I was twelve or thir**** back then, a street urchin from Gwydir street. I am 64 now, thankfully back in Cambridgeshire after a walkabout. If you have lived in Cambs and nowhere else, you dont know how lucky you are to be here.

With the passage of time, witnesses to the first game must be dwindling, there was only 6,600 odd anyway. And while people like me still have their marbles it needs to be got down on paper how special that day was.

And all that went before. Being so young, and only watched United in the southern league, the football league coming to town was special, to say the least. Having watched United steamroller everyone year after year, subconsciously i still expect that, which isnt healthy.

And getting into the league was a momentous occasion, nationally.

The club needs to ask attendees back then to get their experience on paper, or now, on the internet, for posterity. I remember reading Lincoln signing Derek Trevis from Walsall pre season and thinking our goose was cooked.

The first away game was at Northampton, with Dennis Walker scoring in a 2-1 defeat, the first ever away goal a close range header. The coaches to that game filled the roads. The atmosphere was electric.

Dennis Walker spent afternoons at St Bedes where i went, with the sports master Mr Kearney. That mother, the headmaster, Mr Kent caught them chatting out back and went barmy. Mr Kent was only good with the psychos, because he was one, from the military.

Anyway, i could go on. Attendees experiences would be good in the programme. I am willing to write an article or several about those times.

And of course, learning from Mr Barry, who is skilled at fleecing United fans, without them knowing, my rates are reasonable. I can post a paying in number for anyone wanting anything further. I am at least up front about my need for cash. Think about it as feeding my birds and elephants.

As for the idea, no charge, but i would if i could.

Marge of Black Horse Drove.