+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference in the two teams ……..

Difference in the two teams ……..

…….. Bournemouth were ready for the start of the season.
    Barnsley weren’t ….. and still arn’t.

Bournemouth have changed their manager but haven’t changed their style of play.
    There’s a continuity there.

The genius of Ismael is that he makes things SIMPLE.
    How many times did you hear him say something on the lines of …….. ‘my guys know exactly what to do’.
    Ismael saw what he’d got and moulded the side into an effective unit.
    That’s no detriment to Barnsley players because he’s done exactly the same at West Brom with players that have just come out of the Premier.

Marcus has been appointed and a couple of important things have happened at the beginning of the season that’s upset the team.

1) The transfer window has brought in a few players to make the team stronger - but those players have yet to feature.
    Only Benson has played regularly but was dropped because Marcus says he hasn’t trained.
    When asked - no reason was given why he hadn’t trained.

2) The style of football that was DRILLED into the players last season to make it a SUCCESSFUL season has been abandoned.
    There are two parts to this.
    Firstly the style of play cannot be attempted this season because the pivotal point of the attack is no longer there - that is to say we can’t hit the strikers early because Dike and Morris are not in the team.
    And neither is Obbi - who I assume was Dikes replacement.
    The club has made a massive mistake not filling that position when they knew Morris would be out and it was likely to take Obbi time to get up to speed.

Secondly - keeping in mind that we haven’t a target striker available - but why has the general style of play been altered???
    Listening to Marcus last Thursday in his Radio Sheffield interview he again repeated that the players have to change to a more passing style.
    Why is this?
    Although vertical football is not every supporters cup of tea - it was highly successful.
    So why change the general style of play?

I’m guessing here - but I wouldn’t be surprised if that instruction to change hasn’t come from the directors.
    It’s important that these young talented players are able to show off their skills - because when they do then they become more valuable when time comes to sell them.
    The future of the club is built on moving players on and investing back into the club.
    Vertical football restricts those players showing what they can do.

So at the moment things are up in the air at Barnsley.
    And I think things will get worse before they get better - but they will get better if Marcus is able to mould them into a team - because on paper this squad is stronger than last season.
    But in the meantime - no surprise that we lost 3-0 to a side that has maintained a modicum of continuity.

Just out of interest Nudge , had Val stayed what would have been your expectations for this season ? .

What I have yet to grasp is the owners have repeatedly boasted that the beauty of the present coach recruitment model is "continuity". Whoever is appointed the owners claim the style doesn't change and the new coach fits seamlessly in.

I understand Ismael, Murray, Mowatt, Dike, Sollbauer, Chaplin etc were all desperate to give it another go at Barnsley this season and maintain a continuity of personnel but it surely would have little effect if, for reasons best known to themselves, they decided to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Just out of interest Nudge , had Val stayed what would have been your expectations for this season ? .
    Although IMO they should have signed another target striker - but if Ismael had stayed - on top of the excellent summer signings - then it’s got to be top 3 maybe top 2.

But even Ismael would be struggling right now because the pivotal position at the front is missing.
    Players like Palmer, Styles and Brittain are looking for someone to target - but there’s no one there.
    The only option open to them is to pass through the channels hoping the speed of Oduor or Frieser will latch onto the ball.
    Passing forward to Woodrow is unfortunately a waste as he’s neither got the speed to go passed a player or the strength to shield the ball away from a decent centre back.

Once all the players are back and up to speed - and if Marcus is able to form a team - then we should be able to beat anyone in this league including Bournemouth.
    We just played Bournemouth at the wrong time.

But currently - when we play the better teams I’m not expecting much change in the results until that pivotal position is filled.
    Fingers crossed Obbi is fit soon - and importantly he is able to fulfil that roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Although IMO they should have signed another target striker - but if Ismael had stayed - on top of the excellent summer signings - then it’s got to be top 3 maybe top 2.

But even Ismael would be struggling right now because the pivotal position at the front is missing.
    Players like Palmer, Styles and Brittain are looking for someone to target - but there’s no one there.
    The only option open to them is to pass through the channels hoping the speed of Oduor or Frieser will latch onto the ball.
    Passing forward to Woodrow is unfortunately a waste as he’s neither got the speed to go passed a player or the strength to shield the ball away from a decent centre back.

Once all the players are back and up to speed - and if Marcus is able to form a team - then we should be able to beat anyone in this league including Bournemouth.
    We just played Bournemouth at the wrong time.

But currently - when we play the better teams I’m not expecting much change in the results until that pivotal position is filled.
    Fingers crossed Obbi is fit soon - and importantly he is able to fulfil that roll.
    Unrealistic Nudge in my opinion your expectations .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Unrealistic Nudge in my opinion your expectations .
    Which bit?
    Keeping in mind we finished 5th last season with basically the same team.
    And have since added real quality to the squad.
    Only question mark in the recruitment being - is Obbi as good as Dike?

Which bit?
    Obbi Oulare has only played 71 games in the last six seasons scoring 12 goals.

A good proportion of his career has been spent injured/ unfit.

Alarm bells are ringing for me now he has developed a back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Obbi Oulare has only played 71 games in the last six seasons scoring 12 goals.

A good proportion of his career has been spent injured/ unfit.

Alarm bells are ringing for me now he has developed a back injury.
    If Obbi can’t fill the boots of Dike then most of the season can be written off.
    As I’ve said - the squad is stronger this season In nearly every position - but if it’s weaker in the target striker position then the options of forward play is greatly limited.
    If last season we had played without a target striker and had the same success then I can understand the luke warm attitude of the directors to that position.
    But that’s not the case - all last seasons success was built on hitting one, sometimes two, target strikers early.
    If there has been a conscious decision to move away from this option then we are very likely to struggle.
    If that happens…… then the directors have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

But that’s not the case - all last seasons success was built on hitting one, sometimes two, target strikers early.
    Balls were not aimed forward at a particular player Nudge. The aerial hoof was chased down by the nearest muscle bound player to where it came down from the sky. The five sub rule was essential to it working as the heavy players had blown themselves out by 60 mins.

Which bit?
    The bit that says we've one of the smallest budgets in the league and only ever played one season in the top flight in our 134 year history .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast