+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Come on Emma!

jackal2, PM sent.

It's interesting How you view these things depending on which way you voted. We all see and read and believe what we want to.
    But I haven't come across any one who have changed their minds either way no matter what the argument is.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So ... is she 'Our Emma' and does it matter anyway? What a mish-mash - born in Canada of Chinese and Romanian parentage.
    In my book, that makes this talented lady a shining example of multiculture, a concept that has been roundly condemned on this site for many years.
    All that matters is that she is a wonderful un spoiled talent and long may she stay that way, although I see a number of obstacles awaiting her.
    'Nationalism is the last refuge of a scoundrel' (Ben Johnson?)
    Thank goodness they didn't play the national anthem on the night.
    Ben Johnson, the Jamaican/Canadian Olympic cheat?

Yup.The one who cheated with the aid of an Alchemist.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    Yup.The one who cheated with the aid of an Alchemist.
    Turning gold into lead, not really a get rich quick scheme!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Turning gold into lead, not really a get rich quick scheme!
    Indeed - a Korea-ending move as it proved.Seoul destroying for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Good summary, and where she goes from here will be very interesting to watch. She has the world at her feet, but the problem could be that it's not only in a tennis sense. I really hope her future isn't sidetracked by commercial interests, because she can earn more than enough by concentrating on her real career. I think the women's game is at the changeover stage, and she seems to possess every quality required to be at the forefront of the next generation.
    So where did it all go wrong? A potential world number one now struggles to make the third round at any major tournament. Was she a one-hit wonder who won a very weak tournament last year, or has she lost her focus?

She's still young enough to get back on track, but for me it would be a pleasant surprise if she did.

So where did it all go wrong? A potential world number one now struggles to make the third round at any major tournament. Was she a one-hit wonder who won a very weak tournament last year, or has she lost her focus?
    She's still young enough to get back on track, but for me it would be a pleasant surprise if she did.
    Distracted by fashionable sponsors, sacking four coaches in a year, not listening to experience and then saying you are going to coach yourself, it’s all going to end in tears. The interesting thing is how the British girls in the same age group are starting to develop and getting good results.

This has been coming for a while. She's clearly talented and had a fortunate run when she won the US Open (didn't that happen to one of our local football teams - twice?).

Apart probably from the burden of expectation, and ranking, that win has put on her as I see it she is just not tough. Injury prone and to be at the stage she now is to regularly have blisters on her hands has to be a concern. Add to that her inability to stick to one coach (and inconsistent coaching may have a part to play in the above issues), and we might just be seeing another Tracy Austin.

Maybe we could start a Jack Draper thread, or does he have to win a major first?

Seriously the 20 year old is in fantastic form of late in the run up to this major. This includes beating the 6th seed and last year's semi finalist already in the US open. In action right now for anyone bored.

As for Emma, she's had a very interesting and far from ideal 12 months without doubt since her epic grand slam win last year, she's made some very questionable decisions albeit in an unavoidable difficult period. Lots happening behind the scenes.

But she's only 19 years old, a year before she won a Grand Slam, the first British woman since 1977 don't forget, the British public didn't know who she was, and within a year of her winning the big one, the same British public are writing her off saying she won't win another.

Whether she does or doesn't her achievement this time last year was one of the very best sporting achievements by a British individual. Possibly the most impressive IMO, and won't be forgotten.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast