+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy - Hope he gets the help he needs

Bellamy - Hope he gets the help he needs

Former Wales and Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy has left his role as Anderlecht assistant manager to deal with depression.

The 42-year-old spoke about his mental health in 2020 and said he had had the condition since his playing days.

In a statement Anderlecht said Bellamy's mental health problems "have resurfaced again recently".

They added he "took a very difficult, but absolutely necessary decision concerning his health" to leave.

Anderlecht added: "Bellamy said goodbye to the players in the dressing room on Sunday afternoon after the 7-2 victory against KV Mechelen."

He joined Anderlecht as the club's under-21 coach in 2019 and moved to being an assistant to former Manchester City team-mate Vincent Kompany earlier this year.

Anderlecht added: "His experience as a striker in the Premier League and his drive took our young squad to a higher level.

"Both coach Vincent Kompany and director of sports Peter Verbeke want to thank Bellamy explicitly for his efforts and show great understanding for Bellamy's brave decision."

Verbeke said: "The enormous energy Craig has given us all is priceless. It is therefore logical that we must give him all the time and rest he needs. The whole club stands firmly behind him in this difficult period."

Bellamy revealed in May 2020 that he had been diagnosed with depression and been taking medication for three years, adding that injuries had made his condition worse.

"During my career my depression was worse, way worse, the emotional side… I'd come home and wouldn't speak for three days," he said in an interview with Sky Sports.

"I had a wife, young family and I literally wouldn't talk. I would shut myself away in a room and then I would go to bed on my own. That was the only way I could deal with depression."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...24GfKA0HGo0Ae4

That's sad for him and it looks as if he's been keeping a lot of it to himself for a long time. That would only compound his suffering if he has no one to share his problems with.

I had depression when i was younger (not caused by supporting the Toon!) so can sort of understand what he's going through

Hopefully in time his condition will improve

I think generally men are finding it easier to talk about things like this than in the past. If most men were honest they would admit to feeling fragile and vulnerable from time to time...that's just human

But yeh...hope he's feeling better soon

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    I had depression when i was younger (not caused by supporting the Toon!) so can sort of understand what he's going through

Hopefully in time his condition will improve

I think generally men are finding it easier to talk about things like this than in the past. If most men were honest they would admit to feeling fragile and vulnerable from time to time...that's just human

But yeh...hope he's feeling better soon
    Yes depression to some degree or another is very common. Anyone worried about it should seek medical help. There are medicines that can stop it in it’s tracks. It is not a weakness but a disease in many cases.

Meditation can also help enormously.

As for Bellamy this would explain his aggressiveness and bad temper - often symptoms of someone with depression.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Yes depression to some degree or another is very common. Anyone worried about it should seek medical help. There are medicines that can stop it in it’s tracks. It is not a weakness but a disease in many cases.

Meditation can also help enormously.

As for Bellamy this would explain his aggressiveness and bad temper - often symptoms of someone with depression.
    That's well put TopToon. Those of us who have been fortunate to have avoided it will understand better.

Very sad to read this, Craig Bellamy was also a former West Ham Utd Player, personally thought he was underrated for most of his career, never expected him to join us back in the day to be fair,
    Have personally been and witnessed numerous PTSD's in my long military career i can fathom where he's coming from and what he and his family have to deal with!
    all the best now mate
    john....

According to the World Health Organization there are currently 280 million people in the world with depression...

That's more than 4 times the population of the UK suffering with it......and that's not including the people who are undiagnosed

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...ail/depression

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)