+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US open women's Final on channel 4

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You've just seen tonight the start of one of the GREAT tennis rivalries .

These two are going to be butting heads for the next 10 years .

This is Bjorg v McEnroe territory if you will .

Fernandez is going to come back and I've massive respect for the lass , she's a real gutsy and tough lass .

This is what the women's game has needed for as long as I can remember .

Our Emma and Fernandez are on another planet to the rest of the women's game .

I've never seen two women as good in my life .

Never mind 18 and 19 years old and one a qualifier these two are the best two in the women's game .

Lets hope they maintain their standards and professionalism and steer clear of injury. I ent been a fan of women's tennis over the last 2 decades it has to be said. However, seeing that tonight with some of the rallies and shot making on display, I was transfixed at times. Superb stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Lets hope they maintain their standards and professionalism and steer clear of injury. I ent been a fan of women's tennis over the last 2 decades it has to be said. However, seeing that tonight with some of the rallies and shot making on display, I was transfixed at times. Superb stuff.
    I'm a massive tennis fan as tha knows Pass but I've never really got on with the women's game .

Too much grunting too many egos who weren't as good as the money they thought they were entitled to .

Those two tonight were on another level to what's gone before them .

Well done Emma, splendid performance and well deserved from what I saw. That young Canadian can play a bit as well.

Im not a tennis fan cant stand listening to the usual grunting (like theyre getting one from Ron Jeremy) so I hppe that Emma doesnt pick up on that trait. She did a bit tonight but not like the Williams sisters.

So glad you pointed out the channel 4 coverage Animal. I'm not particularly a tennis fan but that was not to be missed tonight. I think the pair of them came into the net about 3 times; and just hit winners from the baseline most of the time. A few tense moments but the best player won. Hopefully both will have a great future. What a spectacle.

I can’t remember me ever being that nervous watching a tennis match and result could have gone either way, even a 5-2 up it wasn’t a given that she couldn’t be caught it was that evenly matched.
    One thing that these two ****agers proved is that you don’t need to be muscle bound to play a power game. The strength it must take to play so many hard shots from the baseline is credit to both players.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggydo View Post
    I can’t remember me ever being that nervous watching a tennis match and result could have gone either way, even a 5-2 up it wasn’t a given that she couldn’t be caught it was that evenly matched.
    One thing that these two ****agers proved is that you don’t need to be muscle bound to play a power game. The strength it must take to play so many hard shots from the baseline is credit to both players.
    Definitely a closer match than what's been reported for sure .

The difference in my opinion was that Emma always looked like she could break the Fernandez serve at any point during the match .

That put the young Canadian under severe pressure every time she'd the ball in her hand .

There's much reported about how cool Emma was in handling the occasion but she was definitely feeling the heat as she tried to close the match out on serve which is perfectly understandable , they'd be summat wrong if she wasn't .

When she fell over and cut her knee and had to take a medical timeout at 30-40 it was a real break for her in my opinion and she was able to reset and finally close it out .

The ace to win it was just what she needed and she saved her very best serve for the biggest point of her life .

Behind that personality , charm , grace and infectious smile there's a driven and fierce competitor .

Emma looks to be able to handle what's bound to come her way after such a phenomenal achievement , things many young tennis sensations such as Capriati and one or two more couldn't .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12