+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawley post match

Crawley post match

I posted this on the other thread

Match report https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/mat...-on-11-sep-21/

It will be interesting to read the player ratings. From listening I would guess that Alessandra, Guy, Armer, Dickenson and Abrahams will not come out of it well. Plus comments on initial team selection, but Beech changed it around fairly early on and I thought we would sneak a win.

Where do expect to finish this season?

Would mid table obscurity be accepted at the end of the season?

If you could get promoted or relegated on the flip of a coin would you take the gamble?

How long have you spent in league two?

I'm happy if we finish in top ten with sniff of play offs while playing entertaining football.

No coins.

Too long

Chalky. Apparently we’re still looking at the right out-of-contract players and if we don’t find some strength in depth we’ll struggle once the injuries and suspensions turn up. But our manager needs to up his game. If he plays a target man he doesn’t get service; if he sets up for a passing game we hoof it. So, we need a change in our approach and some competition for places. Put things right now and I could vaguely imagine a play-off challenge. Get it wrong and we’re bound for 12th to 16th. The supporters wouldn’t accept that but the Board would. I can’t see anyone taking that coin-flip gamble mate, even though we are approaching being the Club that’s spent the longest in tier four. I remember Moorlad talking about “League 4 Rochdale” because of their long stay in the Division but we’re getting up there with them now. I don’t know how many years but it’s a long time.

I don't think you will see Carlisle in the championship because the leap from league one is just to great but relegation is very easy to slip into (look at Notts) and maybe taking Rochdales league two title wouldn't be such a bad thing

Apologies for being so tardy.

Had a few messages to run this morning and best to get them done before lunchtime.

It's typical really, after the half hour last Saturday where Beech finally got things right tactically, this week it's back to the same old faces. Our best players on the bench, the ineffective long ball game, vacant defending, dismal football of the worst degree.

Even when we put our best players on the pitch and get back into game, we still aren't professional enough to see the game out for a point. Promotion looks a million miles away while Comedy Chris is ringmaster of the circus and our first team is this much of a shambles. The concept of "learning from your mistakes" looks as far away from Comedy Chris' vocabulary as describing trigonometry in Mandarin.

Norma - 2 - Doesn't command his box well enough and really struggles with any shot placed to his right. So far he has not looked league standard. Why isn't Jensen being given an opportunity - we might actually save a few shots from distance.

Mellor - 4 - Some great defending but completely AWOL for the first goal.

Whelan - 1 - He's been told to hoof it and the reluctance to pass the ball makes him look half the player. Struggled though the afternoon and was also guilty of evaporating for the first goal.

McDonald - 1 - Turning circle of the Titanic, back to the same pace he was last season. Hoofed it forward lots.

Armer - 1 - Lucky to stay on the pitch for the tackle which led to his booking. His attitude was stinking today and he was positionally random, I wonder if anything off the pitch has made him grumpy?

Guy - 1 - Guy's role in the team is to waste free-kicks and corners, chase after the referee crying like a baby, lose possession of the ball in excruciating fashion in the middle of the park and commit pointless petty fouls. He should be the fulcrum of our team, but with this garbage in the engine room it's no wonder we're struggling to play any football.

Riley - 3 - Trying to play football but with precious little help it's a struggle for him.

Mellish - 2 - Great finish for his goal, but sitting on a sofa having a nice cup of tea, resting on his heels while the man he should've been picking up smashed home the winner. Loads of pointless running, and to be far he did win a few headers and tackles but overall, pretty poor.

Dickenson - 0 - Firmly proving last week's performance was the exception rather than the rule. At least Mellish is involved but I can't think what Dickenson's excuse is. Shameful effort.

Alessandra - 2 - Barely involved, got more into the game when the substitutes came on.

Abrahams - 0 - Didn't look bothered. Obviously we're not playing to his strengths but to throw in the towel is inexcusable. Sulking like a little child.

Subs

Young - 6 - Tireless running, looked more likely to score (almost immediately) when he came on, shame we provided him with so little service. Needs to start.

Gibson - 6 - Brilliant piece of play to put the goal on the plate for Mellish. Not everything he tried came off, but a lot more of it did than any player who was in the starting XI. Needs to start.

Clough - 6 - Suddenly we had a footballer on the pitch who could pass the ball to blue shirts. It was like hearing angels sing when the clouds parted. Needs to start.
    Last edited by Piglet_Phoenix; 11-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Spot on Piglet.

Post substitutions we finally started to look like a team.

Having said that I thought Whelan was at least worth a 2.

I can't give him the extra mark due to the huge gap and massive amount of space Nicholls had for the first goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)