+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Elliott

Harvey Elliott

For me this was another nail in the coffin for Football.

Its a contact sport, but the powers that be are destroying one of the main factors of the game.

It was a fair tackle on Harvey Elliott but Pascal Struijk was sent off, I'm sure if Elliott would not have been injured nothing would have been given.

Minutes later another Leeds player tackled another Liverpool player in exactly the same manner and won the ball just like Struijk did, but nothing was done, its pathetic.

Klopp is an adopted scouser and I would'nt be surprised if he made a crisis out of it as usual.

Its disgraceful what Football is turning into.

alto --I couldn't agree more! It was an unfortunate incident and I hope that Harvey Elliott recovers and continues to make progress in the game. Struijk and Elliott were both challenging for the ball and the referee did not see anything wrong and allowed play to continue. It was only when the Liverpool physios went on to the pitch wihtou authority that he stopped play.
    Whether or not the 4th official (Andy Madley) became involved in the discussion is open to question, however, someone must have had the input for the ref to issue the red card. It looks to me as though it is a case of the extent of the injury being determined as to whether or not a tackle is fair ------you can't work that way, however, football at the top level is going further and further down that path. Very sad indeed!

Nothing wrong whatsoever with the er tackle,a case of the refs looking after the top 6 clubs again.

He shouldn't have been sent off but the criticism should be about the quality of refereeing.
    Refs should focus on what happened rather than the (in this case unfortunate) outcome.
    Last Monday we had a stonewall pen refused in the 93rd minute when the score was 0 - 0 and the pundits said they understood why the ref didn't give it "because it was so late in the game" - as if that's got anything to do with making the right decision.
    Folk complain about VAR but at least it gives bad refs more information/less to hide behind and as in the case of the Leeds Liverpool game, teams should be given say 3 chances to question the decision as they are in e.g. cricket. IMO

I honestly thought Struijk had done a Verstappen and took Elliot out of the game.

I could not understand why a yellow card was not issued, but to issue a retrospective red and send Struijk off was bonkers.

Once again, the decision raises the question as to what is the point of VAR?

But doesn’t this injury all of a sudden “prove” Klopp right in his criticism of late?? I didn’t see the game only highlights and I haven’t seen the tackle again. I didn’t think the tackle was that bad when I saw it, but wasn’t it from behind and wasn’t there a trailing leg? And can’t VAR have been the one who said it was a red card? And the ref always writes a report after every game... is that not open for everyone to read?

Quote Originally Posted by WillPark View Post
    But doesn’t this injury all of a sudden “prove” Klopp right in his criticism of late?? I didn’t see the game only highlights and I haven’t seen the tackle again. I didn’t think the tackle was that bad when I saw it, but wasn’t it from behind and wasn’t there a trailing leg? And can’t VAR have been the one who said it was a red card? And the ref always writes a report after every game... is that not open for everyone to read?
    Posted this before Will and it’s only my opinion but I think Var is good for offsides only.

And I’d rather we kept all other decisions with the referee , however if they came out after a game and explained anything that could be shall we say controversial and how they saw it and why they gave it etc etc I think most fans would be happy.

After all the refs get paid a very good salary nowadays and in truth every employee in every job would be answerable on matters that required looking at.

Injuries are part of the game.He will be back playing in no time.He wont lose any wages and Liverpool have a big squad so it wont affect them either.Get over it and on to the next game.Red card should never have been given.Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    Injuries are part of the game.He will be back playing in no time.He wont lose any wages and Liverpool have a big squad so it wont affect them either.Get over it and on to the next game.Red card should never have been given.Pathetic.
    I found it bizarre to say the least CiB. I'm not at all fond of these retrospective decisions/punishments. Football is all about the "heat of the moment" and I feel we should let the referees interpret what they see (or miss) at the exact point of impact on man or ball.

The match referee let play go on without a caution and although I thought that was a wrong decision (what's new?), the fourth official intervened and the player got sent off.

I'm not at all sure I like where the beautiful game is going.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

I'm not at all sure I like where the beautiful game is going.
    What is not to like BT? It is being beautifully packaged on Sky as their political football, huge salaries and agents fees and all that in the name of equality. Just take a knee and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)