+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Motherwell v Dons

Our full backs are the only decent performers recently. Ramsay is now our main creative outlet and set piece taker which is a sad indictment of the bland, mediocre pish he plays with. It also means he is not always there to do his main job in defence which would appear to be covering for two not very good central defenders (one of which is a midfielder). Perhaps when Hedges comes back it will improve but even then he only had a real purple patch when playing with Wright and has not done a lot since ... been catching the Devlin bug to be fair. Maybe Kennedy will save the day (Is he still living?) or McGinn after his sitting on the bench exploits for his country.

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru1903 View Post
    Our full backs are the only decent performers recently. Ramsay is now our main creative outlet and set piece taker which is a sad indictment of the bland, mediocre pish he plays with. It also means he is not always there to do his main job in defence which would appear to be covering for two not very good central defenders (one of which is a midfielder). Perhaps when Hedges comes back it will improve but even then he only had a real purple patch when playing with Wright and has not done a lot since ... been catching the Devlin bug to be fair. Maybe Kennedy will save the day (Is he still living?) or McGinn after his sitting on the bench exploits for his country.
    The characteristics of the squad actually lend more to lining up with 3 at the back and let the two young loons get forward more and have less defensive responsibility

You could use McCrorie centrally as a sweeper/spare defender who can bring the ball out with Bates and Gallacher as the 2 stoppers, with Brown and Ferguson playing as the double pivot, and Watkins and Hedges playing slightly off Either Ramirez or JET

But i've heard Glass is an advocate of a back 4, fine, so am i, when the rest of the team is balanced, but is so obviouly isn't, and he's just trying to fit all the central midfielders in the team at once, harping on about possesion again today, as if you get bonus points for more ball retention and pointless slow passing around at the back, all SPL teams outwith the ugly sisters are the same, defensively compact and usually with a couple of quick wingers/forwards on the counter or for set pieces

Speaking as someone who didn’t have to sit through that today and hasn’t actually been to a Dons game since Rijeka, I’m going to stick with my original stance of waiting to see how we play towards the end of the season before making any criticism of Glass.

He needs time and a couple of transfer windows to coach a team into playing really well.

Bear in mind though that a fair bit of my “expectations “ are based on wishful thinking as opposed to actual experience.

Also worth remembering that I’m unlikely to be sitting, freezing to death, watching us play utter s’hite against Ross County or whoever in the depths of winter.

C’mon ye Reds

I'm with DD. Clearly things are not going brilliantly, but the scale of the change has been so big that I'm willing to hold back my judgement for a while. I do think that we're patently short of creativity. The sooner we get Hedges back the better, but the whole team can't rest on his shoulders. Come January if that's not where we invest then I'll start to pish my pants.

But for now, we're at least scoring goals (not today, obviously). And we're not playing brutal football. But I can't help but agree that it's not a very savvy approach given how teams are going to set up against us. Scott Brown, for one, ought to recognise that.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    I'm with DD. Clearly things are not going brilliantly, but the scale of the change has been so big that I'm willing to hold back my judgement for a while. I do think that we're patently short of creativity. The sooner we get Hedges back the better, but the whole team can't rest on his shoulders. Come January if that's not where we invest then I'll start to pish my pants.

But for now, we're at least scoring goals (not today, obviously). And we're not playing brutal football. But I can't help but agree that it's not a very savvy approach given how teams are going to set up against us. Scott Brown, for one, ought to recognise that.
    The problem with relying on Hedges is (a) he is injury prone and (b) he is "keeping his options open" about a new contract according to Glass - we have all seen that movie before so he is gone either in January for a nominal fee or next Summer for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    The problem with relying on Hedges is (a) he is injury prone and (b) he is "keeping his options open" about a new contract according to Glass - we have all seen that movie before so he is gone either in January for a nominal fee or next Summer for nothing
    Even if he was super duper, it's way too risky to rely on him. I don't think that's what Glass is doing but as a club, we are.

Watching us play is like watching someone playing FIFA. Pass pass Pass run run pass pass but ultimately no end product. It must be a coaches wet dream looking at all the bonnie triangles but it's a nightmare for supporters to watch. What happened to the high press? Winning the ball high up the park. I don't think any of our forwards clattered into their full backs or centre backs all game. Meanwhile our fullbacks were getting clattered. No mixing up of play everything in front of them. What happened to the ball over the top, chancing the second ball etc. It just looks like we are forgetting to do the hard part of the game and just doing the pretty stuff. Finally, we are so naive at times too. With a bit of thought we could have easily have got at least one of their players sent off.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Speaking as someone who didn’t have to sit through that today and hasn’t actually been to a Dons game since Rijeka, I’m going to stick with my original stance of waiting to see how we play towards the end of the season before making any criticism of Glass.

He needs time and a couple of transfer windows to coach a team into playing really well.

Bear in mind though that a fair bit of my “expectations “ are based on wishful thinking as opposed to actual experience.

Also worth remembering that I’m unlikely to be sitting, freezing to death, watching us play utter s’hite against Ross County or whoever in the depths of winter.

C’mon ye Reds
    Glass is never going to get a couple of transfer windows to sort it out.

Cormack strikes me as a chairman who is going to hire and fire a lot of managers in his time with us.

Possibly

But Glass will get at least this season and probably until next Xmas.

I think he’ll get a lot longer than that. ( wishful thinking again)

The worrying thing on a personal level is that I’m beginning to accept such defeats as the norm.

Whilst I may rant, rave, eff and blind and destroy domestic accoutrements during Red TV commentary à la Golden Gordon out of Ripping Yarns, an hour after the final whistle I find that the ire, anger, frustration, and hate-fuelled antipathy towards the ****ing ****s who have booted us from arsehole to breakfast-time, aided and abetted by some weedgie lackey refereee, have generally subsided to “ach weel” and stoic acceptance that we’re not good enough, tough enough, or streetwise enough to compete and win.

Forty years ago, such insipid capitulation would have ruined my weekend. I suspect that the hired hands of ‘the group’ on the pitch and in the technical area don’t realise what it means to we fans.

I never imagined that I’d get to the stage of believing that ‘if they don’t care, why should I?’ I’m ****ing close to it right now.

COYR like.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast