the Caribbean or maybe Bermuda. I think even The Guardian is registered in the Cayman Islands. They are all registered overseas, most probably to avoid paying tax.

A couple of other things I think we should do,

1. Use another independent body to review our tax system, so that everyone is paying what they should do, morally. I don't necessarily agree with wealth taxes, because we want our entrepreneurs to aspire to be successful and wealthy. They shouldn't be punished for it. We also don't want businesses to be hindered from expanding by tax restrictions. On the other hand, very wealthy individuals and businesses should be paying their fair share into the pot. Its a hard balancing act to find the line, and we should allow tax and economic professionals to make the call, certainly not people like some of our current MPs.

2. Talking of our current MPs, I would increase their salaries substantially. You read that correctly, increase their pay. £80k per year for an MP, and £150k per year for being PM is too low. We need talented people in Parliament, and right now we have complete imbeciles. Real talent in the country can earn much more than that in the city. I know some seriously smart people, who earn far more than MPs. And wouldn't dream of giving up their career for £80k per year. I think something has to change, because people like Ben Bradley, Zarah Sultanah, Daniel Kawyczynski, Richard Burgon and Priti Patel (those just off the top of my head) I wouldn't even employ if they came for a job interview at my company. These people actually have a say in running the country. Their level is probably mid-junior office level, they are far in over their head. To be truthful, the same goes for the PM.
    Last edited by WBA123; 08-09-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)