+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Red card or not

Red card or not

Difficult decision for the referee giving Struijk a red card yesterday. I think it was red as the slightest misjudgement in that type of tackle can (and did) result in injury.

An interesting one.

If it was the tackle that caused the injury (as opposed to the player simply twisting his ankle) the red card was probably appropriate.

However the referee didn't even think it was a free kick let alone a red card. If it hadn't been for Salah's intervention the game would simply have continued.

The referee also didn't seem to go to a television monitor to view a replay of the tackle and form his own opinion.

If the player hadn't been injured would the VAR observer still have instructed the referee to show him a red card?

There was no intent, but he wasn’t in control of his trailing leg which caused a serious injury. However it was arrived at it was a straight red.

A two footed tackle from behind is a red card.

The referee made a mistake first off.

We don't know what was said to him via his ear piece, but I'm not sure of the value of him watching a replay.

So does anyone think he would have been sent off for the tackle if the player had got up and walked away uninjured?

Would the VAR observer still have instructed the referee to send him off?

You could argue a dangerous tackle like this was always going to injure the player to some extent, so it's a moot point.

But then again, it's impossible to say whether (in the event a miracle occured and) if there was no injury the VAR, or linesman would've called out the ref's initial error.

Who knows what might have happened?

I think we all probably agree that the extent of the injury should be irrelevant.

If it is a bad tackle it is a bad tackle.

Amazing then that the referee thought it was a perfectly fair tackle.

Presumably he will be given a rest from officiating until he has learned the rules?

I wouldn't mind seeing the tackle from the referee's perspective. They showed neither the tackle nor the injury on the highlights here (just the card) and I had to Google to find the incident itself.

From the ref's angle he might've seen the foot connecting with the ball and the two footed nature of the tackle might've been obscured by the angle.

What I don't really understand is how the Leeds players can complain about the card?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)